switched power - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
switched power

I'm trying to use the 3-pin plug that is for the smoker's package to get power to my XM radio. I cut the plug off the xm power cord and put on two crimp-on connectors. No matter which of the 3 pins I use, I can't get the xm2go to power up. Any ideas?

This is what it looks like with nothing plugged in

and this is what it looks like with my crimp-on connectors attached to two of the pins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_burrito
I'm trying to use the 3-pin plug that is for the smoker's package to get power to my XM radio. I cut the plug off the xm power cord and put on two crimp-on connectors. No matter which of the 3 pins I use, I can't get the xm2go to power up. Any ideas?

This is what it looks like with nothing plugged in

and this is what it looks like with my crimp-on connectors attached to two of the pins.
I'm not trying to be an ass but you may want to get a wire tester and check the pins to figure out which one is providing the acc power. Connect the tester to a ground (bare metal) turn your ignittion to the acc position and test each of the plug. when you find one that lights up turn the ignition off and retest to make sure it doesn't light up and that is you acc pin. To figure out ground connect wire tester to acc pin turn ignition off and test the other pins if it lights up then that is your ground(-) pin.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

I know I'm probably going to have to wind up going that route. The thing is that I've tried every possible combination and none of them have worked. There's only 6 possible combinations.

1A
2B

1A
3B

2A
3B

1B
2A

1B
3A

2B
3A

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 09:27 PM

I did same. I think power was top left and use ground screw in floar for ground. Pull fuse to make sure, 1 is hot for ilumination. Think its largest wire just make sure. Dont want to make mistake on wiring the way cars are now.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

On the power wire for the XM, which wire would be the postitive and which the ground? One is black and the other is black with a white dashed stripe on it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

So, now I've got everything figured out, I think, but I keep blowing the 20A fuse. I don't understand why the XM can run off of the outlet in the armrest with a 20A fuse, but can't run off of the hardwired solution with the same size fuse. I guess I'm off ot Pep Boys to stock up on fuses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in