Headlights Flickering - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Headlights Flickering

I just got my 1970 GTO back from the shop where, among other things, a complete American Autowire wiring harness was installed. Prior to that I had converted the old headlights to H4 conversion, with no issues. Now, after getting the wiring harness, the lights flicker and turn off/on ONLY when I switch to high beam. ALL FOUR lights are affected. When I switch back to low beam the problem goes away.
A knowledgeable friend says the problem is most likely with the high/low beam floor switch. Another person recommended installing a resistor.

What do you guys think? Could the high/low switch be affecting it by not being able to handle the current? Is there a high current switch on the market? I look forward to your responses, except the "take it back to the shop" responses... :-)

Last edited by bvcg1; 05-15-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Well it's not the dimmer switch. I replaced it and still the same issue.
By the way, it happens whether the car is running or not. That would rule out the alternator wouldn't it?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I agree not the alternator if it happens when it is off. You have a headlight switch on the dash and a high beam floor switch, you replaced one the other bears checking, probably some high resistance in a wire under the dash, when. The high beams go on too much current Thor the wires.

I run all my headlights on relays, simple to do and puts full power from alternator/ Battery to the headlights, the weak signal from the switch can stay weak as the relay will close with about 6Volts and 1.5 volts will keep it closed, but the headlight stays real bright gets full power.

You can do it under the hood and not under the dash if you prefer, but it is not”stock” wiring...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply and input. Both the headlight switch and dimmer switch are new. The headlight switch has been replaced twice because the one that came with the harness 'let go' of the knob and it wouldn't lock back in to place when I tried to replace it. I guess that spring-loaded button that holds the knob in had failed. So I guess I can rule out the switch as well. Where can I learn about installing the relays? How and where to install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in