1st ticket - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1st ticket

Got my first ticket this weekend in the GTO. Driving through town doing absolutely nothing, got stopped by a sheriff. I was surprised when she stopped me and more surprised when she said "New York State law says it is illegal to modify your exhaust system." I hadn't even gone over 2000 rpm when leaving the light, so I was surprised. Thought that she might just be checking things, but came back and presented me with the ticket. I asked her how she knew that I had a modified system (not admitting I did, though) and she replied that she could hear it. I complimented her on the precision of her hearing and went on my way. I have an SLP loudmouth, but really didn't get on it at all, so I'm a little anoyed. Time will tell.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 07:20 PM

Are you kidding me? If you don't mind me asking...about how much is a ticket for that? I could understand open headers and what not...but come on! What is this world coming to!

Jon
'87 Z28 with mods | '05 GTO - Red on Red A4

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 08:06 PM

If I were you I would check on that, each state has its own set of laws, most of which are directed to the noise and emissions levels. I use to be a Cop and I can tell you from experiance that half the cops out there dont know there head from there ass and are usualy full of BS.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

I was told that it was an equipment violation, so no points on the license. Probably about $100 fine. The good part is that I can go to any repair shop, have them tighten the "loose" clamps and give me a receipt that says the exhaust system was "fixed". Sending this in with my ticket should resolve the whole issue without getting into the aspect that this whole thing was BS in the first place. I did call SLP and ask them if their systems were legal. Got a fax back that basically said they were emissions legal in all states and did have mufflers. Also stated that although louder than stock, they should be ok most places. Last paragraph stated that local jurisdictions might have different laws and SLP would not participate and/or represent customers in any litigation. I'm having the "loose" clamps "tightened" today and will have a receipt ready to send in with my ticket.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 11:48 AM

Some places are getting rediculous...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 12:35 PM

holiday weekend is a great time for tickets. Extra police on duty getting paid overtime so revenue must be made in the form of BS traffic tickets. They love giving out the no point tickets that are not worth fighting.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Got a letter from the town court this weekend - the judge dismissed the ticket. Done deal! Too bad it was such a pain in the butt for a bogus ticket.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 01:14 PM

Good deal, how loud is the SLP Loudmouth?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Really hard to say. In the car with the windows up, it doesn't sound very loud at all. Going through an underpass (especially with the windows down) you can hear it quite well. I've never heard someone else take off with the car (I'm the driver 99% of the time). The best bet is to find someone with the Loudmouth and listen yourself.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman
Good deal, how loud is the SLP Loudmouth?
If you have a cell phone that can recieve video messages let me know!!! One of the techs has a loudmouth on his GTO!!!! I'll also give you a sound clip of mine (loudmouth & slp longtubes)!
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in