'04 Owners- Inspect! Fire Hazard! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'04 Owners- Inspect! Fire Hazard!

I don't typically like pulling subjects I see on The Other Forum over here, but I though this subject to be VERY IMPORTANT to 2004 owners. I'm unsure if the LS2 has the same fuel line location- if it does, you need to check as well.

A guy was tooling along for a cruise, when things started to go Very Badly:

Quote:
...just cruisin along at about 40. went for teh clutch to find 6th gear, no clutch? so i start slowing to pull over and as i slowed the smoke started coming through the vents. I pulled the ebrake as i flailed around grabbing whatever i could reach. when it slid to a stop the flames started coming out the back/drivers side of the hood and wheelhouse, so i started throwing **** into the road and made a break for it. glad i grabbed my camera on the way out!
Gary

Cause was the left Fuel Rail Cover (FRC) wearing a hole in the fuel line! This has been a known issue for some time.

I've been monitoring mine for a while now, but with the miles I pile on last time I looked could have been two or three oil changes (up to 20k miles) ago...reading his account and seeing those horrific shots, I pulled the damned FRCs off today and...sure as sh1t-- I've got some pretty bad wear. Check the silver date-stamped label, and the deep slice that has formed:

There are some fixes- sliding 3/8" tubing over the fuel line as firesleeve, for example. In my case, the FRCs are staying the feck off, and I'm hitting up the dealer for a new fuel line!

Whatever you do-- please inspect this NOW!!!!

Last edited by Groucho; 04-22-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:25 PM

Members GTO Smoke and Burn!!!!!!!!!!

This Post iS from Grr in the LS1GTO.COM Member Forum, im posting these eles where so that it dosent hapen to other GTOs, WARNING The pics are Graphic.

hi everyone. had a pretty bad day yesterday. first off i would like to thank all of the people on this forum for the past year i have been a member, ive seen some good people and enjoyed it.
on another note, i would really encourage all 2004 GTO owners to go outside, open your hoods, and check your fuel line where it meets that plastic engine cover, drivers side, rear of it. MAKE SURE IT ISNT RUBBING ON IT. and if it is, just lightly bend the steel line at the firewall.
Anyways, some of you may have figured out what happened by that alone, im not going to say, because i want you all to look at the link an find out.

WARNING!! SENSITIVE GTO MATERIAL INSIDE, DO NOT LOOK IF YOU HAVE A HEART PROBLEM OR ARE OTHERWISE WEAK IN THE STOMACHE!!!

post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:40 PM

OMFG
Glad he got out safe. Has this happened to any other 04'?
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Repost.

https://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=7640

This thread also has IMPORTANT INFO FOR 2004 OWNERS TO LOOK FOR SO THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN TO YOU.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:43 PM

and sorry groucho if it is a repost i just thought this very important so i posted it in all the GTO forums that i go to
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2gordon
OMFG
Glad he got out safe. Has this happened to any other 04'?
I dunno- but judging from how my fuel line looks (above) I wasn't far from it...
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the post! Both of you.

Groucho posted pictures of his fuel line under another heading. I suggest everyone take a look under their hood. I did and mine looks the same as his, but I only have 20k on it.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 06:56 PM

So Sorry for the guy,

I know how it feels to watch your car go up in flames, been there done that one!!I had only been out of the car for 5 minutes when they came and got me and told me the car was burning!!

Only mine was a GTP, but thanks for the post we've got an '04 and will be checking it out soon!! I don't care to ever go through that again!!

My GTP was a birthday present from my husband, so that made it even worse. When they finally put the fire out the only thing salvagable at all on the car was the trunk lid and the 2 back rims.

Monica

Last edited by gto_lady04; 04-22-2006 at 07:05 PM.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 09:11 PM

That really sucks.

I have an 06 and tried checking on my car; I'm not totally sure where to look though. (Hey, I'm not very mechanically savvy.. ) I did see something that looked similar, on the right-hand side of my engine as I look inside (would be left if you were in the driver's seat). There is a rubbery hose with the yellow sticker like in Groucho's picture, but it goes into the rear side of the GTO-labelled valve cover (??) So that doesn't seem it could be a fuel line (maybe something emissions?) It has a foam-rubbery wrap over part of its length. It doesn't seem to touch anything, and there is one of those thicker, plasticky corrugated hoses between it and the firewall.

Egh.. it's dark so I can't take a picture. Does that sound like the right thing or am I totally off base? I don't own any Chilton manuals and I can't find anything online, at least so far.

06 IBM/blue M6 18"
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless
That really sucks.

I have an 06 and tried checking on my car; I'm not totally sure where to look though. .

Dohhhh!!!! I have an '06 on order. Guys...PLEASE let us know if this has been corrected post '04.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in