User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Parking lights stay on when switch is off

69 4-speed car, have not found this issue anywhere. I just replaced the rear wiring harness and the tail light grounds (50 years old, was having a ground issue with left rear tail light). When I hooked the battery back up, all of the parking lights were on (front, rear, and side markers including the tail lights and back up lights). The head lights and dash lights were not on. I checked the headlight switch, it was working correctly and even replaced it...with the same results. I reviewed the wiring diagrams, I cannot find where a ground has been overlooked. Also, on the left side tail lights, I was checking for ground issues, as I turned the bulbs in their respective sockets in the tail light housing, the lights would brighten or dim, depending on which way the socket was turned. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:16 PM
O52

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Dash lights and headlights are on a separate circuit from the running lights which is why they're not affected.

Did you replace the harness just in the trunk area or from under the dash to the rear The only source of constant 12 volt power to the rear is the dome light (orange wire) circuit. Since you replaced the rear harness maybe you somehow tapped into it. Could be a mis-wire from the manufacturer or somehow the plug was inserted incorrectly.
Quick check is to pull the fuse for the Hazard/Stop lamps. If your running lights go out, that may be it.

The reason the taillights go bright and then dim is cheap Chinese bulbs. Sylvania's are the worst. The locating nubs aren't long enough to properly engage the socket guides and they can easily be installed 180* out. This would cause your brake light filament (Bright) to come on when the tail lights are on and vice-versa. I buy bulbs made in Europe or hit the junkyards for good used bulbs.

Let us know what happens.

Ed

68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
70 El Camino SS

Last edited by O52; 09-10-2019 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Wrong fuse listed
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Take all the rear bulbs out, see if the problem goes away. I had a similar problem when replacing my rear harness. Turned out to be one bulb was in backwards.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Correct on both replys

Each reply was absolutely correct! I installed the new harness from the fuse panel to the tail lights. I went back and double checked the plug-ins...they were plugged in correctly. Next I pulled the haz-stop fuse...lights out, so that narrowed things down. Then I pulled all of the bulbs out of the tail light sockets...problem solved! On further inspection, I had 4 bulbs from an unknown mfg made in the USA, and 2 from China. Guess which ones will not be re-installed? Thanks again for the help!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:17 PM
O52

Garage
Did you replace the fuse?

Ed

68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
70 El Camino SS
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Yes, replaced the fuse...just in case. I re-installed all of the bulbs in the tail lights. When I connected the battery, all of the tail lights were on, none of the parking lights. When I pulled the switch to the #2 position, all of the parking/dash lights came on and all of the tail lights turned off. Going to back track again as it still could be a bulb issue or ground. Will post again later with results.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

From bad to worse

Ok, here is the current situation:
When you hook up the battery, the 4 tail light bulbs are on. When you pull the headlight switch to turn on the parking lights, all of the parking lights (including the plate light) come on and the 4 tail light bulbs turn off. No break lights no matter what I tried. The turn signals work. The hazards do not. I tried a couple of tests and rechecked my previous work including:

1. I tried a copper wire test (inserted a wire into the bulb socket and the other end to a ground source), each of the tail lights got brighter.
2. Next I tried a test light. It lit up on each tail light socket with the headlight switch turned off and also with the parking light in the on position. 3. There is no power getting to the back up lights no matter what the switch position is.
4. I unplugged and plugged back in all of the harness connections (at fuse box, at dome light/power, and at tail light harness).
5. I double checked all bulbs to ensure correct positions and being snug in the sockets.
6. I checked the brand new tail light ground wiring. Everything is tight. Test light worked at the bolt the wiring is fastened to.
7. Replaced the fuses.
8. Replaced the flasher unit.

One other issue, when the tail light bulbs are in the housing (all on), the driver side lights will get bright when the sockets make contact with the grounds in the housing...but only on that side. Turning the sockets on the other side has no effect on any of the bulbs.

I have reviewed the wiring diagram until my eyes have crossed. Am I looking too hard?? WHAT am I missing???
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 03:09 PM
O52

Garage
Pull the fuse for the HAZ/Brake Lts again. Test your lights using the headlight switch.
If ok, unplug turn signal switch (Long plug on top of steering column) and replace the fuse. Test
Let us know

Ed

68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
70 El Camino SS
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:42 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
1. I tried a copper wire test (inserted a wire into the bulb socket and the other end to a ground source), each of the tail lights got brighter.

PJ: Your tail light sockets will have 2 spring loaded contacts - 1 is for the brake/turn signal (the brighter of the lights), and 1 is for the tail lights. I assume you inserted the wire at some point along the side of the socket. If lights got brighter, then most likely it indicates a poor ground.

2. Next I tried a test light. It lit up on each tail light socket with the headlight switch turned off and also with the parking light in the on position.

PJ: With the headlight switch pulled out to its first "notch", your parking lights are supposed to come on. They should also remain on when you pull the headlight switch fully out.

3. There is no power getting to the back up lights no matter what the switch position is

PJ: The back-up lights do not operate off the headlight switch. Either a switch on the column/console for automatic or a switch on the transmission if manual.

4. I unplugged and plugged back in all of the harness connections (at fuse box, at dome light/power, and at tail light harness).

PJ: We have had previous instances where the fault was the dome light. I believe it was grounding out. Look at your wiring diagram and you should see how it ties into the lights.

When I connected the battery, all of the tail lights were on, none of the parking lights.

PJ: Have you checked the brake light switch under the dash which the pedal rests up against and activates the brake lights? The switch can go bad and it is adjustable. It is generally plastic and has plastic threads which can be stripped or damaged, thus moving the switch out of its position to make contact with the brake pedal and not make the brake lights come on or off.

PJ: Don't discount the front marker lights. You could have a bad ground/short in them that is bleeding over as all marker lights will be tied in together.

Your best investment at this point, rather than pull your hair out and never find the problem, is to purchase the Continuity Tester below.

I bought a Southwire brand Model 40040S Continuity Tester. I believe I bought it at Home Dept, or possibly Lowe's. It has a remote tester that can be removed from the main body and allows you to test wires/wiring from each end of the wire. It is not to be used to test for 12Volt power, just continuity. This would be perfect to test your rear harness at the plug to the tail lights. You could test from the harness plug forward, but will need to disconnect the battery as any 12Volt power source can damage the tester. Here is the PDF and you can read what it does: http://www.southwiretools.com/tools/...o?file_id=1821
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

To: 052, I pulled the fuse. Did a test light test with the headlight switch off. No power at the tail lights. Pulled the headlight switch to the parking light position. All parking lights came on except no taillights or break lights. Test light did lite up indicating power to the socket(s) for the taillights while the switch was in that position. As for the turn signal switch, the turn signals have been working. However, they are dim at the taillights appear normal in front.

To: PJ, you may have hit on something with the dome light. My dome light has not been working for a few months (assumed it was a bulb...should have known better). I popped the cover, the bulb connectors were extremely rusty. One of the wires appeared to have sustained some heat as it was black and the wire had snapped off of the connector. Additionally, while I was under the dash, I noticed in the far left hand corner, under the vent, were three wires. One white one, two black ones. They were all tied together and hooked up to nothing. One of the black ones was connected to the door jam switch that turns the dome on when the door is open. I could not see where the other two wires go to. Going to further review the wiring diagram to see where these wires are supposed to go/connect to. Obviously, will need to re-wire the dome light. Hopefully, that will help as well (do not want to remove the headliner...its original and in good shape).

Car is a 4 speed, will get under it to see about the reverse light switch at the tranny. Brake light switch on pedal is in good shape, appears to be functioning normally. Will also re-check the front marker light grounds.

Electrical has never been my strong suit...but thanks to you guys, its improving...really appreciate the assistance. Will report back with more results
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in