Sound sytem help - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sound sytem help

Does anyone know anything about the stock audio system in the 'o5? I have searched and can't find much first-hand info. I will definitely change out the head unit for an MP3 -no problem there. Where are all the speakers located, and what size are they? The ones I can find are all small (3in?) I would like to bump up the size and quality without cutting up my baby too much to put in more. I would also like to put in some 10s without losing trunk space or backseat. Any thoughts? I want to keep it as stock as possible 'cause it is still my daily driver, but I would also like more audio muscle in my muscle car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 03:15 PM

i just installed a system in my Goat . If you are concerned about space you will have to lose your spare and put big 12 sub there! i got 3 10's in the back EQ, 2 Capicitor, mtx thunder 1501D Mtx thunder 404 for highs no trunk space . this car will not have no space if you do a setup like mine but check aroud some people have a stealth like syytem check out the searh for systems.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

My other car has a boxed set of Punch tens in the trunk, two Rockford amps mounted on the back of the rear seats(which can drop flat) and I changed out two sixes and two six by nines with Infinity component speakers. Sony xplode head unit that flips closed and looks very stealth when off. I would like to transfer everything to the GTO, but none of it will fit!
How in the Hell is there more space in my Tiburon than My GTO?
It cheeses me off that the stock set up in the Goat is all small speakers.
Plus, I can't give up the spare, I have already replaced one tire. (did you know that a flat will not fit in the trunk?)
Thanks for the advice though.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 12:58 PM

I replaced the head unit with the Kenwood flip screen, DVD, CD, MP3 player. Switched out all the speakers with Mempis brand and then installed a huge Memphis 5 channel amp in the trunk, mounted on the gas tank frame. Finally the shop custom built two 10" sub boxes, one for each side of the trunk. They fit nicely and don't take up any trunk space. All in all a little over $5K spent but man, what a system!!.........

JET

2005 - Silver - A4
Maggie
Dynatech LT Headers
Magnaflow
Volant
Pedders Street II
AP Brake System
Memphis Speakers, Amp, (2) 10" Subs
Kenwood Flip Screen w/nav, dvd, etc.
19" Beyern 5 rims
JHP Gauge Pod
Tuning by RevExtreme - Sarasota
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 02:43 PM

All these kick*ss setups & no photos?????
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.E.T.
I replaced the head unit with the Kenwood flip screen, DVD, CD, MP3 player. Switched out all the speakers with Mempis brand and then installed a huge Memphis 5 channel amp in the trunk, mounted on the gas tank frame. Finally the shop custom built two 10" sub boxes, one for each side of the trunk. They fit nicely and don't take up any trunk space. All in all a little over $5K spent but man, what a system!!.........

JET
Who did your set-up?
I am now worried about a new head-unit being able to interface with the steering wheel controls and instrument cluster. Any problems there?
Photos would be sweet.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief D
Who did your set-up?
I am now worried about a new head-unit being able to interface with the steering wheel controls and instrument cluster. Any problems there?
Photos would be sweet.
I'll have to dig the photos out. I put 'em up at that "other" GTO site in the stereo section. You can go there and do a search to see 'em quicker. The shop that did the work does all my vehicles along with most of the high end work in central FL.

JET

2005 - Silver - A4
Maggie
Dynatech LT Headers
Magnaflow
Volant
Pedders Street II
AP Brake System
Memphis Speakers, Amp, (2) 10" Subs
Kenwood Flip Screen w/nav, dvd, etc.
19" Beyern 5 rims
JHP Gauge Pod
Tuning by RevExtreme - Sarasota
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 11:12 PM

Eclipse...

Hi guys,

i'm new hear to the GTO scene, I just came from the Scion Scene, I turned in my 05' Sooped up Xb for my goat.

I know hard core stereo's and also work for Fujitsu Who makes Eclipse Audio components. If you want the big boom without sacrificing minimal trunk space in the GTO, go Eclipse, they have the least Box surface requirments on the market. You can get a compact box inserted to the side of your trunk with one SW9120 or a SW9100. It will rump harder than any blaupunkt or any other dual sub set up out there. Just upgrade your other component speakers and definately your head unit for best sound quality and proper channeling. The speakers that come with the GTO are clearly teribble, and respectally shows how "Good" blaupunkt really is.

Anyway's, if anyone one lives in my area (Laguna Hills, CA - SowCow) and ever needs car stereo install help, i'm more that willing to volunteer to help out, that is if you provide lunch! LOL. I've installed custom stereo's for some years now, I know that Eclipse is at the top of the game when it comes to ultime sound quality.

I trust some will find this info helpfull, and for those whome already know car stereo lingo, respects... Enjoy.

Flame on...
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 12:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to tungstenmw
do the steering wheel controls still work with a newly installed audio system? that's gonna be the deciding factor as to if i upgrade the system or not

2006 Spice Red, 18" wheels, M6
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 12:47 PM

Goatman...you drove a scion XB ahhahahahahhaahahhaahaahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha hahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhaahhahah ahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ah

Well at least you came to your senses. I wouldn't tell too many people that. I'd rather drive a moped on the highway with a guy on the back and a rainbow sticker taped to my sped helmet

And I'm serious when I say that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in