Speaker question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Speaker question

I own an '04 GTO and I have the 6 disc in-dash Blaupunkt CD player. Stereo sounds pretty damn good for a factory unit. I don't think it is the Monsoon version it would say that somewhere correct?

Have you ever thought that the people you talk to online are perfectly normal....and that YOU are the psychopath?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 08:49 AM

Yeah the radio is Blaupunkt. As for everything else, we just replaced a door speaker at my work in a 04 and its a cheap speaker made in Korea.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 09:10 AM

The Head unit is a GM/Blaupunkt. The amp and head are decent, but the speakers are junk. Try a decent factory system like the Bose unit in other GM products or eq. I think you will walk away wondering why the goat sounds so crappy. It is not terrible, just not great either.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 09:20 AM

The amp for the bass is located in the trunk, drivers side, mounted on the inside fender. Pull the carpet back and adjust the knob on the amp.

Trust me, your stereo will sound WAY BETTER!!!

Just crank that knob up a bit...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 09:27 AM

Agreed, this trick helps, but just made mine more bumpy on the bottom end. Still little transparency, presence or range. New door speakers and dash tweeters are being sought.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 10:30 PM

Do yourself a favor, don't try to make it better. Make it gone and put in a better systm. The door speakers are crap and the door panel covers the top thrid of the speaker so even a good speaker won't sound much better. The rear sides are 6.5 crap but the opneings a 4.5, go figure. The mid-bass (not subs) are 6.5 paper donkeys as well. What passes for an amp in the rear is Malaysian junk and the head unit is marginal at best. By the way 200W right, how bout80 at 12V, the unit has to be at 16.2V to hit 200 and then with a bad distortion level. It's a shame that such a nice interior has such a crummy audio system. Oh and the tweeters should be mounted with the door speakers to keep the phase shift right, not four feet away on top of the dash.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 10:35 PM

But there's hope! I installed an Alpine IVA-W200, cd changer, nav and sound processor (the nav and 5.1 were in another car I was selling) matched to two PDX4-150 amps and coated the interior with B-Quiet Extreme (like Dynamat but cheaper). I like CDT speakers and installed them throughout save the subs which are Pionerr 8" shallow mounts. I also yanked out the original wires and used a JL Audio 2 amp install kit as well. Sounds much better. Your alternator is rated at 140A with a reserve of almost 60A, full able to handle a 1200W system
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 01:48 PM

Not everyone here is trying to “Pimp our ride”

The stereo does sound a little thin with factory setting but a little adjustment it can sound respectable….

Is there ever a “Factory” sound system that can match a $4000 after market system?

I guess it all depends on what you want… for me, it sounds great…
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 10:41 PM

That's tue, wasn't putting it down, for a factory radio it sounds alright. Just I spend a lot of time in my car traveling and I want it to sound nice (that's why I took the nav system out of my old car when I bought the Goat). Too many people think they can get great sound out of the factory system, you can't. The speakers are the weak link but if you go to hipo speakers the power of the system comes into play and if you put anything in the back to pick up the low frequencies the amp falls way short. And like I said, speaker placement is really wierd in our cars. Good thing is if you want to, it is fixable.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2006, 04:02 PM

The fact that a speaker has a paper cone doesn't make it crap. A paper cone is acoustically better than a metal or poly based one.

Look at the Bose speakers that all think sound so good. All have paper cones and fabric or foam surrounds.

I have Bose 301 Series V and Bose 201 Series IV powered by a Onkyo Reciever in my home and I wouldn't say the OE Blaupunkt sounds bad at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in