XM Radio in 2006 GTO - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
XM Radio in 2006 GTO

I'm having XM installed in my GTO this week...I have a Delphi XMSkyfi2 that I will be able to transfer from it's docking station to my car...my question is has anyone put XM in there GTO and if so, where did you put it in your car? I'm looking at all possible options. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 05:58 PM

Well I have the XM Roady 2 it's smaller than the SkiFI but I mounted it just behind the power window buttons in that little empty space. My antenna is in on dash as far back in the corner of the windshield as I could get it. And picks up real good + don't scratch paint + I didn't have to run the wire outside + I don't like that black bubble on the top of my car or the free advertising it gives

"Sheila" 1/322
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 06:15 PM

GOATGIRL, I have the RoadyXT and if I can figure out how to insert a picture here (can anyone tell me how to do it?), I'll show you where I had it mounted. The installer popped the center console and created a mount to come out between the seam in the silver molding at radio level on the passenger's side. The only thing I would do a little differently is raise it up a few more inches. It is "slightly" in the way of the passenger, but not bad. They ran the antenna around the glovebox, under the passenger side door jam, thru the back seat, around the rear window molding and I have the antenna top back center.

Last edited by Russ2005; 02-20-2006 at 06:25 PM. Reason: add photo

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 06:28 PM

Just use www.imageshack.us just upload your pic there then post the link in the "insert image" box

"Sheila" 1/322
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 06:38 PM

Thx GTO 400. I posted them to the racing site I do for my buddy. Let me know if those links worked.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

That looked great Russ2005! I think that will work well! I also liked your idea GTO 400 but I think it's too big for that...any other ideas?
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 07:04 PM

Thx GOATGIRL, I hope that will give you an idea. There is really not anywhere good to mount the XM Radio. My goal was to get power from the radio and not "cut" anything. The molding is slightly separated, but it looks more separated in the photo than for real. It works well. I also picked up a remote for my XM Roady XT online for $10. I keep it in the center tray and use it to change channels...otherwise is is a little bit of a reach to change channels. Like I said, I would make the custom mount maybe 1" - 2" higher so does not interfere with passenger's knee although where it is located is not a big deal. The installer charged me $75 for the whole job including, wiring, custom mount, running wire for the antenna. Well worth the cost.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 08:38 PM

I have the Commander in mine. Located it in the pocket below radio.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnebgoode
I have the Commander in mine. Located it in the pocket below radio.
I have the Sirius unit that is similar to the Comander. Fits below the radio, and when I park in the city, it is hidden by the cover. It is hard wired in, but the installer mentioned that he had to use an adapter. Put the antenna on the trunk just behind the rear window, where it can barely be seen. Paid $75 to have it installed...well worth the $$$.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys! Thanks for all the help and advice on this subject....I just got my car back and it looks great! Unfortunately, it really couldn't be placed where I really wanted (right where the ashtray is) but I do have it in. I'm going to be taking some pictures of it tomorrow and have them on the site. The guys who did it for me did an incredible job! Can't see any wires, didn't mess the car up, and hooked the antenna up where the rearview mirror is...reception is great!

Again, thanks for the input...it was a big help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in