User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
subwoofer setup idea?

im new to gto's and I recently changed my head unit because my factory stereo was jammed. I added a jl 10w7. However, as you probably know, there is practically no airflow from the trunk. Therefore, my sub is barely noticable. The air has nowhere to go. Which rattles the hell out of my rear speaker deck. I was thinking about removing the 2 rear speakers and just adding 2 tweeters. without the rear speakers the subwoofer will actually be heard and with a big subwoofer the rear speakers are really only needed for the highs. What do you think. Has anyone else done this???

My exhaust is the alarm clock for everyone on my route to work. Your Welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 12:21 AM

I have heard of people putting 10s in the side behind the driver/passenger seats. I have also heard that it is possible, with some modifications, to fit 10s where the woofers are. I have seen people put 8s where the woofers are located and hear that it is fairly easy.

What did you end up doing?

I've never "taken a s*** because getting it out of the toilet would be disgusting. - Me
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel the legend View Post
I have heard of people putting 10s in the side behind the driver/passenger seats. I have also heard that it is possible, with some modifications, to fit 10s where the woofers are. I have seen people put 8s where the woofers are located and hear that it is fairly easy.

What did you end up doing?
I saw that done... but if screws anyone that sits in the back seats if you have the radio on. Sucks to have subs hit right next to you.

My favorite spot would be to remove the spair and mount the sub in the floor of the trunk and maybe mount the amp to the frame of the fuel tank.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:23 PM

I also thought about removing the factory subs, but that idea was shot down when I was told that the noise from the fuel pump would be too loud . Please let us know if you go through with it, and how it sounds. After reading the posts above , I'm frustrated.. Wish I could relocate that gas tank
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith2 View Post
I also thought about removing the factory subs, but that idea was shot down when I was told that the noise from the fuel pump would be too loud . Please let us know if you go through with it, and how it sounds. After reading the posts above , I'm frustrated.. Wish I could relocate that gas tank
Can you hear the fuel pump with the radio turned off?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 12:44 AM

Currently, no. The factory subs are still in place. I will be removing them in a week or two(pending the weather) to find out for myself. Was hoping on keeping the interior looking stock with the exception of the radio. and not sacrificing my spare tire or the rear side panels.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:42 AM

I removed the stock subs and replaced with 8" kicker comp subs and ran a kicker 300.1 amp. Sounds good. Here's a detailed write up of the install, this write up isn't mine but it's what I copied. Just make sure you get some dynomat or off brand sound deadning stuff to line the rear deck all the way down to where the seat bottoms are or you will have a lot of rattle. This system won't slam, but it's the best option I could find. I'm happy with the results and you won't lose trunk space.
GTO Sub Install
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
I saw that done... but if screws anyone that sits in the back seats if you have the radio on. Sucks to have subs hit right next to you.

My favorite spot would be to remove the spair and mount the sub in the floor of the trunk and maybe mount the amp to the frame of the fuel tank.
Doesn't the trunk totally kill the sub? I would imagine that you have to remove the factory woofers to let some of the sound through...

I've heard of people putting a big money 15" in the spare well and complain that it sounded like it was in the car behind them.

I've never "taken a s*** because getting it out of the toilet would be disgusting. - Me
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 12:04 PM

Yes if you just put a sub in the trunk it will sound like crap. I tried putting a kicker solobaric L7 12 in a ported box in the trunk and u are exactly right, it sounded like it was coming from the car behind me. It just rattled the **** out of the trunk and almost nothing made it into the cab of the car. The fuel tank and solid firewall seperating the trunk block everything. Removing the factory subs will let some pass through but you are going to hear the fuel pump especially at idle. It's louder than you think. The only options for our car is to replace the factory subs with a 8" free air capable sub like the kicker comp and run a small amp, or make custom box to stuff in the fender in the back seat replacing the rear speakers and move them to where the stock subs were. With this you could get a decent 10" in each side but airspace for the enclosure and mounting depth would be an issue so you would have to run a shallow mount sub probably, and it would suck for anyone that ever say in the back seat (not that anyone ever does in a gto).
Putting 8" kicker comps in the rear deck is the cheapest and easiest option, and gives a pretty good sound. It's not gonna slam if your used to something huge but I'm happy with the end result
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 02:04 AM

What results, if any has anyone had with a sealed box? I run all the 6.5's with a 250hz bass block and a single 12 in a sealed box and as far as sound quality goes its fantastic. and kept the stock head unit. its enough to feel through the seat, but not obnoxious. and you really cant hear it outside the car. something your neighbors might appreciate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in