600hp Viper - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2007, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
600hp Viper

The HP war is escalating! I wonder how the Corvette SS vs Viper outcome will turn out.........

http://www.motortrend.com/photo_gall..._viper_gallery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 07:51 AM

I too read the article on the new 600 hp Viper, but it has the same 0 to 60 times as the current Z06 WTF. And the article didn't even show the Viper's 1/4 mile times WTF. And Motor Trend show's an estimated cost of $90,000 plus WTF.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good 2 go View Post
The HP war is escalating! I wonder how the Corvette SS vs Viper outcome will turn out.........

http://www.motortrend.com/photo_gall..._viper_gallery
They're looking at 650-700 hp from the Corvette SS and it's more than 300lbs lighter than the Viper. You need to start thinking how the Saleen S7 versus the SS wil turn out.

There is talk of them not making a Z06. The Z51 option will get a diferent engine than the base Corvette.

Next year the base Vette will have 450. The Next step up is expected to go to 550, wether that is the Z06 or the Z51. For 2009 the SS comes out with massive hp.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 01:05 PM

The 2006 SSC Ultimate Aero has a highly modified Corvette engine in it and read what it can do, the Viper doesn't stand a chance. Not even the 225,000 dollar hennessey can match those number's. http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ssc/ssc...ro-ar3244.html
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 06:44 PM

Guys, we are living in the absolute BEST time to be a musclecar/sportscar fan. Most of us are driving cars which could smoke almost anything produced in the late 60s early 70s (what many consider to be THE muscle car era). If you adjust the prices of our car for inflation to 1969 dollars, we're paying about as much as your average V8 camaro with a few options, but we're getting Yenko+ performance! From that era, virtually no car that you could buy from your local dealer could even hold a candle to the performance of our cars. We also get EXTRAORDINARY gas mileage (in comparison to the old muscle cars) and a helluva lot more comfort, drivability and reliability. Drive an old muscle car, then get back in your GTO and you'll find that your GTO is sooooo much easier to drive, PLUS, it goes around corners!!

Back to the topic...I think Dodge stepped in it with this viper. Sure, it's faster than the previous viper, which was probably their goal. It's also more expensive. It's no faster than a Z06, which is nearly $30k CHEAPER than the snake. I suspect that the quarter mile times for the viper will be a few mph slower and a couple tenths slower than the ZO6 due to the viper's heavier weight (and barely enough horsepower to compensate). Given two good drivers, the differences will be very very small though. The problem is that at the $100k mark, the market opens up and there are quite a few cars to choose from which will leave the viper in their tire smoke...in both performance AND especially in features.

I need not even mention what the Corvette SS is gonna do to the viper, because that's fairly obvious. Less weight + more horsepower = faster 100% of the time (where aerodynamics aren't taken into account, and the corvette and viper are similar aerodynamically). I have only heard rumors about the price of the SS, but I expect it to come in less than the viper by several thousand dollars. At this point, it would seem to be a no-brainer concerning which is the better bang-for-the-buck.

I do like the styling of the viper...I always have. They are slick-looking cars. If I had a ton of cash, I'd probably own one or two...in addition to my fleet of corvettes, camaros and GTOs (among others). However, between a Z06 and a 600hp viper, I'd go Z06 every time...between a SS and a 600hp viper...well, it's not even a question anymore.

The SSC Ultimate Aero is wicked fast and I bet it would be a BLAST to drive, but I really don't care for the styling much at all. Between the SSC and the Bugatti, I'd pay the extra $340k for the looks alone, even though it's a bit slower (where in the hell am I ever gonna be able to do 240mph anyway?!?).

This topic is purely theoretical for me, since I probably won't win the lottery anytime soon, but it suuuuure is fun to imagine!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 01:32 PM

Here is a pic of the new Viper I took at NAIAS.
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Viper.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	987
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in