Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Toyota's legendary customer support. A few years ago, they sold millions of cars with defective seats belts. Instead of addressing the problems, a Toyota spokesman said that the belts were jamming because "Americans spill food and sticky soft drinks in their cars and do not keep them clean."

Enjoy your lemons, suckers.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 03:35 PM

Wow i didn't know they were so bad about that. Toyota should know better, cockiness is the main reason why domestic companies took a dive in the 80s and 90s.

The dealerships do reem you for stuff though, they wanted to charge us over $100 for a new key for my mom's camry. $70 for a damn hubcap, that we later found a website that sells them for $30. They charge $1440 for dealer-installed window tint, the same price they charge for 16" alloys.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 07:01 PM

Toyota has lost their way (IMHO).

They had a real advantage in mechanical design & reliability once upon a time but domestic manufacturers and even upstarts like the Koreans have largely closed the gap.

They used to have innovative interior designs with superior ergonomics and finish. Europeans lead the way now and domestics are no longer a joke (cept for Ford).

They used to have at least some product that was interesting such as the Supra or MR2 Turbo. Now they specialize in boring & bland front wheel drive sedans, minivans, and SUV's. Kind of like a domestic US manufacturer.

Apparently, they have even learned to treat the customer just like Detroit does.

Gentlemen......we have a new Oldsmobile.......OK cars that nobody wants.

Don't tell the guys at consumer reports. They'd be crushed.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing_Nut
Don't tell the guys at consumer reports. They'd be crushed.

A little crying over their stock options that were donated to them from a unanimus(yes spelled wrong. To lazy to change it) source.

Last edited by dealernut; 05-08-2006 at 11:22 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabhartLSX
Wow i didn't know they were so bad about that. Toyota should know better, cockiness is the main reason why domestic companies took a dive in the 80s and 90s.

The dealerships do reem you for stuff though, they wanted to charge us over $100 for a new key for my mom's camry. $70 for a damn hubcap, that we later found a website that sells them for $30. They charge $1440 for dealer-installed window tint, the same price they charge for 16" alloys.
i had a simular experience with my girlfriends Scion tC, anything from the dealer was overpriced and than the salesman told her to change the oil at 1,000 miles....WTF? So there i am arguing with everyone until i look up the manual and everyone went real quiet (except for me) after looking at it, especially the idiot salesman. hehe
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 07:25 PM

can you say OVER RATED?
speaking of over rated I made the mistake of buying a Honda years ago .......biggest POS I ever owned
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 07:38 PM

I've never worked at a car repair shop so I don't know the numbers, but from what I've seen of friend's, coworkers, etc cars, I've never seen anything to indicate the certain manufacturers are "bulletproof" the way I often hear them touted. Instead, it seems like pretty much every manufacturer has lemons and good cars, and (for the most part), it more has to do with how a driver maintains a car--the majority of the cars I've seen that have lots of problems are older, high mileage, and not well maintained (surprise surprise). Whereas the well maintained cars work fine. 3 coworkers have vehicles with over 200k miles--a Chevy, a Jeep, and a Honda.

More to the point of Toyotas, I don't have a lot of experience with them, but I did "share" a Toyota with a roommate once. A 2000 MR2. I expect it would have some problems, being a first-year model. And, the engine/transmission held up during the time I was co-driver. But, the body/interior/trim was below average quality. Things like speakers rattling, bits of plastic breaking off, things like that. Then the gas door, which could only be opened by a lever from the interior, broke while we were at a gas station, on empty. Door couldn't be opened. Roommate pried it open (it was a semi-emergency) and Toyota refused to fix it until my roommate spoke to 3 different dealerships then called Corporate.

I don't know what happened to the car in the end as my roommate refused to talk about it, but somehow the car caught fire when it was just over a year old. I do not know if it was vandalism, arson on my roommate's part (he was low on $ at the time), or mechanical issue, so I don't blame Toyota for that without knowing the story.

06 IBM/blue M6 18"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 08:47 PM

Sometimes I think the technology has just exceeded the need with automobiles. Great gizmos and performance enhancing features, but just more to go wrong.

Electronic ignition and fuel injection were great innovations, and have proven themselves over time. I'm not sure all the rest is worth the risk for repair costs down the road.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 08:50 AM

Sounds like Clueless has a clue about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in