Windows "Auto-Up" - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Windows "Auto-Up"

Many of the cars I drove in Europe had the power window "auto-up" feature, where you did not need to hold the power window button constantly to roll up the window. This is the exact opposite of the auto down feature of our goat power windows. Does anyone know if this feature could be programmed into the body control module (BCM), if that is what is controlling the power window functions?

Last edited by bergenfelter; 05-12-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 10:06 PM

lol why don't you just flip the motor upside down?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 12:14 AM

I think if they did that they would also need a safety down system so it didn't chop anyone's limbs off. Liability concern? Cost factor?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 12:28 AM

My wife's last car, a BMW, had that feature and I loved it. Comes in handy because if your accelerating you had to go back and forth from swithing gears to holding the button. I have heard of car alarms, I think the fomer clifford "smart windows 4", had a feature that if you had the module to control the windows via remote you could also have the auto-up feature. If you have any good alarm shops in your area try them they should be able to help you out more.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 11:44 AM

I don't know where a window motor could be purchased that does this. Does anyone know how the Monaro window acts? Ie does it have auto-down, auto-up, both, neither?

On a slightly different note, I understand that we don't get auto-up because of potential injury (a kid/dog could hang their head out the window, bump the auto-up button, and take a slight injury), but it would be nice if you could opt for this feature in some way--of course it would never happen, but it would be cool if there were to be like a "safety release" button that you had to press every time you started the car to enable auto-up, after which you could use auto-up.

(When I was a kid, this actually happened to me. I was sticking my head out the window trying to look at something, and my mom rolled the window up on my head. Can't remember if it was hand crank or power window. Anyway, I could say anything to let my mom know my head was stuck cuz I couldn't open my jaw :P But it didn't hurt that bad, just smarted a bit and wore off after about 1/2 hr.)

06 IBM/blue M6 18"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless
(When I was a kid, this actually happened to me. I was sticking my head out the window trying to look at something, and my mom rolled the window up on my head. Can't remember if it was hand crank or power window. Anyway, I could say anything to let my mom know my head was stuck cuz I couldn't open my jaw :P But it didn't hurt that bad, just smarted a bit and wore off after about 1/2 hr.)
Same happened here when I was four or five. Pulling away from a Jersey toll booth -- my Mom points out a race car on a trailer. I stick my head out the window to look -- and Dad puts the window up. Closed right on my throat. Fortunately, my Dad's car was a 1966 T-Bird -- which had a huge 3/4 wide strip of chrome across the top of the window glass. No injuries other than temporarily being completely freaked out.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergenfelter
Many of the cars I drove in Europe had the power window "auto-up" feature, where you did not need to hold the power window button constantly to roll up the window. This is the exact opposite of the auto down feature of our goat power windows. Does anyone know if this feature could be programmed into the body control module (BCM), if that is what is controlling the power window functions?
This is a feature I think about the goat not having everytime I use it in my '04 Maxima. I love it and use it all the time.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6QTS11OZ
This is a feature I think about the goat not having everytime I use it in my '04 Maxima. I love it and use it all the time.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 06:52 PM

Our '02 Jetta had that and it was great. I seen someone on www.explorerforum.com add power down to the passenger side so I think if you found the right type of switch, it wouldn't be impossible. Good luck!

'05 QSM M6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in