Another stupid political threat… - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another stupid political threat…

I was going to post this on the 9/11 string but decided that should be for 9/11 conspiracy theories that I think are based more on fiction, imagination, and political views… Although, sometimes conspiracies turn out to be true…

Just a single question… It should be a simple question with a simple answer… but somehow it’s not all that simple…

How has America benefited from occupying Iraq?

It’s an important question for many reasons… And it really goes to the root of why Americans are losing resolve in this war…

Almost 4 years into it, America is weighing the benefits with the costs… This will ultimately drive the decision whether we stay or go…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 02:12 PM

When I was in 3rd grade, a kid pushed me into a wall. I jumped up and punched him right in the nose. I got sent home from school. You know what my dad said? "If you don't punch someone in the nose every once in a while you are going to get pushed around alot more".
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 02:16 PM

America has not occupied Iraq. We have liberated it from a tyranical dictator. How that ultimately benefits the US is of some debate for sure.

Either one adheres to the notion that Iraq was a stabilizing/base for terrorism or one does not. History will tell, but I am of the opinion that if Democracy vs Theocracy can take a rehold of the middle east, the US and the entire world will benefit, regardless of the opinion on terrorism. Was our current course of action the best one? Very debatable, Im not convinced it was, but at the time and given the sanctions by the UN, I don't where else we could have started.

Islamic Fascist want the Zionists killed, folowed by (or in conjuction with) the death of the capitalist west (US) It is a very compelling threat now that they (terrorists) have access to nukes. Gives me the creeps, must not be allowed to escalate.

I think what we need to do is offer a timeline for the new Iraqi government to restablish order there with our help. Without progress, we have no exit, and this sucketh.

Don't doubt for one second the resolve of the Islamic Fundamentalists to do us in.

When one is cornered by coiled hissing rattler, no negotiations or debate will save you. The snake must be dealt with.

Last edited by bg2m8o; 02-01-2007 at 02:20 PM.
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I agree we are not occupying Iraq, we liberated it.

The way things have gone so far.. other than removing Saddam not much. What good will happen if all goes to plan, A LOT.

Personally I don't see it happening. We are going to lose this as I stated in a previous post.

Iraqnam

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

I guess it might of sounded like a loaded question but it really isn’t…

If we are going to win this thing we need to get our feet on solid ground and make the point that makes the sacrifice worth it…

Iraq has been bombed back a good 70 years… all the educated people are leaving to neighboring countries leaving the tribal war mongers to fight it out…

Just lay it all out on the table… Do we continue staying the course? Do we get out?

It’s one or the other…

BTW, by every definition of the word we are occupiers in Iraq…
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

BTW, by every definition of the word we are occupiers in Iraq…
If you want to get technical..... we are occupying Iraq because we are there. Just as we were in France, Italy, Germany etc during WWII. Once they were liberated we DEoccupied those places. Just like we will in Iraq unless we lose.
And if we do, you will see the Iranian flag there and they will be the occupiers.

www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Actually Judge, no...

We are militarily controlling Iraq… In France, there wasn’t armed patrols of US soldiers conducting military operations in civilian neighborhoods four years after their liberation… We weren’t propping-up a government saying, when they stand-up we will stand down. France was in control of their own country… The current government of Iraq is not…

Iraq would be in full blown civil war if we weren’t militarily in control…

If I am wrong maybe you can describe what an occupation is…
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 04:50 PM

Yeah, occupation isn't a bad word in and of itself. I don't know why we, as Americans, feel the need to be so ashamed of our self defense measures. I don't think Iraq is worse off now than it was before we "occupied" it, and outside of Bush hater's and news pundits, Iraqis tend to agree with that statement (except for the 1-5% that benefited from the dictator). Sure, there will be plenty of casualties on both sides for a long time to come, but since when did we get so disillusioned as to think we could fight a war and not have that, soldiers and civilians alike.

There will be growing pains with this conflict as there are with all wars, and we're either going to stick it out and continue to contain it overseas with our current peace time military, or pull out, put our heads in the sand and wait for a global war that will really be something to bitch about. Alot of people think a world war of I and II scale won't happen again, I disagree.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Actually Judge, no...

We are militarily controlling Iraq… In France, there wasn’t armed patrols of US soldiers conducting military operations in civilian neighborhoods four years after their liberation… We weren’t propping-up a government saying, when they stand-up we will stand down. France was in control of their own country… The current government of Iraq is not…

Iraq would be in full blown civil war if we weren’t militarily in control…

If I am wrong maybe you can describe what an occupation is…
What's going on in Iraq is vastly different. In France, etc our troops didn't encounter the insurgency they are engaging with in Iraq. The enemy was clearly defined. In Iraq the enemy is camouflaged.

Iraq is not going to be our next state. We are set up there militarily to prevent what you described. If in France, Italy etc we encountered the same kind of resistance there as is occurring in Iraq now, all would have been different. The civil war there is occurring before everyone's eyes, and it's going on now whether anyone wants to admit it or not. Both sides are in the process of trying to eliminate the other.

Once Iraq gets control of their country our military will stand down. The King keeps telling everyone this, but the Far Left refuses to believe him. Iran keeps funding the insurgency to keep us there. They are provoking an all out war with us. The evidence of this is overwhelming. Surely you can see this.

Only Far Left ideology would suggest we conquered Iraq to occupy it and not leave. If you want to get technical, we are occupying Iraq until they can take care of themselves. Until then we're stuck there, unless of course you agree with the Far Left and we pull up now an leave and watch Iran raise their flag there.

www.gtoaa.org

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habuzaki View Post
Yeah, occupation isn't a bad word in and of itself. I don't know why we, as Americans, feel the need to be so ashamed of our self defense measures. I don't think Iraq is worse off now than it was before we "occupied" it, and outside of Bush hater's and news pundits, Iraqis tend to agree with that statement (except for the 1-5% that benefited from the dictator). Sure, there will be plenty of casualties on both sides for a long time to come, but since when did we get so disillusioned as to think we could fight a war and not have that, soldiers and civilians alike.

There will be growing pains with this conflict as there are with all wars, and we're either going to stick it out and continue to contain it overseas with our current peace time military, or pull out, put our heads in the sand and wait for a global war that will really be something to bitch about. Alot of people think a world war of I and II scale won't happen again, I disagree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in