User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Speedometer problems

I have a 69 GTO and the last several cold (40 to 50 degrees) days I took the car out the Speedometer made a scraping like noise and the needle was bouncing around like crazy. It would go from 40 to 120 mph and back and forth. AFter stopping for breakfast the car sat in the sun and when I started it and drove on to the road the Speedo seem to work fine except for an occasional back and forth jumping. The scrapping noise also stopped or at least diminished quite a bit. I figure it is in the cable, maybe needs to be changed or lubricated. Could it also be in the speedo casing itself?. Any comments would be appreciated. thanks Soups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have the same problem in my 69. I changed the cable and it didn't help. It's not as bad as yours so I just live with it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Sure. It's not a difficult fix at all. The cable does need to be lubricated. Disconnect the cable at the transmission end then pull the center cable all the way out of the sheath. Get yourself some of this stuff:

Dorman Champ 9-1812 - Speedometer Cable Lubricant | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Lube the cable up good, slide it back in (twist it as you're pushing in the last few inches to make sure you re-engage the speedometer), reconnect and you should be in good shape.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the info. I will probably change the cable since I have no idea if it is the
original or not. They are not that expensive and pretty easy to install. I hope that is the problem. As you know if it is in the speedo head then that is a little more involved.
Soups
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Of course you're free to do as you like, but in my experience the reproduction cables brand new are poor substitutes for even worn factory originals. If'n it were me, I'd at least try to lube the original. If the results aren't satisfactory then the other option is still there.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in