Yet another bizarre turn signal problem - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yet another bizarre turn signal problem

I just acquired a beautiful 65 GTO restomod: FiTech-equipped built 406 Chevy smallblock, QA1 suspension, Tremec 5-speed. The front turn signals work fine. The rears seem possessed. My wife noticed they weren't working. With both bulbs removed and checking the sockets with a test light both sides flash appropriately. With the bulbs in the sockets but not installed in the bezels when I move the lever for a left turn the right bulb flashes and with the lever in the right turn position the left bulb flashes. The sockets looked old and wouldn't stay in the bezels so I replaced them. Turns out the new sockets don't fit any more securely in the bezels than the old ones. The car has a high end stereo and much of the wiring is new American Autowire. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
poor ground at the socket ?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

I installed new sockets and cleaned the area on the housing where they insert. A former mechanic friend came over today and took a look. As he was testing power at the brake light switch he accidentally giggled the ignition key and the test light flickered so I'm going to replace the switch and go from there.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
its still a ground issue .... the housing isnt grounded

if your test light has an alligator clip on the end and you touch the bulb contacts and the tester works fine...

your housing isnt grounded.... some times over restoration you dont get clean grounds...

run a scrap wire jumper for a ground over to the socket nad to a known good ground and check the blinker....

Scott t
buy NOS GM so it looks and feels right and you can use your key again
1965 Pontiac GTO Tempest Ignition Switch 1116654 D-1457
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Is there some magic trick to getting the socket to stay in the housing? I push it in until it is flush but nothing snaps into place and there doesn't seem to be any mechanism by which twisting would secure it. It just seems like a very tenuous press fit after which it falls out. As far as ground, from what I can see the only ground for the tail lights/signals/brake lights is the bulb socket making contact with the lamp housing. Is that correct?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65sohc View Post
Is there some magic trick to getting the socket to stay in the housing? I push it in until it is flush but nothing snaps into place and there doesn't seem to be any mechanism by which twisting would secure it. It just seems like a very tenuous press fit after which it falls out. As far as ground, from what I can see the only ground for the tail lights/signals/brake lights is the bulb socket making contact with the lamp housing. Is that correct?
Perhaps you can fab a donut-shaped spacer out of some compressible foam or soft rubber to provide a weather seal and some tension on the socket-bezel interface.

DK

<)))>><

"Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you." - Saint Augustine
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
After multiple socket replacements and adding external ground wiring, my taillight problems still persisted.
I just installed a set of these and all my taillight problems are gone.
They fit tight and ground to the housings perfectly..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-1157-Bra...72.m2749.l2649
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba67 View Post
After multiple socket replacements and adding external ground wiring, my taillight problems still persisted.
I just installed a set of these and all my taillight problems are gone.
They fit tight and ground to the housings perfectly..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-1157-Bra...72.m2749.l2649
Thanks. I found them at O'Reilly's.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Today my mechanic friend and I made progress. Turns out one of the new sockets I just bought was faulty so it is just as well I got these Dorman all metal ones that actually snap into place. We discovered my brake light switch was on all the time. For whatever reason the pedal was not compressing the plunger enough to shut it off. The previous owner had taped a nut to the contact point on the brake pedal to push the plunger in deeper. The lights were working when I videotaped it backing out of the transporter but apparently the central California heat melted the glue on the tape enough that the nut was dislodged. Most importantly we pulled the steering wheel and put a test light on the turn signal switch and got abnormal readings so I ordered a switch from Summit.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Is there an actual step by step description of how to install the switch? I have searched for hours and found nothing useful. The main thing I don't understand is how you can possibly shove the horseshoe connector down the through the tube unless the connector comes separate and you connect it after feeding the wires like with an Ididit column.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in