C6 problem - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
C6 problem

I've been reading on the Corvette forum about a problem with C6 Corvettes and the top delaminating. They say it happens mostly in warm, humid climates. It's not happening in the north and not happening in the desert areas like Las Vegas and Pheonix. Well I had my top go pop today. What happens is the glue that bonds the top to the metal frame gives up and the composite top pops loose or flies off. In my case it just came about 2/3's loose. It's kinda frightening to think what would have happened if it came all the way loose. I was doing about 60 miles per hour and there was a car pretty close behind me.

If you live in Florida, Texas or any warm and humid state, don't follow behind a C6 too close unless they have the glass top. I'm going to try to get the dealer to do is replace mine with a glass top if I pay the difference. Wish me luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 02:38 PM

Your request is a reasonable one. If GM's replacing the top outright -- then you shouldn't have a problem with the upgrade. If they're doing something half-assed like gluing it back together (which I doubt), then you've got a bit of a fight.

I think the glass panels are a $750 option on a new car. Wonder what the price for a glass panel is from somebody like Fred Beans.

My Dad's looking at C6's right now. A local Jaguar dealer's got an 05 with 8K miles, totally loaded, for $41.5K asking while new ones are going for $3K under sticker. There's a color I haven't seen before, called Monterey Tintcoat Metallic, that looks absolutely stunning. Pretty neat cars. Good luck.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

I am completely frustrated with this dealer.

I called early and said I had a delamination problem with my top. The service advisor says yep, it's a common problem. I said I wasn't to confident with the new top and wondered if I could pay the difference between a transparent top and the painted one. He responded "NO!!!!! We have to put the same type of top back on it." I said I was willing to pay the difference and he said no. I asked to speak to the zone rep or the service manager and he said they'll tell you the same thing. You need to call GM.

I called the GM 800 number and filed a case with Rose from India. She was friendly enough, and put me in touch with a lady from the US, Sandy. I explained to her that my top delaminated and I would prefer a transparent top. She said that she couldn't authorize that. I told I was willing to pay the difference and she said oh, let me make a call. After 10 minutes she came back on line and said that she talked to the service manager and that he hadn't even seen my car. I told her I called and they told me to call GM. She told me to call him.

I called the service manager and again asked if I could get a trans top. NO!!!!!! Then he said I haven't even seen your car, get it in here. On lunch I ran by the dealership with the top in the bed of my truck. A service advisor looked at it and said oh, that's bad, we can't fix that one. I said could you get Dan the service manager. The advisor came back 5 minutes later and said He wants to see the car. I told him the car was in my garage, and I wasn't looking to drive it without a top. I have the mileage and the vin with me in the form of my registration. The service advisor told me they are at least 2 weeks away from a new style top being produced and that it would be 2 weeks to a month after that till they had the top. I asked for Dan again and the advisor said he needs to see the car or you're just wasting his time.

I ate lunch then headed back to work to cool off. I called the dealer again and asked for Dan. He told me he couldn't do anything without the car. I told him I'd bring the car up when the top was in and he said he couldn't order a top without the car on his lot. He needed to keep the car there. I asked if it would be kept inside since the top was half way ripped open. Nope. I asked if they would be responsible for any watter damage. Nope. He then told me he could glue the top till a new one came in. I told him the service advisor said it couldn't be fixed. He said the advisor was mistaken. I asked if GM would be responsible if the top seperated again and hit a car behind me. NOPE!!!!

Back to GM 800. Sandy at the 800 number. I told her I was willing to pay the difference in price and save GM the hassle of getting me a rental and storing my car till the top came in. She asked if I knew how much the difference was. I told her from numbers I'm seeing it's about 500-700 and even the 700 number was acceptable. She said she would call me back. She did to tell me the money difference at the dealer was 2300 if I wanted the clear top. She told me if I wanted to get the top fixed I needed to follow the dealers instructions. In other words bring him the car and let it get ruined in a Florida rainstorm.

I called the dealer for one last shot. He told me to bring the car, leave it for a couple of days and he would fix it good enough to get me through till the new top came in. I told him again, only if they kept it inside. His answer was, take it to the dealer that sold it to you, it's their problem not his. I explained to him that I got my last Camaro serviced there, my Z06 serviced there, my GTO serviced there, and this car. I also told him I sent friends there to get service. I would have bought the Vette there, but a salesman was rude and they wouldn't budge from 3k over sticker versus the 3k under sticker I got at the dealer I bought it from (90 miles away). He said sorry your problem not mine. If you want a top bring the car in.

I called Sandy back and her response was to try another dealer. By now it was 4 pm so I'm just waiting till tommorrow.

I know this much, Vann Gannaway Chevrolet in Eustis has seen the last dime they'll get from me.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
Your request is a reasonable one. If GM's replacing the top outright -- then you shouldn't have a problem with the upgrade. If they're doing something half-assed like gluing it back together (which I doubt), then you've got a bit of a fight.

I think the glass panels are a $750 option on a new car. Wonder what the price for a glass panel is from somebody like Fred Beans.

My Dad's looking at C6's right now. A local Jaguar dealer's got an 05 with 8K miles, totally loaded, for $41.5K asking while new ones are going for $3K under sticker. There's a color I haven't seen before, called Monterey Tintcoat Metallic, that looks absolutely stunning. Pretty neat cars. Good luck.
Price from Fred Beans is $1100 plus freight.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 07:41 PM

OMG man. I would be fit to be tied. I simply cannot believe (well maybe I can) the flippant and arrogant attitude of these people.

I mean c'mon, this is not a POS Cavalier or Cobalt, it's a dammit Vette. To have the attitude that you've been dealing with after the money you've already spent on this car would warrant me going off the DEEP end on these people.

Good luck. Seriously
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Man I wish I had just 10% of your patience.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6QTS11OZ
Man I wish I had just 10% of your patience.
I'd already be in jail for homicide.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 09:05 PM

Holy crap. That customer service is straight out of the stone age. You'd think GM would be on top of this -- because it's a pretty big problem on the 05s (along with the dead battery syndrome and funky clutches) and 06s. You'd think they'd want people to take the glass top.

Stay with it, FF. I'm positive GM will let you upgrade to a glass top. You might want to call a big Corvette dealer -- like Kerbeck in New Jersey or Roger's Corvette in the Orlando area.

Kerbeck might have more experience dealing with this kind of stuff -- and might have already done this for somebody else so they can guide to the right person at corporate who's already familiar with the process.

Roger's not a franchised dealer -- but they definitely have connections because they're getting brand new unregistered rolling stock all the time. They might have a service department contact they can hook you up with.

The good news is you know what you're doing. Just stay after it and you'll definitely get what you want...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Dealer number two was a much better experience. I didn't tell him about the first stop, just wanted to see how this guy did. The guy I talked to there said bring in the top and let him look at it. I did and he immediately said it couldn't be fixed and still be safe. I asked if I could upgrade to the glass top and he said he didn't think GM would allow it. He said he would call and find out for me and wait till I told him what i wanted to do.

He called me back after about 2 hours. He said "you've already talked to GM huh?" I told him I had. He said the painted top would take about 4-5 weeks. If I needed a rental he could get it for me. GM told him my car needed to be on the lot to get a rental, but he didn't really care as long as I didn't drive it. He also told me it would be about a week to 10 days for the glass top and that it would be about 750 bucks more. The top is 550 more plus it takes special mounting brackets and such. He said I would need to pay the 1600 for the glass top up front and get reimbursed from GM for the cost of the painted top. I said I wanted to talk to the GM rep and get the ok in writing for the glass top. He said ok just let him know what I wanted and he would do it.

I looked up the cost for a glass top on a new one and it's 750, so I can't complain about the cost.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 06:19 PM

That's cool. What color's your C6? That dark glass panel looks really good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in