4L60E tranny in H3 HELP - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4L60E tranny in H3 HELP

ok so i just got back to Cali. from my journey back to Pennsylvania and taking the Goat back. Well i decided that i didnt want to drive my cobalt anymore so i bought a 2006 H3. Long story short... its got a tranny problem. I just put a new tranny in this weekend and its still acting up. the check engine light was on, but i unplugged the battery for about 5 hours during install. and hasn't came on "yet"...

Whenever i drive for about 15 miles, and the tranny gets hot it will shift down into 3rd and stay there. when i stop at a light and begin to go again, it will shift fine 1-2- until 3rd and it will stay there again. when i let off on the gas the RPMs will drop to idling range, when i step on the gas it revs up to around 3000 (depending on my speed) and it will "catch" the gear. it will do this until it cools down. smooth shifting when its cool. but when its hot its got a violent 1-2 shift and no 4th gear. its a new rebuilt tranny with a new torque converter and a new filter.

My mind is boggled and i cant find anyone else with this problem and i have no idea where to start. first i thought it was a cooling issue because the temp will fluctuate from a little under 1/2 to 3/4. it has new coolant in it. it has a clutched fan. it does it even with the A/C off. Maybe an electrical problem??

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:56 AM

I would find a good tranny shop that can hook up to it and pull the PID's from the TCM. You can also check to see if there is a relearn sequence you have to go through seening that everything has been replaced. Or you could have some stuck/dirty shift solonoid(s).

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
If the rebuilt tranny is doing the same as the old tranny then I would guess it's in the tranny control module or engine/ABS issue more so then it the tranny itself. If you could hook up a scan tool that reads the tranny info while driving you may get an idea of what's happening.
Does the shop that rebuilt the tranny have the ability to scan while driving? Or do they have an idea of what's happening?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
If the rebuilt tranny is doing the same as the old tranny then I would guess it's in the tranny control module or engine/ABS issue more so then it the tranny itself. If you could hook up a scan tool that reads the tranny info while driving you may get an idea of what's happening.
Does the shop that rebuilt the tranny have the ability to scan while driving? Or do they have an idea of what's happening?
The tranny shop i got it from is in Pa and im in Ca. i will have to find one that has one of the snap on diagnostic readers that go more in depth. I did talk to them yesterday and they told me to go get it scanned and then they can tell me what to do from there.

today on my way home from work it didnt do it, i think it was because it wasnt that hot out. but i did notice it sorta studering as i stoped. and it did it again when i backed it up.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 07:31 PM

I had a 2006 Silverado in the fleet I managed. It's tranny failed at 100,000 miles. We put a rebuilt tranny in it and at 135,000 it did the exact same thing you are describing. The check engine light was a transmission overtemp. The tranny needed to be rebuilt again.

We rebuilt it at 135,000 and the guy driving it put about 1500-2000 miles and it did the exact same thing again. We had the second tranny from an AAmco dealer and he towed it into his place and rebuilt another tranny for it. He said the torque convertor failed.

2006 is a wierd year for GM trannys too. There's the 4L60E and the 4L65E in some of the same vehicles, it was kind of like luck of the draw.

We had the 4L60E and for 2006 it has a specific computer that will only work with that year. You just about can't find a junk yard tranny for it. When they rebuild it they need to make sure they flash the computer with the correct program for the 06' or the car's main computer will not be able to properly communicate with the transmission's computer. There is two seperate computers too.

You might have a programming issue.

Good luck with it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

thanks Fergyflyer. Im about 85% sure that the tranny i took out was 4L65E. but do you know where i could take it to get the computer flashed and reprogrammed?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 PM

You started off saying you had a 4L60E. I referenced both because they were both available and used in the same vehicles that year. I believe it was a transition year.

If you pulled a 4L65E out and put a 4L60E back in or vice versus, you will need to go to a Hummer dealer and they may need to change the computer to make it work right. I don't think it can be reflashed in that case.

If you pulled a 65 and put a 65 back in, I'd still take it to the dealer and have them reflash it for the correct programs. If you got a transmission from a different year than 2006 you will probably need to change the computer in either the tranny or the vehicle.

It used to be thaat you would pull a 400 turbo tranny from a 70 chevelle and drop it into a 75 full size Buick and it worked. With electronics now, all the transmissions are year and in some cases, vehicle specific.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
You started off saying you had a 4L60E. I referenced both because they were both available and used in the same vehicles that year. I believe it was a transition year.

If you pulled a 4L65E out and put a 4L60E back in or vice versus, you will need to go to a Hummer dealer and they may need to change the computer to make it work right. I don't think it can be reflashed in that case.

If you pulled a 65 and put a 65 back in, I'd still take it to the dealer and have them reflash it for the correct programs. If you got a transmission from a different year than 2006 you will probably need to change the computer in either the tranny or the vehicle.

It used to be thaat you would pull a 400 turbo tranny from a 70 chevelle and drop it into a 75 full size Buick and it worked. With electronics now, all the transmissions are year and in some cases, vehicle specific.
DAMN do i miss my Goat...

Yes. there is a 4L60E in it now. there was a 4L65E in it. im afraid that might be the problem. but i did stop at a garage today to get the cooler lines flushed, but they were all "too busy" to do it today. I think im just gunna have the tranny shop send me the right tranny and put that one in if the Cooler line flush doesnt fix it.
Thanks!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 11:21 AM

My opinion you shouldn't have problems if it was a 4L60/65. The only differance between them is the the 65 is a stronger tranny than the 60. The electronics is the same. I will start simple first and like I said in my first post have the TCM scanned and see if they can reset the TCM shift adapt feature if they have the proper equipment. The flush is a good idea. There is a long list of things to look at under the diagnostics and symtoms in the service manual.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in