Anyone received a RADAR ticket? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone received a RADAR ticket?

I was wondering if anyone has received a radar ticket from the front? I got to looking over my car, and there are very few right-angles to reflect the radar back to the cop, on the front of our cars. We have a lot of 90+ degree angles, and very few 90- degree angles from the front.

If you did get a ticket from the front, did you have a front license plate, or license plate holder installed? As far as I can tell, that's the only reliable place which would reflect a decent signal back to the officer.

From the rear, we're a sitting duck, due to the vertical shape of the back of the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:26 PM

LOL

radar will get you with ease
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 05:51 PM

I got shot from the front. Got a 95 in a 55. No front license plate.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickinfights View Post
I got shot from the front. Got a 95 in a 55. No front license plate.
Holy ****, 95, thats got to hurt! My magic number is 75, whenever I get caught it's allways 75.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 08:27 PM

I was hit... in the rear...

damn geico commercials.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 05:48 PM

I was driving home from the dealer with the GTO. I wasn't paying enough attention to my speed and went past a cop at 55 in a 45 zone in a construction zone. The cop came right out and hit his lights and pulled me over.

He asked why I was going so fast. I told him I had just bought the car and didn't realize I was going as fast as I was. He checked out my odometer and saw just over 20 miles on it. He told me I had a very nice car and I need to be careful with it and keep it under control, especially with all the power it has. He then checked the car out, I even let him sit in it and we checked out the engine.

He told me to have a nice day and that was it.

He did clock me with radar.

Angular lines and panels tend to do wierd things to radar. curved ones present a better radar picture to the gun. You actually need the sharp angles and panels angled to deflect radar away from the gun.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 07:15 PM

you don't necessarily need sharp lines... how about the B2?
I suppose it helps to have that trickly coating applied to the outer skin, and the trick composite structural members. LOL
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 04:13 PM

Aint the front of the car as much as what is under the skin of the front of the car. I heard that older vetts were a little more stealthy than a regular car to radar because their radiator was tilted back several degrees. Makes sense to me... So if our radiators were tilted about 30 degrees we would be a little more stealthy to radar gun...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Radar works best with large, vertical areas...like the large radiator covers of an 18-wheeler. Our radiator really doesn't have much of anything to do with it, because it's not visible. I'd be willing to bet that the huge majority of the radar reflection from our cars are from the front plates and the bumper, where it is fairly vertical.

I'd bet that ALL corvettes are hard on radar, or all recent ones anyway, there are virtually no vertical surfaces.

90 degree angles to the road/radar are what reflects best. So if the radar was run from the side of the road, our fog lights would also be viable targets.

They do sell that radar-absorbing stuff (usually clear and painted on). I've seen some tests done on it somewhere, it works only a portion of a time so I didn't look into it much more. It would be nice to completely be invisible from radar, or have very few surfaces which could possibly reflect the radar back to the device.

I had never gotten radar-d from the front, which is why I asked if anyone else had. I thought maybe...just MAYBE, our cars were a bit less impervious...but I guess I was wrong. I wasn't gonna go down to the local speed trap and find out for myself either.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2007, 08:51 PM

Fergy, is it true they slant the radiator in the new vett's to prevent radar detection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in