post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:23 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfind View Post
Did you change only the rear bulbs to LED, or front and rear? I'd like to change the rear only but did not know if that was possible. Thanks for the pictures. Very helpful.
You should be able to just go with LED at the rear with no issues. I used a mix of LED and filament bulbs on my brother's truck - no issues.

You most likely will have to change your flasher unit to a newer electronic style flasher. I also did this on my brother's truck.

There are different styles of 1157 LED bulbs with regards to the placement of the LED chips. I use an online supplier called Super Brites LED https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...acement-bulbs/ You can check out the offerings as to the different types/styles. They provide dimensions and the angle that the LED light will project its light. Some of the "towers" may actually be taller than the standard filament bulb, so you may want to measure. If too tall, they have "mini" which is shorter.

You will see several offerings to choose from, like cool, natural, & warm. I thought the number you see with each box, ie 6500, 4000, 2950, was the brightness level. I found out not so. The "natural" is what you want if going with a clear/white light as it is the brightest of the three choices. The colored choices are what they are. You will see the lumins which is how bright they are.

Never had any problems and they ship very fast. So just a choice to take a look at.
michaelfind likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:20 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfind View Post
Did you change only the rear bulbs to LED, or front and rear? I'd like to change the rear only but did not know if that was possible. Thanks for the pictures. Very helpful.
Yes just the Bulbs on the rear.
I will add that I also applied a coat of High Temp Flat White paint to inside of the housing.
This worked far better then any Silver to help increase output.
michaelfind and Bald Menace like this.

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Rear Leds

Yes just the Bulbs on the rear.
I used the Super Brites 1157 CAN Bus LED Bulb - Dual Function 30 SMD LED Tower - BAY15D Bulb - Red
Part Number: 1157-R30-CBT
I also upgraded with their led flasher relay.
I could not believe the difference, Absolutely worth the money.
If you have the age cracks in your lens as most of us do, these are awsome..
PontiacJim and michaelfind like this.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Two reasons for switching to LED:
1) safety, i can be seen much easier by people, first time i drove the car with wife following she stated the brake lights were dim, they were fine shes used to the brighter ones of today.
2) less drain on my old electrical wiring.
I'd like to discuss the the latter. I've noticed a light load resistor kit is required is required at each bulb to mimic the resistance of an incandescent. Doesn't this put the strain right back on the wiring?
https://www.superbrightleds.com/item...851&quantity=1
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Hi John
I did not add any load resistors to my 67 GTO taillights, just the replacement flasher and they work flawlessly.
No regrets here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in