Biggest Highway Pet Peeves and Road Courtesy - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Biggest Highway Pet Peeves and Road Courtesy

I was driving on the interstate yesterday (minding my own business), and I was movin' along pretty well, right up until I came up on this line of 3 cars...all of which were in the left lane...none of which were going much faster than the cars in the right lane (68mph in a 70mph zone). This happens to me ALL OF THE TIME, and it's one of those things that irritates me to no end. I was finally able to get around the rear two cars, and got behind the original offender...who, despite plenty of room in the right lane, decided to be a jerk and stay in the left lane. I got up on his bumper, which I admit was not a very cool thing to do, but at this point, he'd been slowing me down for nearly 10 minutes and I was getting a bit impatient because if I didn't get further south, I was going to get caught in the St. Louis rush-hour...which is downright nasty, and would have added an additional 30-45 minutes to my trip home. Anyway, when the right lane finally cleared and I decided that he was never gonna get over, I flipped on my bright lights (and they are VERY bright, since I added the HIDs), laid on my horn and flew around him on the right, 4 other cars followed me.

In a 3 hour drive, that happened to me 12 times...and only about half of the drive was on a 2-lane highway. 4 of those times, it happened on 4-lane highway, which made it just a bit easier to get around the idiot.

I don't know why cops don't pay attention to that kind of stuff. I never worked in an area where there was an interstate when I was a police officer, so I can't really say if it's something I would have noticed or not. There are signs posted every couple of miles which say "Slower cars must remain in right lane", and it IS Missouri Law that they must obey those signs. I have never seen, or heard of anyone getting a ticket for that. On the autobahn, you will receive a ticket for remaining in the left lane for any additional time after you've passed someone...you cannot drive in the left lane like people do here. I am a firm believer that one of these days, somebody is gonna come over into the right lane and hit my car, but am I expected to ALWAYS wait, even though someone is breaking the law? I am patient to an extent, but I have very little patience with stupidity.

Another thing that irks me is whenever someone pulls out in front of me (when they SEE me coming, and KNOW I'm going to have to slow down). This actually happens to me at least a couple of times every time I drive. No, I don't speed everywhere I go (I know there's someone thinking that). I just have the WORST luck when it comes to getting behind a jerk.

One other **HUGE** pet peeve of mine is when someone pulls out in front of me, and then makes an immediate left...causing me to come to a complete stop.

And last, but not least...the people who brake going down big hills, then decide not to give their car any gas until we've slowed down to way below the speed limit. I swear, this wastes a TREMENDOUS amount of gasoline around the world each year. If people would just use the common sense that *most* of us were given at birth, they'd realize that one could save a significant amount of gas by allowing the car to speed up going DOWN the hill, so that they will have enough momentum that they won't have to shift down and go to high-rpm driving to get UP the hill! This just seems like a big "DUH" moment to me.

Where has the courtesy gone? I've been driving for 15 years, and it seems to me that the level of courtesy on the road is fading away more each year. Are there just more jerks on the highway, or am I just noticing more now that I'm getting older and have less time to do things and less patience? Also, how do y'all deal with idiots like the ones described? What bugs YOU most when you're out there on the highways?

Feel free to let it all out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:23 PM

Been there, done that. I think the requirements for getting/maintaining a driver's license are getting less strict. That, or fewer people really care about quality driving. I wish the law allowed someone to pass as fast as possible, but any speed over the limit is a ticketable offense. I find myself trying to get around someone who is going a bit slower than me and then they speed up ever so slightly making it harder to get around them. I try to drive 5 over as that is a relatively safe "violation." Invariably, someone who thinks they drive the NASCAR circuit comes up behind me at 10+ over and does the tailgate, lights flashing thing to get me to move over. I'm already violating the law, and really don't feel like I should have to take anymore risk. I'd love to just be able to stomp it and get around the idiot and out of the other guy's way so that Mr. Occifer can bust him. If they just left 5 minutes earlier, then driving 80 wouldn't be needed.

2004 QuickSilver GTO
M6
Stock
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:30 PM

i'm going to have to add the all famous "you should try driving my roads sometime" line before anyone else does. i agree with you that there are too many zombies in the gun and go lane that don't seem to realize there's an anchor dragging lane. what i also hate to see is an idiot in the gun and go lane playing dale earnhart "intimidator" swaying back and forth back and forth when with all that wasted motion they can blow past the zombie. i watched that once for about 2 miles then i had had enough, dropped her down to fourth, bye bye and the swayer saw he could get around as well but hung back for the next 30 miles of the trip even though i was in easy mode. i had a jerk on my tail once in a bonneville that i really really wasn't in any rush so i toyed with an a4 audi some and ended up blowing by this bonneville. well mr bonneville thought it was cool to draft on my rear at 100+ mph even after i got in the slow lane to allow mr nascar around. was a bad weekend for that, christmas holiday and all. let's see, usually i'm in a great mood driving until someone tailgates me, they play speed racer and try to intimidate everyone else or the traffic just won't allow the speed limit. 3 lanes of traffic at 20 mph below sucks. also the bumper to bumper method of preventing anyone into the gun and go lane. turn on your indicator and they close up faster than an aligator with a deer in his chompers. i could go on and on and on like when it rains here "our adverse weather" you have two schools of driving, slow down to mall cruising speeds or let's hydroplane to grandmother's house speeds. but then again with visibility approaching 2 ft (better at night time) i never know what is in front of you nor behind you until it's too late. o yeah also those folks that drive the merging lane like they never knew it was merging. like i've been driving this road for the past 30 years , wow when did they add that merging lane there? rascals. well i'll come up with some more later. "you should drive my roads some time' o yeah MAN holes not potholes because i never seen a pot that big. caudron maybe
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:33 PM

Bad driving is on the increase out here in California big time. The people that get in the left lane and drop anchor, the idiots who make a right on red with no clue about something called "rate of closure," the morons in their WRXs and STIs that absolutely, positively MUST HAVE to race at every opportunity no matter how many cars are around, the passive aggressives who putt along until you try to get by them, etc. are everywhere.

Thing is none of the state DMVs make people become good drivers in order to earn their license -- and all the cops do is ticket for speed and red lights.

The worst experience I've had in a long, long time happened last week. Was merging onto a freeway from a cloverleaf. On my left is several lanes of traffic. On my right is a ramp merging from another freeway -- with some a-hole teenage girl in her VW Golf blabbing on the phone. I see she isn't paying attention -- but I'm ahead of her so I figure it isn't a problem. What happens? She sees me, stomps on the gas, speeds up, then cuts across the front of me because her ramp is coming to an end. If I don't hit the brakes, I'm into her.

I swear I wanted to go catch up with that fat, pimply faced pig and spin her out -- but figured she wasn't worth the hassle. Will hopefully she her ugly mug in the obits soon.

Last edited by b_a_betterperson; 01-16-2007 at 07:37 PM.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

I think that it's the idiots traveling at half the speed of smell who are causing all the problems. NOT the people who observe the speed limits, or break them by 5-10mph. On the interstate here, we have a minimum speed limit of 40, but it should be more like 60-65 if the speed limit is 70.

Another cool thing that's done on the autobahn is that tickets are priced based on income. On a documentary I saw a while back about the autobahn, a guy got a $250k ticket for parking on the side of the road...because all tickets are income-based. That would be an OUTSTANDING idea here. Or they could base the tickets on how stupid the act was...for example, driving in the left lane means you got your car confiscated, pulling out in front of someone and then making a turn, causing everyone behind you to stop means that you lose your license PERMANENTLY...stuff like that.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 07:57 PM

What I like to do with those left lane hoggers is this. First get right on there ass and flash my lights. If this fails I get in front of them and I slow to about 45 when they swerve over in the right lane to pass this jerk (in some kinda grand prix), I throw her in 3rd and burn away. The problem is that no drivers ed I have ever heard of teaches Interstate etiquette.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 08:49 PM

All of the above get me.

Add on these:

The person that is behind you that passes you and slows down so you have to pass them. Then they speed up as you pass them, but if you get in behind them they slow back down.

The person that is flying along, and even though there isn't anyone behind you feels the need to pass you then dive in front of you. They then hit the brakes slow down and exit.

The person that feels the need to pull out right in front of you into the passing lane. They did this because they were driving 71 and the car ahead of them was driving 70. There was enough room between the car ahead and them they could have stayed put while you passed at 75-80, but no they have to get out from behind the car at 70.

The idiots in these monster sized bus platform motorhomes that drive into the mountains of Colorado and California on a winding 2 lane. They aren't able to go anywhere near the speed limit and they are so terrified of flipping off the road they really don't get to see anything. Usually they have a car in tow so they could have parked the bus somewhere safe and went exploring in the normal sized vehicle. What are these Q-tips thinking.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron_iv View Post
On a documentary I saw a while back about the autobahn, a guy got a $250k ticket for parking on the side of the road...because all tickets are income-based. That would be an OUTSTANDING idea here.
Not really, because the offenders in primer-and-bondo buckets of crap would never get ticketed, because $10 for the county/state/etc wouldn't be enough to make writing the ticket worth it. Police would target Mercedes and BMW drivers to get the big-buck fines, leaving the rustbucket drivers to do nearly anything short of demo-derby driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson View Post
The worst experience I've had in a long, long time happened last week. Was merging onto a freeway from a cloverleaf. On my left is several lanes of traffic. On my right is a ramp merging from another freeway -- with some a-hole teenage girl in her VW Golf blabbing on the phone. I see she isn't paying attention -- but I'm ahead of her so I figure it isn't a problem. What happens? She sees me, stomps on the gas, speeds up, then cuts across the front of me because her ramp is coming to an end. If I don't hit the brakes, I'm into her.
Don't know if it is possible but it would be cool to build a universal cell phone transmitter, so when they cut you off you could tell them through their phone to hang the "F" up and pay attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGoat View Post
I think the requirements for getting/maintaining a driver's license are getting less strict.
I think the requirements are the ability to drive forward 100 feet, stop, put the car in reverse, back up 100 feet, and turn off the car. Without running into anything.

It's not only bad drivers. Sometimes it is the highway engineering staff that sucks. Here in PA, many acceleration ramps are totally inadequate for cars with less than 400 HP. Just not enough room to get up to speed. Or sometimes completely nonexistent - for instance the inner loops of a cloverleaf not having continuous space between them, but instead being separated by a concrete bridge abutment. Whoever engineered THAT setup needs a good hard kick.

Last edited by BigNick; 01-16-2007 at 10:20 PM. Reason: fixed a busted [quote] block
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
...It's not only bad drivers. Sometimes it is the highway engineering staff that sucks. Here in PA, many acceleration ramps are totally inadequate for cars with less than 400 HP. Just not enough room to get up to speed. Or sometimes completely nonexistent - for instance the inner loops of a cloverleaf not having continuous space between them, but instead being separated by a concrete bridge abutment. Whoever engineered THAT setup needs a good hard kick.

Having grown up in PA, I KNOW your pain (I-70/RT 51 comes to mind ...) come to think of it ... any of the I-70 interchanges in western PA....

I know the "speed up cause I put my turn signal on" crowd ... I didn't know they existed outside of KY.

I also know the "Parkers" ... the ones who get in the left lane and park the cruise control at the speed limit ... problem is, their speedo is out of cal, and they're actually going 5 under. (most cars sold today register under actual speed between 3 and 6 mph at 65. I think it's to accelerate the end of the warranty mileage-wise. speedo's can be +/- 10% and be considered acceptable by DOT. ... but that's a rant for another day)

Let me add trucks who pull out to pass on an uphill, knowing full well that they're only going 2 mph faster than the truck they're passing, and that they'll not be able to pass until after they crest the hill. and all the while, they're griping about all the dang four-wheelers on the road, and how THEY are God's gift to driving and highways ...

and "blinker missiles" ... those who turn on their turn signal as they start moving into your lane. they usually do a quick lane change, hence the 'missile' connotation

"impatiens" ... people who drive right up on my butt and then flash their brights expecting me to pull over to the right lane so that they can pass, when I'm already doing 15 or more over the posted limit(see lexus drivers). If you're in that much of a hurry, please, just pass me on the right. I'm probably staying in the left lane because I don't want to get stuck behind that 18 wheeler going 25 slower than me that's about 8 car lengths ahead of me, and there are about 6 people behind you who are nascar-ing it ... Flashing your brights behind me is a sure fire way to keep me in the left lane, and MAYBE even hit the coast button... Yes, I know, I'm bordering on being a Parker, but remember, I'm at 15 or more OVER, and belive me, that's not my indicated speed, that's actual ... I know my car.

My biggest peeve, however is people who just don't pay attention because they're "multi-tasking".

I average about 3K to 4K miles per month for work, and I've seen IT ALL....
-lady doing a puzzle book type puzzle (crossword puzzle?) on a 5 lane expressway DURING RUSH HOUR ..
-lady putting on eye makeup going 80+ in a ford Explorer (I 64)
-guy reading notes (sales charts) draped over his steering wheel on I-64
-guy reading the newspaper (propped up on the steering wheel) I've seen this one on all the interstates in and around Louisville, Lexington, Paducah, Evansville In, Mt Vernon Il, Cape Girardeau Mo, and everywhere in-between
-numerous idiots yakking away on the cell phone oblivious to all around them.
-Lexus drivers ... (see impatiens) nuff said

I'll get off the soapbox for now ... sorry for the long rant, but since I do so much driving as a part of my work, this thread really struck a nerve with me ...

Last edited by BobG; 01-16-2007 at 11:05 PM. Reason: forgot to add one category
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
WOW, not much more to add to this topic being I've experienced what everyone has here at one time or another.

In PA a law was enacted last year which mandates that all passive traffic is to be in the right lane, the left lane is only for passing, NOT for passive cruising. And here's the kicker, you are NOT TO PASS a car in the left lane that is over taking you. If you are caught in the right hand lane passing a car in the left you are subject to being ticketed for illegal passing. Makes sense don't it???? I haven't read at all of anyone being nailed for this. It's a joke anyway, most ignore it. I do ignore it at times when I am driving in the right lane and the lane is all chewed up, and I see the left lane as a smoother ride.

Pet Peeve in Roadway Traffic: Let's see...

Manhole covers that are below roadway surface.

Cell phones in cars dogfast to the driver's ear.

People who are on cell phones leaning over into the passengers seat to hear better

People reading, shaving, plucking eyebrows and pasting schmotz on their faces as they are driving.

DOGS ON A DRIVERS LAP OR SHOULDER .

Tail-gators.

Driver's who lay so far back in their seats while driving it looks like they are lying down.

Driver's,TRUCKER'S in particular who hog the merge lane in a construction zone where the lane merges a mile down the road, creeping along preventing traffic to merge at the merge point. IT IS ILLEGAL TO DO THIS. Both lanes are to be open to the merge point. That's just the way it is. AT least in PA it's illegal.

Truckers who refuse to let you pass them and swerve lane to lane to prevent you from passing.

Dump Truck drivers who fail to clean the lip of the tailgate where stones and gravel accumulate and bounce off the roadway and your car.

ME..knowing there will be rush hour traffic ahead, but hoping there isn't and gets stuck in it anyway.

This is off the top of my head, I am sure I could add so much more once I think about it.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in