post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Best and worst Automotive trends

Best and worst Automotive trends

What is your list of likes and dislikes among todays OEM's and aftermarket?

For me, its new car styling. With a few exceptions it's pretty clear there are no original designs coming out of the styling studios. Every small or midsize car could basically swap grills and you couldn't tell one from the other. Also how cheap the interiors look with all the plastic that doesn't even color match.

For the aftermarket i'm talking about current trends in modifications people do to there cars. I'm talking about things like 24" rims on musclecars or anything with a fart pipe.

I hate to see people ruin a vintage musclecar by putting those damn oversized rims, I recently saw a beautiful 70' 442 in North County that had a set of blingin' rims on it and it looked like hell.

As far as the fart pipes, I can turn my head and not have to look at some riced out Civic or Kia but why do I have to hear that annoying rasping drone their car makes? Also hate those huge eyelashes people put on their bugs and Fiats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 03:08 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Most cars have no style anymore. I hate the bling wheels as well. The F350s with monster energy stickers and elk decals are tired too..

How about the plastidip trend? Cars completely plastidipped are terrible!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 06:46 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Garage
My biggest bitch is that you cannot spec out a car by individual items like the early days. I think this began to change in the early to mid 1980's. Everything comes in "packages" and that means cost. This is my made upexample, but you get the picture. If I want the 5-speed, I have to get the "package" that includes HD clutch, HD suspension, HD shocks, anti-roll system, limited slip differential, HD U-joints and drive shaft, HD brake upgrade, power steering, comfort grip steering wheel, aluminum rims, big name tires, HD radiator. Cost.....$8,500 for the "package". I just can't get the $2,000 5-speed. Looked into getting a new "farm" type truck years ago, you know, crank up windows, rubber mat, vinyl bench seat, steel rims, poverty hub caps, etc.. Was told they don't make those anymore because trucks are too popularly used as one uses a car......comfort and all the "packages".

I rented a 2014 Toyota Corolla in March. It had a large touch screen in the middle of the dash to operate your radio/bluetooth/mileage minder. To operate it, you DID have to take your eyes off the road. At night it was viewable. Daylight and a little sun glare, forget it. Sometimes technology gets stupid. Radio knobs and a readable dial just don't cut it anymore.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Oh yeah, what's the deal with touch screens? Seems if everyone has an Iphone or Ipad then they'll want one in their car too? We rented a Ford C max hybrid last year and the touch screen was confusing and always had fingerprints on it. I'm with you Jim in that I think consumers would like a simpler car as an option without all the toys. Seems automakers don't make enough off the car alone they have to sell you all the packages.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OEM... bland cars. And why are they all beige or silver?

Aftermarket... the extreme riced out cars from a decade ago are dying. Anymore if I see em, they are driven by Mexicans or teenagers... almost without exception. And I agree, the fart pipes are the worst... the ironic thing is most of the cars don't even sound that bad if they used a catback exhaust rather than just hacking off the muffler and putting a can on.

My biggest aftermarket bitch is the stance kids though. They are today's fart pipe and stickers group... "Ok...let's see how narrow of a tire we can fit on as wide of a wheel as possible, and for shits and giggles... ALL OF THE NEGATIVE CAMBER. ALL OF IT!"

Here's an example for those that may not be aware... at least we don't have to hear them.

1966 GTO 428ci/4spd - spun bearing
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 07:54 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
I hate that the Japanese (Toyota and Lexus in particular) have fallen for the clear tail light lenses. Stupid. Also, that all the new trucks have copied the '96 styled Dodge. The new Toyota 4 Runner is so FUGLY that I'd never own one. I guess I'll keep driving my goodlooking, tailgate equipped '94. And I HATE the ghetto rims.....made popular by drug dealers in the big cities, and now, like (c)RAP music, everywhere, in every culture. A monument to bad taste. The Foose look on musclecars (two and three tone paint and huge wheels) is a complete fail in my book, as well. My biggest bone to pick? Super loud bass thumper stereos that can be heard for 3 miles. In my opinion it's just a way for some low-functioning hamster to bully everybody for blocks around. Totally inconsiderate. And, usually, that guy is the one with the Ghetto wheels.....go figure!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The biggest problem is there is never a complete car. Just projects that never go anywhere. I'm about done with the local car scene and either buying an exotic or going hardcore with road courses.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Manufacturers design things for the demands of the market instead of what really works.
OEM : SUVs with 20inch wheels stock and 335 width, and thats supposed to go off road.
The new camaro that feels like you are sitting in a bunker with its small windows and limited visibility. All the new muscle cars are a step back in aerodynamics. The new charger : they were so busy to make it look and sound mean that I am surprised they didn't forget to put an engine in it. There is way too many cars that are form over function right now.

Aftermarket : Riced out cars (and they don't do it just to japanese cars), big wheels, loud music, lowered cars, hella flush aesthetics ..... . I think that 99% of the modded cars look and even perform worse (overlowered suspension, 300lbs of music, big wheels) than stock.
And the worst is all this e-bay crap like 200$ longtubes and electric superchargers. Buying an electric supercharger is like buying a penis enlargement pill, it won't give you any boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in