Valentine 1 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Valentine 1

A couple years back I used to have a Valentine 1 in my SSEi UNTIL one Sunday afternoon when the wife and I were out riding my bike it came up missing. Always kept the car locked except for this one time when I forgot to lock it after retrieving something from the car that morning. Anyway, whoever came by to visit decided they needed the V1 more than I did.

Come Monday morning, I will be ordering another V1 and I have a couple of questions to ask from any of you guys who have already mounted the V1 in your Goats.

First of all, it looks like the best mounting position (to make the V1 less obvious to those outside the car and provide the rear detection antenna a clear shot backward) is probably going to be high on the windshield just to the left of the rearview mirror. This puts the V1 behind the windshield tinting which I understand that in some cases, depending on the type tint it is, can degrade the detectors performance. My old detector in the SSEi was behind the tint but it wasn't a problem. How about the Goat's tinting and it's effects on reception sensitivity?

Secondly, it's obvious that the V1 will have to hardwired into the electrical system somehow. Looks to me like the best way is to go down the drivers side windshield post to the fuse box. Is there a better way to hardwire it with the detector mounted high on the windshield?

Finally, if I am doing 160 and get a radar hit at say 1/2 mile distance, if I lock it up will I be safely at the legal speed limit as I slide past the cop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 11:52 AM

First y would u b crusing @ 160 y not open her up! Second Cop would not see you for all the SMOKE!
This should be good if you donít have front ashtray lighter option. There is a plug behind where ash tray would be can be accessed from suede panel on passenger side of console has 3 male spades inside open connector mounted to back of strut. 1 is fused 20amp marked lighter in box. I use this for several accessories good heavy P.S.. This will help and WTH is a good link ďhttp://members.cox.net/05gto/
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 12:47 PM

As far as your analysis on mounting position, that's exactly where I have mine. It's almost impossible to see outside the car and it's even survived the car being inadvertantly left unlocked several times overnight.

My power wire runs right down the A pillar (by the windshield) and the power supply thing-a-ma-jig plugs right into the fuse box with no fancy wiring needed.

I used to swap the V1 between the car and my old truck and never noticed any difference between it being behind the tint on the GTO and on the dash of the truck.

As far as your last question, I really can't answer it...

04 QuickSilver - !CAGS, Lingenfelter CAI, 05 Bumper with Stainless Works 04->05 cat back, Power Slot Rotors & Hawk pads.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonfarmer
A couple years back I used to have a Valentine 1 in my SSEi UNTIL one Sunday afternoon when the wife and I were out riding my bike it came up missing. Always kept the car locked except for this one time when I forgot to lock it after retrieving something from the car that morning. Anyway, whoever came by to visit decided they needed the V1 more than I did.

Come Monday morning, I will be ordering another V1 and I have a couple of questions to ask from any of you guys who have already mounted the V1 in your Goats.

First of all, it looks like the best mounting position (to make the V1 less obvious to those outside the car and provide the rear detection antenna a clear shot backward) is probably going to be high on the windshield just to the left of the rearview mirror. This puts the V1 behind the windshield tinting which I understand that in some cases, depending on the type tint it is, can degrade the detectors performance. My old detector in the SSEi was behind the tint but it wasn't a problem. How about the Goat's tinting and it's effects on reception sensitivity?

Secondly, it's obvious that the V1 will have to hardwired into the electrical system somehow. Looks to me like the best way is to go down the drivers side windshield post to the fuse box. Is there a better way to hardwire it with the detector mounted high on the windshield?

Finally, if I am doing 160 and get a radar hit at say 1/2 mile distance, if I lock it up will I be safely at the legal speed limit as I slide past the cop?
I wanted to get away from any visible stuff like radar detectors, GPS, etc. They're just thief magnets IMO. For this car I went with the top of the line BEL unit with front and rear laser mounts, etc. Cost was $1,300 installed. For GPS I changed out my HU with the new Kenwood flip screen, DVD, etc. Cost installed was $2,300. Look into the BEL, outstanding units.

JET
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf
As far as your analysis on mounting position, that's exactly where I have mine. It's almost impossible to see outside the car and it's even survived the car being inadvertantly left unlocked several times overnight.

My power wire runs right down the A pillar (by the windshield) and the power supply thing-a-ma-jig plugs right into the fuse box with no fancy wiring needed.

I used to swap the V1 between the car and my old truck and never noticed any difference between it being behind the tint on the GTO and on the dash of the truck.

As far as your last question, I really can't answer it...
Thanks much. That's what I was hoping to hear. Now gotta wait till Monday when Valentine opens up after the holidays.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 03:06 PM

do you have any photos of the Kenwood install? Curious how it looks inj place of the stock.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMoonShine
do you have any photos of the Kenwood install? Curious how it looks inj place of the stock.
Yea, I posted everything I've done, interior and exterior wise on that "other" GTO board.

JET
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonfarmer

I would think that if you are doing 160 and you see a cop (especially if he is only doing 55) then you would be better off hitting the gas, not the brakes... Just put enough distance between him and you so that he doesn't see what exit you are taking and get off the highway.... by the time he gets to the same exit you'll be long gone. Can the cop cars even hit 160? Somehow I doubt it.
And I seriously doubt that he'll have the time to read your license plate at speeds over 100 mph.

On the other hand if you are doing 160 then you'll cover 1/2 a mile in about 12 seconds. Think you can slow down from 160 to 60 in 12 seconds without causing an accident?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 08:52 AM

Radars used in 90% of portal vehicles on the road today are the Stalker Radar. The stalker is the best on the market. I have seen the Stalker pick up a car approaching more than 3/4 mile away, so you better watch out.
Now let me let you in on something, a patrol car travailing say 45-55 mph will have a harder time checking a vehicle travailing more than 140 mph. An example Ė where you can check the speed of a vehicle travailing say 100 at 3/4 miles, the same vehicle travailing 160 it may not check it till Ĺ mile away. Donít ask why, itís just the way it is, from everything I have seen.
The odds on a police officer reading your LP. at speeds more than 100 is almost ZERO, But the camera is something else if itís activated we can slow the video down to get your LP, now your in trouble. Just something to think about.
If you get stopped for that kind of speed your 99.00% going to jail for the night.
Below is the car I drive Every day at work. If your wondering how fast, best I have seen is 134 mph, so no it will not touch you at 160, now the radio will reach you if your doing 500+.

[IMG][/IMG]
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx evo
Radars used in 90% of portal vehicles on the road today are the Stalker Radar. The stalker is the best on the market. I have seen the Stalker pick up a car approaching more than 3/4 mile away, so you better watch out.
Now let me let you in on something, a patrol car travailing say 45-55 mph will have a harder time checking a vehicle travailing more than 140 mph. An example Ė where you can check the speed of a vehicle travailing say 100 at 3/4 miles, the same vehicle travailing 160 it may not check it till Ĺ mile away. Donít ask why, itís just the way it is, from everything I have seen.
The odds on a police officer reading your LP. at speeds more than 100 is almost ZERO, But the camera is something else if itís activated we can slow the video down to get your LP, now your in trouble. Just something to think about.
If you get stopped for that kind of speed your 99.00% going to jail for the night.
Below is the car I drive Every day at work. If your wondering how fast, best I have seen is 134 mph, so no it will not touch you at 160, now the radio will reach you if your doing 500+.

[IMG][/IMG]
Thats good info man. I appreciate it. I personally got caught going 130 on a completely deserted road @3:00 AM. I had just tuned the car and I wanted to stretch her legs. Well low and behold there is Florida Highway Patrol snoozing in the median. I pulled over got out of the car, walked to the back of the car, and leaned against the back before the car even came over the 1st overpass that I went. He pulled up with gun drawn and I was certain I would go to jail. He gave me a lecture got about 20 mintues. I finally got a little tired of the lecture and said "look man I just got the car and just got it tuned. I was not out here to cause trouble. If your going to arrest me then lets get it done with. Becasue my wife will have to come and bail me out so I can take the kids to school tomorrow."

He ended up letting me off and about a month later came into the dealership and bought a GTO from me. He currently has bought 3 cars from me and is a regular buddy now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in