Radio is terrible - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Radio is terrible

OK...I bought my new GTO on xmas eve and I am thrilled. I do have one gripe. The stereo in this car is terrible. I have already made the amp correction mentioned in many of the posts, but I'm still not satisfied. The stereo does reasonably well with CD's, but when the radio is on the audio quality is lousy. Can any of you offer any suggestions to solve this problem....

Oh yeah... I am upset that my driver's doorlock came off in my hand and wont stay on anymore.....

Thanks,

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 04:17 AM

Look in your maual or do a search to figure out how to turn the "DDL" function of the stereo OFF.

It is a complete waste of an option and makes a HUGE difference in sound quality.

Enjoy the goat.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:50 AM

GTO Radio

I didn't care for the sound from the stock radio at all. I had a new unit installed, it sounds a hundred times better and I can hook up my XM. I haven't tried the amp adjustments to see what affect that has, will try that soon.

I will tell you be very careful if you replace the radio, hire a good installation company or person. I was going to do it myself but the unit I bought was very complicated and I could not find a whole lot of resources for the car. No direct installation kits, pretty much a custom job. For some reason the wireless entry isn't working since the new radio went in. I started a discussion on the site, if you are considering replacing the radio and care to follow the problem I had.

Good luck

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar2005
OK...I bought my new GTO on xmas eve and I am thrilled. I do have one gripe. The stereo in this car is terrible. I have already made the amp correction mentioned in many of the posts, but I'm still not satisfied. The stereo does reasonably well with CD's, but when the radio is on the audio quality is lousy. Can any of you offer any suggestions to solve this problem....

Oh yeah... I am upset that my driver's doorlock came off in my hand and wont stay on anymore.....

Thanks,

K
amp correction
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 08:11 AM

Sorry, not sure where I got amp from , I should have said radio. I have not tried the "DDL" setting. I guess that will not matter since I replaced the stock radio!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead
Sorry, not sure where I got amp from , I should have said radio. I have not tried the "DDL" setting. I guess that will not matter since I replaced the stock radio!
If the Goat was my daily driver, that stereo would be gone so fast. I want to curse GM for adding that POS as a "feature" of the goat! Anyway, try the DDL option. It makes a H U G E difference. The amp adjustment does help as well.

good luck.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsylvania Goat
If the Goat was my daily driver, that stereo would be gone so fast. I want to curse GM for adding that POS as a "feature" of the goat! Anyway, try the DDL option. It makes a H U G E difference. The amp adjustment does help as well.

good luck.
No one ever said the Aussies knew anything about stereos!!!!!HAHA!!!!

The DDL is a waste of time and programming....The amp adjustment helps a little. I personally fault the window antenna for poor radio reception. I have never been a big fan of them and they don't pick up that great. But I love the clean appearance on the outside.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealernut
No one ever said the Aussies knew anything about stereos!!!!!HAHA!!!!

The DDL is a waste of time and programming....The amp adjustment helps a little. I personally fault the window antenna for poor radio reception. I have never been a big fan of them and they don't pick up that great. But I love the clean appearance on the outside.
True, thats why you've got to turn that DDL OFF!!! That stereo left SO MUCH to be desired. The interior was....well....almost perfect!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsylvania Goat

good luck.

Okay, I went in and adjusted some of the settings...said 'NO' to the distortion setting...is that the same as the amp adjustment?

And I'm pretty happy with this factory setup. Not nearly as good as the Alpine system in my last ride, but not bad for stock...looks pretty cool too, imo.

Last edited by ModBoss2; 12-27-2005 at 10:51 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBoss2
Okay, I went in and adjusted some of the settings...said 'NO' to the distortion setting...is that the same as the amp adjustment?

And I'm pretty happy with this factory setup. Not nearly as good as the Alpine system in my last ride, but not bad for stock...looks pretty cool too, imo.
Boss: Yes! Kill that DDL! The amp adjustment must be made on the amp, however. That bad boy is in the trunk:

1) Pop the trunk
2) Pull lining down on left hand side of trunk
3) Contort your body, and reach up and turn the knob.

Not toooo much though. A mild adjustment brings a little more life out of the stereo IMO. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in