Torn seats NOT covered under extended warranty - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Torn seats NOT covered under extended warranty

I was going to reply on an older thread as an update, but I chose to make a new thread hoping that more people will read this...

I finally went to the dealer to show them the split at the seams on one of my rear seats. He was knowledgeable about the problem and stated that yes it is a common problem and that it is from shrinkage in the sun. He suggest to tint the rear window to help prevent it from happening again.

When we went back to his computer, he pulled up my account and asked how many miles I had. This is when he informed me that "interior fit and finish" components of a vehicle are only covered "3 years, 36,000 miles" even thought I purchased the 5 year, 60,000 mile warranty.

So now I have to go find a business that specializes in sewing the seat back together and pay out of pocket. And now I see this post about the fuel rail (or whatever) that rubs, leaks, and may result in a fire. Huh, smartbuy is up in a few months...I'll be damned if I'm going to pay 400 plus a month on a balloon payment and then worry about maintenance. I think I'm gonna bail in April.

Jon
'87 Z28 with mods | '05 GTO - Red on Red A4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
If you purchased the GMPP, the fuel line is covered.
The seats are not. The dealer does have the option to help you out on this. Being they know about this they should help you with this. It would be in their best interest to do this (depending on just how far from warranty you are.)

I never heard of seats shrinking. If leather seats shrink then why isn't this happening to Vets, etc? My opinion is the threads are getting sun rot or is being affected by the heat and deteriorating. Bad thread maybe?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:23 AM

that's my guess as well...good luck to a good guy...go get 'em GTOJon.
Bill

**QSM/RH/A4/17**1 of 52**
Like what you've got?...Thank a Vet!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOJon View Post
He was knowledgeable about the problem and stated that yes it is a common problem and that it is from shrinkage in the sun.
Ahhhhhh! So that's why they keep our cows in the shade out here in Cali.

He may be knowledgeable about the problem but he damn sure doesn't have a clue about why it's happening.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

I have a little over 50,000 miles...which means I have 10,000 left on the warranty OR another 16 months.

When I was leaving, the guy said he will talk to his manager to see what they can do. The problem is, the place they would bring it to is an HOUR drive away! So one of the employees would be driving the car... This dealer I go to is already 33 miles away in one direction. I go to them for the more 'detailed' or 'important' things. If it's just an oil change, I go to the dealer that's only 5 miles away.

I made an appointment for Monday anyway for 1) oil change 2) belt chirps a little when starting the car for the first time, hopefully tensioner under warranty, 3) something in the dashboard rattles continuously while driving, sounds like the defogger vent on driver's side.

I always bring them a list LOL...so maybe they'll take care of me since they know I am meticulous about things.....OR they'll do just the opposite!

Jon

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

OH CRAP, and thanks for the reminder: 4) check/fix fuel rail line. I gotta write all this down. I'd hate to forget something after driving that far!

I forgot to mention. I wonder if the G8's have this problem too. I described the problem to the guy and before he opened my account on the computer he said, let's have a look. As we were about to walk out of the door he said, oh is it a G8?

So either a) the G8's have this problem too, or b) he saw my car and accidentally said G8 while thinking GTO...because all I could say was 'no it's the'.....and he finished my sentence, GTO.

Jon

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 02:41 PM

split seams

Aw, crap. I just noticed mine split in four places, and I see from the discussion that extended warranty doesn't cover. I have a 2005, and it does sit in the sun while I'm at work. This is pretty bogus, if you ask me.

Gary Livick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOJon View Post
I was going to reply on an older thread as an update, but I chose to make a new thread hoping that more people will read this...

I finally went to the dealer to show them the split at the seams on one of my rear seats. He was knowledgeable about the problem and stated that yes it is a common problem and that it is from shrinkage in the sun. He suggest to tint the rear window to help prevent it from happening again.

When we went back to his computer, he pulled up my account and asked how many miles I had. This is when he informed me that "interior fit and finish" components of a vehicle are only covered "3 years, 36,000 miles" even thought I purchased the 5 year, 60,000 mile warranty.

So now I have to go find a business that specializes in sewing the seat back together and pay out of pocket. And now I see this post about the fuel rail (or whatever) that rubs, leaks, and may result in a fire. Huh, smartbuy is up in a few months...I'll be damned if I'm going to pay 400 plus a month on a balloon payment and then worry about maintenance. I think I'm gonna bail in April.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 12:08 AM

My girlfriend just had her rear sets done under her warrenty. It is covered if the stiching pulls apart. They order new covers, install them, your car smells brand new for awhile, and the rear seats looks like poo for a few weeks while the foam fills the leather again.

BUT IT IS COVERED. There is a Pontiac dealer in Limerick, PA. Ask for Angel. He knows all us local GTO owners. He also has a sweet turbo Viper.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 06:18 AM

so it IS covered under the EXTENDED warranty...not the 3 year 36K mile warranty???
Bill

**QSM/RH/A4/17**1 of 52**
Like what you've got?...Thank a Vet!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
My girlfriend just had her rear sets done under her warrenty. It is covered if the stiching pulls apart. They order new covers, install them, your car smells brand new for awhile, and the rear seats looks like poo for a few weeks while the foam fills the leather again.

BUT IT IS COVERED. There is a Pontiac dealer in Limerick, PA. Ask for Angel. He knows all us local GTO owners. He also has a sweet turbo Viper.
Can you be specific about your girlfriend's warranty? Is her warranty the 'original' warranty or does she have an extended warranty?

It IS covered under the 36,000 mile warranty, yes. But I paid extra at the beginning to have the 5 year 60,000 warranty. The dealer said that even though I got this extended warranty from the start (brand new), such a repair is still only covered up to the 36,000.

With that said, is your girlfriend's car 3/36,000?

Jon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in