User Tag List

6Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Unread 09-07-2018, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
1157 LED bulbs for my '66 GTO

Ok, Im going to try to not be too long winded. And if there's another thread already discussing this, please point me in that direction.

Ive converted all my 1157 bulbs in my 1966 GTO to the proper LED replacements. Even spent the $ and got the correct flasher for said LED bulbs. Now for my issue... The brake light, tail lights, rear turn signals work amazing. Very happy with that. The front is where my issue lies. The marker lights work fine but BOTH front turn signals flash at the same time, no matter which way I flip the arm. Everything worked fine with all the old bulbs. So, I know the wiring of the car is fine. Do I need to ground something? Do I need a different resistor somewhere to make the fronts work properly? Has anybody else done this and run into this issue? Im open to suggestions.

Thank you ~ Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Unread 09-08-2018, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlow66 View Post
Ok, Im going to try to not be too long winded. And if there's another thread already discussing this, please point me in that direction.

Ive converted all my 1157 bulbs in my 1966 GTO to the proper LED replacements. Even spent the $ and got the correct flasher for said LED bulbs. Now for my issue... The brake light, tail lights, rear turn signals work amazing. Very happy with that. The front is where my issue lies. The marker lights work fine but BOTH front turn signals flash at the same time, no matter which way I flip the arm. Everything worked fine with all the old bulbs. So, I know the wiring of the car is fine. Do I need to ground something? Do I need a different resistor somewhere to make the fronts work properly? Has anybody else done this and run into this issue? Im open to suggestions.

Thank you ~ Phil
Sounds like you have a switch problem as you are energizing both circuits. Did it work properly before the LED conversion ?

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Unread 09-08-2018, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Yup. Everything worked perfect before swapping bulbs. I messed around with it a little more last night. There is a small amount of current running through the opposite side of which your signaling. As in, with the right side signal on, the test light flashes on the left socket. With the left side signal on, the test light flashes on the right, as well. It's very faint on the test light but more than enough to fire off the LED. Ground issue? Not enough resistance?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Unread 09-08-2018, 11:43 AM

I wish I had an answer for your crossed circuit problem, but I am curious about your choice of LEDs for the tail lights. I tried some out, but because the bulk of the LED modules are on the end of the "bulb" and our tail light bulbs stand vertically within the light capsules, mine ended up no brighter than the incandescent 1157s. In other words, most of the light brightness was directed straight up and not out through the tail light lenses. Did you find some LEDs that project out the side of the bulb, instead of the end?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Unread 09-09-2018, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlow66 View Post

Thank you ~ Phil
If the rear t/sigs work separately as designed, that pretty much eliminates any problem in the t/sig switch itself. Particularly given the fact you're getting some voltage to the "wrong" side, I'd bet nickels to nuclear warheads you've got a ground issue in the front end somewhere. It may have been there all along, with the heavier load of the 1157's possibly masking the problem.
Hudlow66 likes this.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Unread 09-09-2018, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I found these bulbs and they have the diodes on the face and all around, as well. Not sure how to post a picture on here but they seem like a decent piece. Ill dive back into this when I get a little more time. A ground issue sounds (at this point) like the most plausible cause, to me. Ill keep checking back and if I find the issue, Ill post it. Might help someone else. Thank you, guys
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Unread 09-13-2018, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ricker:
Just a quick question: Are you trying RED LED bulbs in the back and not white? I learned this lesson. Something about which color light that the lenses are meant to pass. Sounded weird to me but it turned out to be true. Mine is a 67.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Unread 09-13-2018, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hudlow66:
Chased the same problem on my 67 (or it chased me). Never did get it figured out. Went back to incandescent. I'm too old for this shit.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Unread 09-13-2018, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
FWIW; Been using the 2357R for about a year now much improved light out put with NO side effects to stock system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RED LED 1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	115405   Click image for larger version

Name:	66 LED BULD TEST 3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	115407  

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Unread 06-20-2019, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOJUNIOR View Post
FWIW; Been using the 2357R for about a year now much improved light out put with NO side effects to stock system.
Did you change only the rear bulbs to LED, or front and rear? I'd like to change the rear only but did not know if that was possible. Thanks for the pictures. Very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in