User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Almost Blinded Last Night in my Shop

Catchy heading....
A freak accident. Isn't that how most accidents go?
Disclaimer: I'm a general contractor for 30 years. I teach safety courses. I know what's right and what's wrong,,,,, safety wise. Yep, it happened to me...
I just finished installing my HF media blaster cabinet (the large floor based model). I powered it up and was testing the unit out and changing the tips, trying to find the best tip for the medial I was using. My compressor was next to the media blaster.
NO SAFETY GLASSES.
I WAS A DUMB ASS (oh, it's okay - there's a heavy plastic and glass shield over the enclosure).
I was tired and heard an odd noise on my compressor. The blast door was open (compressor to the right of the open door).
I leaned down to the compressor controls with my head inline with the open blast door.
Suddenly, I head something and turned my head to look at the media cabinet.
And..... the nozzle blew off the hose at high pressure 14" from my face.
My eyes were wide open, no safety glasses. The tip shot by my head and the glass media hit my straight in the face and eyes. Wide open.
I staggered back and fell. I couldn't see and it felt like my face and eyes had just been sand blasted off my face.
I crawled to the compressor and turned it off. I was blinded.
No one was home.
I felt my way inside and to the bathroom. Grabbed a bottle of saline solution and started pouring into my eyes and face.
After more then an hour, most of the glass/sand was out of my eyes and I could see somewhat. My face is raw.
The only good thing is I had contacts in. The contacts absorbed most of the impact. However, around my pupils where my contacts were covering, I have burst capillaries all around. Looks like I'm a weird stoner guy.....
I didn't know what my vision would be like this morning. It's fine, thank god.
MORAL OF THE STORY: DON'T BE A DUMB ASS. ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
I'm going to buy several new pairs and hang them inside the door of my shop. When I go in, they go on.
Plus, new first aid kit easily identified and located. And, a way to call for help fast.
Be safe out there!
Oh, my shop is in shambles. Black media EVERYWHERE. My weekend plans just changed....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 02:16 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Sounds like you dodged a bullet.
I would go see an optometrist to make sure you got all the particulate out and get some drops for infection.
You don't want to screw around with your eyes.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

thanks, i went in today. they looked good for what happened.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Holy crap man!!! Glad to hear your ok!! Yes safety first lol

2006 GTO M6

Motor - Stock with Vararam
Bunch of suspension
Bunch of brakes
Stock tune

365/368 std
12.81 @ 110.6 2.03 60'
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Roper View Post
Sounds like you dodged a bullet.
I would go see an optometrist to make sure you got all the particulate out and get some drops for infection.
You don't want to screw around with your eyes.
+1 for this. I was working on my chevelle once, on my back, hit the header with a wrench while working on the starter and rust fell into my eye.

I thought i got it all out but went to the walkin clinic anyways just to be sure.

They put eye drops in my eye that were florescent. When they put the black light by my eye you could see tons of scratches everywhere! In fact because of that the doc went digging, and found a piece of rust that was all the way BEHIND my eye. Scary stuff. He gave me eye drops to cleanse and disinfect the eye and had to wear an eye patch for a few days.

Definitely better safe then sorry when it comes to the eyes, go get it checked out!

2006 GTO M6

Motor - Stock with Vararam
Bunch of suspension
Bunch of brakes
Stock tune

365/368 std
12.81 @ 110.6 2.03 60'
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

I picked up 3 new safety glasses and I'm building a shelf at the door to the shop to hold the glasses, eye wash and a first aid kit. In the shop, glasses on. Out of the shop, glasses off. Especially as I have teenagers that love to work on their cars in the shop.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 11:01 AM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd J Sullivan View Post
I picked up 3 new safety glasses and I'm building a shelf at the door to the shop to hold the glasses, eye wash and a first aid kit. In the shop, glasses on. Out of the shop, glasses off. Especially as I have teenagers that love to work on their cars in the shop.
You may want to add a full face shield for grinding, blasting and wire wheel.
I had a piece of wire stick me right below my eye off a wire wheel even though I was wearing safety glasses.

Another safety tip when using mechanics wire bend a loop in the end on the spool, reel out what you need and when you cut it bend another loop in that end.
My dad's friend 40 years ago lost his left eye wiring something up when the wire he was using flipped around and got him in the eye.
Freak accidents like this can happen, he would have been fine if the wire had been bent with a loop on the end.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I'm glad it wasn't worse. Man, it's so easy to get caught up in the moment and focused on what you're trying to accomplish that you don't stop to think what could happen to you if something goes wrong.

Since we moved "out to the country" I've been trying to discipline my thinking to slow down and consider things like that --- it's not like we're nearby a medical facility any more.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Glad to hear you are all right. I just illustrates who quick things can go wrong. I hope everyone takes a minute to re-think safety . especially me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in