Steering wheel buttons - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Steering wheel buttons

the 'next' button, the one in the center, has broke off. I was able to pull it and check everything out, it is held on by 2 little plastic tabs in the back that have broke. without the tabs holding it in place it just simply rattles around in there. is there any way I can secure it and still have it functional?
here of some pics of what im talking about
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	411763_454189477940774_100000491761736_1712988_1286727985_o.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	14676   Click image for larger version

Name:	456413_454189391274116_100000491761736_1712987_1404158249_o.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	14677  

Difflow diffuser, K&N intake, x pipe only exhaust, HO alternator, pioneer touch screen, 55w HID's, 35w fogs, halo/projector headlights, fender stripe, 5%-15% window tint, black lug nut caps, black side markers, more to come

Last edited by Papa Rad; 05-05-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
epoxy it?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
epoxy it?
i tried gorilla super glue and couldn't get it to stay on. the first time that stuff has never worked for me.

Difflow diffuser, K&N intake, x pipe only exhaust, HO alternator, pioneer touch screen, 55w HID's, 35w fogs, halo/projector headlights, fender stripe, 5%-15% window tint, black lug nut caps, black side markers, more to come

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
gorilla glue needs one surface to be wet for it to adhere too. When it begins to cure it foams and expands. Plastic is not porous and that glue probably won't work as you have found besides it may be a nightmare for you on something like this. Try a 2 part epoxy. OR... if you don't care if it ever needs to be removed try JB weld (just a little dab on the contact points. You'll never get it off again though.

If it were me I'd try hot glue if that don't work wrapping the sides with black electrical tape to make it snug. Force it in see if it works then use a fine exacto knife to trim excess tape away. If you get it to stay and looks good don't use the button use the dash control.

www.gtoaa.org

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

^not that kind. I used the super glue kind. its clear, doesn't foam, and doesn't need to have a surface wet and dries in minuets. best stuff EVER!. I like the hot glue idea, might give that a shot after work. I just wish there was a way I could get in there to put a zip tie around it, I would think that would hold it in place decent and keep it functional.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Just an update, I finally got around to working on it. the hot glue it most definitely the way to go for this. an entire new switch was going to be WAY to much. I started by putting a decent bead along the back of it where it was broke, after letting it dry it wasn't quite secure so I pulled it up a bit and put a small dap along the outer edge to hold it in place good. after letting it dry its in secure and it takes a harder push, but is still functional.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad View Post
Just an update, I finally got around to working on it. the hot glue it most definitely the way to go for this. an entire new switch was going to be WAY to much. I started by putting a decent bead along the back of it where it was broke, after letting it dry it wasn't quite secure so I pulled it up a bit and put a small dap along the outer edge to hold it in place good. after letting it dry its in secure and it takes a harder push, but is still functional.
glad it worked.

www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in