Windshield Question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Windshield Question

Anyone else have distortion when looking out the windshield right above the hood line on up to about 4 inches from either side or have I got an issue ??

Thanks, Gpr1200r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 03:18 PM

Yeah I have the same issue on mine. The glass is distorted around the outer perimeter. I had the dealer I purchased the vehicle from take a look at it, and they saw the distortion, but they don't want to do anything about it.

Now that I've had the car for awhile (a whopping 1,500 miles!), I'm getting used to it (sadly) and starting to ignore it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpr1200r
Anyone else have distortion when looking out the windshield right above the hood line on up to about 4 inches from either side or have I got an issue ??

Thanks, Gpr1200r
There should be NO distortions in the windshield. What you are describing is a blemish in the glass. That should be replaced under warranty.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO judge
There should be NO distortions in the windshield. What you are describing is a blemish in the glass. That should be replaced under warranty.

Tell me about it; you should've heard the excuse the tech gave me: " The car is from Australia and therefore it's different...." after that one, "the glass is laminated and that's why the distortions show..." After telling him that all car glass is laminated for safety reasons, I decided to pursue it with another dealership at a later date. I feel they would've done more harm than good.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 09:10 PM

I have the same distortion and just assumed it was normal for the curvature of the glass in that location. Every car I have ever owned has had distortion at the edges and the curves. Its just the optical qualities of curved glass and how it bends light.
I guess since I'm looking out the top few inches of the glass, I never really pay attention to it. Look at a few others if you can, but I think its our glass.

2004 QuickSilver GTO
M6
Stock
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus05GTO
Tell me about it; you should've heard the excuse the tech gave me: " The car is from Australia and therefore it's different...." after that one, "the glass is laminated and that's why the distortions show..." After telling him that all car glass is laminated for safety reasons, I decided to pursue it with another dealership at a later date. I feel they would've done more harm than good.
Be animate about replacing the windshield. You should never have a "looking out of a coke bottle effect" when looking through any part of a windshield. Windshields are laminated, that's why they don't shatter like regular glass when broken. You are dealing with an inept garage guru.

If you pursue this and have it replaced, you may want to consider having the dealer order a GTO windshield, and have it installed by a glass expert.

The distortions are unacceptable.

www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 09:20 AM

Fun House Glass

I posted my own thread about this a long time ago. I don't believe our windshields are a particularly quality piece of glass. Sitting in the driver's seat at a traffic light, I amuse myself by looking to my right, through the passenger-side portion of the windshield, and moving my head side-to-side to watch the way the scenery warps. It's the oblique angle that points out the flaws: Looking straight ahead, all appears fine . . . which is why I'm not going to have the windshield replaced.

The flaws in my glass seem like a series of vertical lines, almost like what you'd find on an accordion. If I focus on a fixed object outside the car while seated inside, swaying back and forth makes that object look like a cork bobbing on a ripply lake.

Our side glass is good stuff, made by Pilkington. You can find their logo on it if you go look. The windshield, by contrast, appears to be sourced from China.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 09:39 AM

I got the same thing, but also it appears to have tiny air bubbles in it. I can clean the bejebers out of it and they're still there, so that leads me to believe they are in the laminate between the glass. I'll take it to the dealer sometime...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Kid

The flaws in my glass seem like a series of vertical lines, almost like what you'd find on an accordion. If I focus on a fixed object outside the car while seated inside, swaying back and forth makes that object look like a cork bobbing on a ripply lake.

The windshield, by contrast, appears to be sourced from China.
This is a serious situation. Your windshield will in time act like a magnifying glass, and when you least expect it, while driving and while pointed towards the sun, your dash board will catch fire. Kind of like putting a magnifying glass on ants.

The windshield in that state will intensify the suns rays and you will develop burn spots on your dash. Worse yet, you may have it parked in the sun and come out to see your car a flame because a bunch of rabid little Chinamen didn't take lamination classes at Wal-Mart U.

www.gtoaa.org

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 05:42 PM

I plan on following up on the issue with my windshield, plus a few minor issues that I took my car in for, it just won't be at the dealership I've been using. It was basically over when the tech tried snowballing me with the "laminate" statement when car safety glass has been around longer than I've been alive. One of the underlying issues is in some of the dealerships themselves: the gamble of getting top quality service work done or having someone make matters worse than they were. Ideally this shouldn't be a concern at all. Some people have really lucked out with great and helpful dealerships, while others...

Last edited by Optimus05GTO; 07-07-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in