Neutral safety switche(s) with Dual Gate - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Neutral safety switche(s) with Dual Gate

I am working on a 69 GTO and the previous owner had the console swapped out to a dual gate. I want to keep the dual gate but I am lost in regards to the neutral safety switch(s).

The steering column has one and so does the dual gate which one do I need to use or do i need to use both, cannot find any literature on the specifics.

Thanks Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
How is the column one activated? Does the column part turn when the shifter is moved (as in a column shift car) ?

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

I am assuming it is operated throught the back lock. But it's crossed my mind that this is not the original steering column becasue of the two switches...??? which is part of my confusion and why I reached out on this forum.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Addition info. I do not know if the switch on the column ever worked through the back lock... The back lock was not functioning when I bought the car for that matter either was the switch on the dual gate.

Thanks
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 01:25 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
So your '69 was originally a column shift car?? If it was, and you're running a floor shift, lose the column and put in a floor shift type column, and use the NS switch on the dual gate. That's what I'd do.....if I could get a used column for the right price.....
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

No it was a console shift (PHS Documented) last owner swithced it from a standard console to a dual gate. But because I am doing a complete frame off resto on this car (first one) I need to determine what is going on.

Looks to me like the steering column was changed out at some time if there is not suppose to be a switch on the column if it was a console shift car. Common sense tells me you only need one of them (neutral safety switch) but i wanted to make sure.

Thanks
Kevin
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 02:06 PM

So, if I understand you correctly, you are saying that there is a neutral safety switch currently located on the steering column, when there was a standard console shift, and this sounds incorrect to you?

I have a '70 floor shift automatic, all original, and the neutral safety switch IS located at the base of the steering column, down by the floorboard at the 12 o'clock position. I would expect the same to be true for the '69. So, if I have interpreted you correctly, I would assume the steering column is original (or at least same as original). The switch is mechanically actuated by a linkage from the console shifter.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

So the swith on the column is most likely correct and its operation was managed throught the backlock linkage which makes sense I dug out and looked at the old console shift mechanism and there was no switch on it.

What this is leading me to believe is the dual gate that I have (exact year is not known) may have had the switch mounted on it in that application and not the column.

Sooooo... to try and put this all together... I only need one neutral safety switch and it could be located on the floor mounted to the dual gate or on the column which ever I prefer to use or have the correct harness for. The net result of the operation and need for the switch is the same.

Does any one agree?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 03:20 PM

Yes, IMO you only need one, whichever you want. The purpose of the switch is to make sure that you can only crank the engine in park or in neutral (not in drive or reverse) ... I see no need for a serial redundancy.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

I agree... Thanks everyone who responded or who is yet to respond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in