2009 GTO question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2009 GTO question

The 2009 Camaro will most likely have a V6 version for the masses, and a Z28 for performance.
1) Will the 2009 GTO be similar, and be an option on a Lemans or the like, or will it be GTO only?

2) If it IS going to be an option, what would be a good name to use as the base model? I like the old Lemans name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 01:14 PM

I don't think any one knows at this point...the only think for sure is the fact the 2009 GTO will be built on the same platform as the Camaro (ZETA platform)...how it will be built and with what features is anybodys guess....
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 06:38 PM

I don't think the camaro will have a V6 option, just because the platform it's based on i believe is only made for V8 motors. It would be smarter to have a V6 version, just like it would be smarter if the current GTO had a V6 version, like the charger.

I guess GM just isn't into the whole multiple engine choice thing.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabhartLSX
I don't think the camaro will have a V6 option, just because the platform it's based on i believe is only made for V8 motors. It would be smarter to have a V6 version, just like it would be smarter if the current GTO had a V6 version, like the charger.

A base, V6 GTO IMHO should be a LeMans; just like it was in the '60's.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabhartLSX

I will bet you your car that there will be a V6 camaro. Bringing back the camaro with no V6 has absolutely no business case and would be a disaster for GM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noz34me
A base, V6 GTO IMHO should be a LeMans; just like it was in the '60's.
Should be and will are completely different. The monte carlo and grand prix should be RWD as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkd0706
I will bet you your car that there will be a V6 camaro. Bringing back the camaro with no V6 has absolutely no business case and would be a disaster for GM.
Yes i'm sure GM would pick up on where the demand is, they've been so on the ball recently. There's a very real possibility that a V6 camaro could come out, but for some reason i don't see it happening, at least not in the first model year.

Could totally be wrong about this though.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 09:21 PM

Of course there will be a 6 cylinder Camaro.

Actually, the new I6 from the GM trucks would be a better choice than a V6 and would likely fit in a pony car layout.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T.O
The 2009 Camaro will most likely have a V6 version for the masses, and a Z28 for performance.
1) Will the 2009 GTO be similar, and be an option on a Lemans or the like, or will it be GTO only?

2) If it IS going to be an option, what would be a good name to use as the base model? I like the old Lemans name.
I don't think there's any point in not having a 6 in the range for the Camaro. While the Z28 would be the flag bearer, the money would proably be in the volume sales of sporty looking but less challenging coupes and convertibles - remember that the image is usually why most people by cars like this (other than serious petrol heads that is) .

I do hope that we get the benefits of platform sharing across the range without resorting to simple badge engineering; so why shouldn't there be a 6 in the Pontiac line up? If they are going with the retro theme - and I hope we get Retro Lite rathe than the full version, then I woudl certainly push the heritage with the model names.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 09:16 AM

Based purely on the sales expectations for each model, there will be a V6 Camaro and no V6 GTO. The Camaro sales expectations are over 100,000 cars, there is no way in hell they will sell 100,000 $30k+ V8 cars, and the sales expectation for the GTO is in the 15,000 range, right where we are at right now with no V6.

EDIT:
http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...6&categoryId=1
For anyone who thinks there won't be a V6 Camaro. Plus the first car to come out on the new platform is the Commodore, which comes standard with a V6 in the base model.

Last edited by tkd0706; 03-27-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in