Wiper switch turns on backwards - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Wiper switch turns on backwards

My 68 Lemans' wiper switch turns on and off backwards. Clockwise is off. CC is on It's a 2 speed wiper. Used a wiring diagram and all wires check out. I even took a chance and flipped the 2 spade plug and it blew the fuse. It works fine except it's backwards. Is there a way to reverse the polarity in the motor itself? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:17 PM
O52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I'm assuming you have the optional (hidden) wipers and you have little experience as an electrician.

The wipers operate by grounding the Black and Black/Blue wires from the motor through the wiper switch which should be grounded. Make sure the ground strap behind the switch is grounded properly. Use an ohm-meter from the switch housing to a good carbody ground to verify.
Unless its defective, the wiper switch is hard to miss-wire but check the wiring (photo) anyway. Anything can happen in 51 years.

The 2 spade plug is for the washer pump. The Black/Yellow wire is the 12 volt source and jumpers to the #2 terminal of the motor. The Black/White wire goes to the switch and is the pump ground whenever the switch is pushed in.

If the wiper switch is grounded properly check the plugs (2) on the motor. Hard to see but they are to the lower right of the washer pump plug.
The single wire plug (Black/Blue) should go to the right. The two wire plug is to the left.
The two wire plug Black/Yellow wire (12 volts from the washer pump) should be to the right and the Black/White is to the left. See photo.

Photo of the wiper motor is from my El Camino and the wire colors are slightly different. Other photos are from my 68 GTO's harness (to be installed)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wMGwzKVcR2iMe7Lw5xOvKw.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	936.2 KB
ID:	121087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qy9oFJZQQr+zyxkczHXNIA.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	121089   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1619.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	638.3 KB
ID:	121093   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1617.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	121095   Click image for larger version

Name:	%rK4c%IUQUei2G4H6zYBZA.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	952.3 KB
ID:	121097  

Ed

68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
70 El Camino SS
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks VERY much 052.
Your wiper assembly is different than mine. I don't think these are the hidden type either I've checked the plug at the switch and it cannot be put on wrong. I have a schematic and the wire colors check out. In my mind, the only thing it could be is within the switch. Wild that it would be the opposite and have the 2 speeds work too(windshield pump doesn't)? I'll check the ground as you said but i don't see how these symptoms would be the result?

That switch isn't bad to get out and I'll open her up. I think my polarity idea was a dumb one.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Also I think your grounding info is valuable because it might be plausible that it lost the ground at one end and gained it at the other?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:07 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Skeleton View Post
My 68 Lemans' wiper switch turns on and off backwards. Clockwise is off. CC is on It's a 2 speed wiper. Used a wiring diagram and all wires check out. I even took a chance and flipped the 2 spade plug and it blew the fuse. It works fine except it's backwards. Is there a way to reverse the polarity in the motor itself? Thanks!

Read this and see if it is of any help: https://www.gtoforum.com/f12/%6068-wiper-switch-55890/
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:48 AM
O52

Garage
Check the back of your dash for the ground straps. See photos. For the grounding system to work properly the switches must be tight against the dash. The straps theirselves must be grounded to the metal dash supports.
The wiper motor should also have a ground strap from the washer pump frame to one of the wiper mounting bolts.

The 68 diagnostic manual says to reverse harness leads one and three if the motor turns off in the high speed position IF THE GROUNDS ARE ALL CORRECT. See diagram for terminal board orientation. This is for the standard motor that you think you have.

I don't have the dash installed in the car since its in the middle of a restoration but hopefully the photos will give you an idea of what should be there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_fab.jpg
Size:	937.4 KB
ID:	121107   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_161a.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	121109   Click image for larger version

Name:	0RWe37gARu2Z7sv2d9yibg.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	928.2 KB
ID:	121111  

Ed

68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
70 El Camino SS
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Here's some photos of what I have. Please tell me you see wiring out of place, the switch WAS loose but I snugged it up. Haven't had a chance to look behind the dash yet. I discovered the washer tries to work when I push the button. I ran a ground wire to the wiper motor case-no change. Thanks for all of your help!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF3752.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	121115   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3751.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	121117   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3749.JPG
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	121119   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3750.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	121121  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:40 PM
O52

Garage
From what I can see the wiring looks correct. Which leads me to believe you have a grounding problem. Need to stick your head under the dash and take a look

Has it been this way since you owned the car or just happened?

Ed

68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
70 El Camino SS
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Since I've owned it, about 4 months ago
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 02:14 PM
O52

Garage
I did a little more research (sales brochures, etc) and I think I see a problem with the pictures you sent.
Can you send a picture of the Fisher Body data plate? And the wipers with the hood open and closed.

You say you have a Lemans, and the wood dash would indicate that. But...
Lemans series had the disappearing wipers (the blades would hide below the hood when off) which had a different wiper motor than what you show. It looks like someone may have changed the motor in the past.

But again the wiring didn't change between the two types of motors so it still should operate even though the motor is wrong. I still think you have a grounding problem.

Photo of the motor for disappearing wipers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	YWB9KCWyRSeoI1WLEl279g.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	121155  

Ed

68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
70 El Camino SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in