Radar Detector plug-in? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Radar Detector plug-in?

This topic has probably been brought up before so sorry if this is a repeat, but I'm about to buy a radar detector and i noticed that the only place to plug it in is in the middle console!!?!. I don't believe that the wiring would reach and i like to hide my wiring even if it is just a radar detector. Am i wrong about this being the only power outlet? if not, doe anyway have a solution about wiring? Im sure plenty of people have radar detectors so any help is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I wired mine in the fuse panel located below the steering column on the left. There are 2 12 volt spades, one is constant 12 volt and the other is switched. I connected to the switched power. You may be able to find a hard wired kit for your unit.

Randy

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 PM

I put in a cobra radar detector, and i hid the wire just fine. I poped of the black plastic pannel on the top of the dash, and the went down from the edge of the plastic trim along the radio(right side that is). I didn't have to pop it off but i knida losened it up. You need to pop off the plastic trim peace that surrounds your shifter, while doing so discconect the ESC and Power Window Controls.This is where i acutally started to put the wire through the process. First i plug it into the power point in the arm rest. I put it under the rubber pad, and went through the hole provided. I made sure that the wire was not in the way of any divise by the shifter. Then I took the end that plugs into the actual radar dectector, and i guided it up through the minimal space you can see up through the plastic trim peace ( the only thing that i could find to do so was a plastic zip tie). After that it is cake guide to wire up through to your desired location. Then all you have to do is make sure all plastic pieces are secure and back in place. You plug in the wire on the left side of the radar dectector, and replace the top pannel. There You go buddy. Any questions just ask.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks for all the help.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:10 PM

no prob
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:35 AM

as an alternative to hard-wiring, I bought the "smokers" package (Part #92110979) to have an extra outlet. It was plug and play.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05LS2FAST View Post
This topic has probably been brought up before so sorry if this is a repeat, but I'm about to buy a radar detector and i noticed that the only place to plug it in is in the middle console!!?!. I don't believe that the wiring would reach and i like to hide my wiring even if it is just a radar detector. Am i wrong about this being the only power outlet? if not, doe anyway have a solution about wiring? Im sure plenty of people have radar detectors so any help is appreciated. Thanks
If you take the passenger side panel off the center stack, you will find a 12V connector there, which is used for BlueTooth in the Monaro. I bought a 12V accessory outlet, and connected it there to plug in my XM receiver. It is completely hidden when the side panel is put back on.

mac

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:59 AM

i know this is an old thread but you have any pics of the detector wire and the hows its hidden in the side panel?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgto7004 View Post
If you take the passenger side panel off the center stack, you will find a 12V connector there, which is used for BlueTooth in the Monaro. I bought a 12V accessory outlet, and connected it there to plug in my XM receiver. It is completely hidden when the side panel is put back on.

mac
I know this is an old thread as well, but would you happen to have any pics. Just a pic of this 12V connector with the panel off would be great.

Otherwise, by the center stack, are you referring to the center console where the shifter, e-brake, and center compartment are located? I have a radar detector that I have a direct wire kit for and want to hard wire it. If I can find the connector, I'll post some pics.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in