Stereo Question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stereo Question

Hello all, I just got my 04 M4 GTO 2 weeks ago, and so far I am loving it.

I just have one question about the way the speakers are set up.

I am looking to replace all the speakers and my one main question is about the "speakers/subthings" in the back. From my understanding these are just 6.5 inch woofers that produce bass? Would it be possible to upgrade/replace them with lets say a component speakers? Like the new Alpine-Rs? Just install the woofers for bass?

I also looked into 6 inch subwoofers but I am not sure if they will fit or not. Depth wise anyways.

Any information would be great!

Thanks in advanced!

The Shoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 10:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Devils3023
The stock rear deck speakers are just 6.5" free air mid-bass subs. They're actually not that bad for stock, but yes you can replace them with any 6.5" speakers you want. I changed out mine and put a pair of polk momo's in there and a 12" sub in the spare tire well in the trunk. If you just wanna change the speakers and keep the factory headunit/amp setup than you'll have some trouble as i believe these speakers were only 1ohm or 2ohm. Good luck and lemmee know if you have any questions!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 12:02 PM

Hey shoe,
I saw a post over on ls1gto.com where a fella installed 8 in subs in the rear deck stock locations. You may want to do a search there to see how he did it. I seem to recall it involved trimming the mounting rings for the stocks to insert the 8s.
Also, your concern about depth is valid. There is a mounting bolt for the gas tank frame only about 1/2 inch below the magnet of the speaker. I don't know how much room there is between the top of the speaker and the underside of the deck mounted grille. I have never had mine apart. If there is some room there, you may be able to fasion a spacer to gain some back clearance.

Russ

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoemocker View Post
Hello all, I just got my 04 M4 GTO 2 weeks ago, and so far I am loving it.

I just have one question about the way the speakers are set up.

I am looking to replace all the speakers and my one main question is about the "speakers/subthings" in the back. From my understanding these are just 6.5 inch woofers that produce bass? Would it be possible to upgrade/replace them with lets say a component speakers? Like the new Alpine-Rs? Just install the woofers for bass?

I also looked into 6 inch subwoofers but I am not sure if they will fit or not. Depth wise anyways.

Any information would be great!

Thanks in advanced!

The Shoe
I thought about doing the samething just using 2ohm component speakers without the tweets for the subs. The rear deck speakers are driven off of the rear side panel speakers via amp. Have you tried turing the amp up alittle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgto7004 View Post
Hey shoe,
I saw a post over on ls1gto.com where a fella installed 8 in subs in the rear deck stock locations. You may want to do a search there to see how he did it. I seem to recall it involved trimming the mounting rings for the stocks to insert the 8s.
Also, your concern about depth is valid. There is a mounting bolt for the gas tank frame only about 1/2 inch below the magnet of the speaker. I don't know how much room there is between the top of the speaker and the underside of the deck mounted grille. I have never had mine apart. If there is some room there, you may be able to fasion a spacer to gain some back clearance.

Russ
I saw that awile back, he is going to need an aftermarket head-unit and amp to drive some 8" subs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in