User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Steering Wheel

Hey Everyone,

I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

My "Next" button located on my steering wheel broke. I was wondering if anyone knows how to replace it. I called the dealership and it appears that the entire unit (meaning both sides) is one unit.

I have a feeling that I would need a special tool to take off the steering wheel and that the air bag needs to be taken of as well.

Thanks in advance,

glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:14 AM

Not sure about a special tool....all the airbags I have done are a Torx screw under a little plastic cap. Two screws...airbag comes out and it'll expose a clock spring..unplug and you should be golden. I really don't think you need to take the wheel off, I'll have to check on mine..

04 Torrid Red/Red A4
Pacesetter LTs & midpipes, Magnaflow SpunCats and Dual Magnaflow CB

06 PBM/Black M6
Stainless Works LTs Random Tech Cats and 3" Stainless Works CB
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdub View Post
Not sure about a special tool....all the airbags I have done are a Torx screw under a little plastic cap. Two screws...airbag comes out and it'll expose a clock spring..unplug and you should be golden. I really don't think you need to take the wheel off, I'll have to check on mine..

Thanks alot for the info; one last question, I am assuming that the plastic cover is just clipped on?

Thanks again,

Glenn

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 08:31 AM

Done this before. 1st disconnect your battery. Then remove the air bag. Unfortunatly there is a special tool for this (see pic), but if your handy you can use 2 allen wrenches to "pop" the two left air bag release springs to loosen the left side of the bag, then do the same for the right. Once the bag is out of the way, remove the wheel bolt (see pic). NOTE: this wheel does NOT have a master spline. You can put this wheel back on crooked, so MARK YOUR SPLINES with a sharpie before pulling the wheel. At this point, my wheel pulled right off without the aid of a wheel puller.

Once the wheel is off you will have access to the screws that hold the switches and trim covers on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	w.gif
Views:	283
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	2362   Click image for larger version

Name:	w2.gif
Views:	262
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	2363  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in