Points or other ignition - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Points or other ignition

I have purchased a 65 GTO. It has a 70 455 with the 66 Tri Power set up. The car has the factory points Ignition in it. The guy that owned the car before me said he never had any performance issues with the engine with the points. I thought about putting an HEI Distributor in the motor, but it wont clear the rear Carburetor. Considering that I will not be racing the car and it will only be my good weather weekend driver, I think the points distributor will probably be fine. Anyone have any thoughts or advise on a replacement distributor. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I run HEI buy if you really can't clear it maybe try one of the Pertronix flamethrower solid state units, they keep everything OEM looking without the lovely dwell settings etc. Think they run about 70-80 bucks. I put one in my moms spitfire about 12 years ago.

http://m.summitracing.com/search/Dep...and/PerTronix/
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 AM

Looks like you would want the Ignitor unit not the flamethrower. Good luck!

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 12:42 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
I've run nothing but stock points and condenser ignitions in all of my GTO's over the pat 33 years. 100's of thousands of miles of driving, with no issues. No reason to "upgrade". Just stay away from the "uniset" (combined points and condenser) and be sure to replace them every 15,000 miles or so when you do your tune up. I have seen and I have heard of a lot of reliability issues with "upgraded" ignition systems....and these are issues that leave you stranded. The advantage of HEI is "no maintenance" I've seen more than my share of bad modules and magnetic pickup coils in other people's vehicle's. For a street driven, real world car, original is hard to bead.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
What he said, and I run an HEI in my car. For how you plan to use the car, there's no reason that a well maintained points system won't be just fine.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I have gotten some really good help from this Forum.
timmyg
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I like the HEI myself as an upgrade, as you can get parts at any store for it. Boats still like points as you can just sand the points, regap and get it running again. Your stock dist is 46 years old, so at least make sure the shaft is tight and advance weights work correctly. I would upgrade to the Pertronixs for the hotter spark and wider gap, incresed performance. Back in Highschool I used Sorensen cross cut points and threw the lightest advance springs in and it was a tire shreader, 66 tempest 455.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 08:08 PM

I hate points, the only thing I hate more than points is dual points... maybe I am jaded because I could never afford new points for my motorcycles as a child. Always with the Emory cloth or Bristol paper. I am all about solid state, to me it can't be beat. Waterproof and always the perfect timing. I would pay 75 bucks any day of the week to spare myself the headache :-) just my 2 cents.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlambeauHO View Post
I hate points, the only thing I hate more than points is dual points...just my 2 cents.
Pretty much the same as carb compared to fuel injection.. Carbs are cheaper, with injection you never have to adjust fuel ratio because the humidity changed or changed elevation. And the benefit of good fuel mileage. One perk, carb improvements are cheaper than injection, that's why I came back to old school.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang

Last edited by jetstang; 04-23-2012 at 05:44 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I went with a Pertronix Ignitor III in place of the points. It has a built in rev limiter. I'm very happy with that setup.... They claim, "ignition box performance w/o the box"...

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in