68 starting problem. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
68 starting problem.

I have a 68 with manual choke,new carb battery and altenator etc...

My car had no problems starting at all until the last week I noticed the click when I turned the key over then it would take a couple times before the solenoid would engage.

Next it started to do something I found odd. As I would turn the car over it would just continually turn over until I let off the key then and only then would it fire.

And now at this point it is killing the battery and having to be jump started.

Any Ideas with this problem before I go start replacing parts my thoughts are its still the solenoid but when the later two issues started to happen its making me second guess the problem?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:59 AM

did the click come from under the dash or under the hood? under the dash is ignition switch and under the hood is starter solenoid. continuily cranking could be both also. sort in the solenoid or worn switch. take a meter and have a buddy help you. have the car on stands or be able to get to the purple wire to the solenoid. look for 12 volts when cranking key on, your buddy is turning the key. then look for 12 volts without cranking the key. if you have 12 volts the 2nd time it is a bad switch. i would think the solenoid is your problem though just with you describing it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply auburn that should get me going in the right direction appreciate it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
If the soliniod is bad it may feed 12v back through that purple wire, so having 12v there not cranking, it may not be the switch. Disconnecting that purple wire and then jumping the starter at the soliniod to see if it continues to crank, or testing the dissconnected purple wire for 12v after the crank with the key will tell you which is at fault.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in