User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Comprehensive GTO LED conversions, 64-74

As LED technology continuously improves every day and prices continue to drop I am looking to replace all of my conventional bulbs with their LED equivalents. I would love for people to chime in on their experiences with some of the brands and products out there they have had direct experience with and I would also love it if https://www.diodedynamics.com/ chimed in here too.

If Diode Dynamics would chime in on the attached image supplied from the AMES's catalog I would greatly appreciate it. I know they offer a good number of the bulb numbers listed but I am unable to find them all in the correct colors also. If they have everything and they came up with a "kit" with optional colors that would be amazing. I did this on my daily driver and what a huge difference it made in not only my visibility to other drivers but also in aesthetics and my own visibility. I mention Diode Dynamics specifically, thought I don't know how to "mention" a member in a post (newbie...), because of all the research I've done, I'm really impressed with the quality they provide.

No one has a comprehensive "kit" or even a list for replacing all lights with LED's that I can find. Below is an image from AMES's catalog listing the standard bulb part numbers. I have found most of the LED equivalent's but I find myself having to go to multiple brands and therefore I know I will end up with varying degrees of light shade, quality and performance. I'm really excited about some of the LED headlight options out there like this... https://www.opgi.com/gto/1968/lamps-...ights/CH30846/ though they do come with a steep price tag.

Another item AMES provides which is convenient is a LED relay for hazard lights and for hazard lights. Some LED manufacturers, I believe, have an inline system to eliminate the rapid blink that would come from not replacing the relay. I'm curious if what AMES provides is universal for any LED installed in a blinking light position or not. AMES does provide a good number of the common LED replacements but LED's are so common now having options is not too much to ask for...

There are a lot of posts here and there about specific bulbs and specific bulb locations but I was hoping to start something more comprehensive for those who want to add a subtle modern touch to their classic goat.

Thank you in advance for your posts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO light bulb numbers.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	119301   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO LED's.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	119303  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LED Lights

I have replaced all except the headlights with superbright LED lights. The turn signal flasher needs to be suitable for led and incandescent to flash at a normal rate. I also installed flashback front turn lights that are white on and yellow flash. I am going to wire the running front to DRL when the key is on for a more modern look. I bought everything on Ebay
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm looking at installing LEDs too. Very little info on GTOForum about LEDs

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:50 PM
O52

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schutt View Post
Very little info on GTOForum about LEDs
I think the reason for that is twofold:

1. Expense
You can buy cheap LEDs but you get what you pay for; poor optics and construction. The truly good ones from the major manufacturers cost 2-3 times or more than an incandescent. Plus having to purchase a good flasher can to make it all work correctly.

2. Tradition
IMHO LEDs don't look right in an older classic car. Especially the replacement LED fixtures. I prefer the soft glow of an incandescent bulb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in