LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone have a Home Theater Projector?

As the title says, I'm looking for opinions and recommendations for a Home Theater Projector for a theater room we are putting in the basement.

I have it all wired up and ready for surround sound and the projector in the ceiling just confused on my needs for resolution, brightness, and such. My screen size can be up to 7ftx12ft and my projector will be ceiling mounted and 8 ft from the "screen".

Any help or recommendations appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Garage
Wow, so much interest here I couldn't wait to update.

To anyone who has ever considered a home theater projector I say "Go for it"! For the price ($599 on Amazon w/free shipping) compared to any TV it is a steal! Amazing picture quality and gaming and movies/Netflix/internet/cable all available to me on a 120" screen (as I have it configured now ; it will project up to a 300" screen ) is the best viewing experience I've ever had.

It works best in low light/dark but i can still watch it comfortably with the lights on.

Watching the Superbowl was amazing! Well......you know what I mean lol .
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 01:29 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Shucks! Sorry I missed your post first time around. Glad you are happy with your projector. SUPER Bowl,,,what Super Bowl. Half time show was best part. I know this is a GTO forum but if anybody else is planning a home theater, I can offer the following advice.

I work in the audio/video industry designing systems for corporate, government and higher education.

Let’s start with screen size. How far is the farthest seat from the screen? For example, if your theater is 20’ deep, the viewer farthest from the screen may be about 19’ away. To determine minimum screen size, divide 19’ by 6 to determine screen height. 19/6=3.166 feet or 38” high.

The projector should be able to project full 1080p resolution. This is the resolution you will get from Blu-ray and even Netflix is now made 1080p resolution available.
The 1080p aspect ratio (ratio of width to height) is 16:9. So a 38” high screen would be 67.5” wide (77.5” measured diagonally). I know, it doesn’t sound very big but it would be big enough. Here is a good screen size calculator:

Draper?s Custom Projector Screen Size Calculator

Perhaps you only have one row of seating, say a couch. That would represent the farthest fewer seating position. I suppose you could go bigger on screen size but I would not go TOO much bigger.

Projector brightness is also important. Does the room have good light control? Can you darken the room in the middle of the day? As long as you are able to darken the room, I would buy a projector with about 2500 to 3000 lumens light output.

You also need a good projection screen. A painted white wall will not give the quality image you want. Put up a real projection screen with a matt white surface.

I like DLP based projectors over LCD based. Here is a link to great recourse for the projector shopper.

Top 10 Home Theater Projectors
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Garage
Thanks for the reply. Wish we could have discussed this before I made all my plans but all things considered I think we got phenomenal results without much cash outlay and left open the option of upgrades in the future.

I did not spend thousands of dollars and got Great picture and sound quality with a moderately priced, reconditioned (with 2 year warranty) projector and pieced together a surround sound system.

I do use a flat white painted wall "screen" with the surrounding area painted a gold/yellow color like the rest of the room; honestly it has great picture quality but I may invest in a quality screen in the future. Quality insulation and sectional lighting that can be controlled from various places in the room add to the ambiance and home theater experience.

Best advice I can give is get a good quality projector with like you said minimum 2500-3000 lumens and 1080P. And buy from a reputable seller. Bad experience with Projector World site that popped up when I was searching projectors. If a deal sounds too good to be true it probably is. Luckily for me my CC company and Amazon came through for me.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I believe they make a special paint with microspheres for the screen wall too, neighbor did the same thing and i was impressed. I do a lot of basement build outs and wish i had more than a cellar with 5.5' ceilings, but then again my house was built before indoor plumbing...LOL. Basements are the cheapest finished living space your gonna get, and averaging 800 sq ft it can add 30%+ of habitable space although you can't usually list as square footage on sale.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There ia a paint product called "Screen Goo":

Goo Systems, Screen Goo, Projector Screen Paint, Digital Signage | gooscreen.com

Just roll it on the wall and you got a pretty good screen surface. This way You-Tube videos of classic GTOs will look awsome! The detail in the smoking burnouts seem to jump right off the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in