Car & Driver is a pitiful excuse for a magazine - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Car & Driver is a pitiful excuse for a magazine

Well first you have the GTO losing to a Mustang GT that it completely crushed in performance, by the Gotta Have It Factor.

Well the nimrods at that stupid rag are at it again. The Corvette Z06 takes on the Porsche 911 Turbo and the Ferrari F430. The Corvette is faster accelerating and over 120 runs away from the others. It has a higher top speed, in fact so high they were afraid to test it to find out what the top speed is. It gets better gas mileage. It corners better. It brakes better. It's 2 seconds faster than the Porsche and 3 seconds faster than the Ferrari on a 1.6 mile road course. It costs half what the Porsche costs and a third the cost of the Ferrari.

It comes in third because it got 0 points for rear seat space and it doesn't have the Gotta Have It factor of the other 2 cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
oh well gm is like the yogo back in the 80's if they (mag) can tell it
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 06:30 PM

Is Car&Driver becoming like the New York Times?? You know, everything that's American is bad AND all that is foreign, we should all be so lucky??
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 07:13 PM

Maybe you should write the editor and see what they say.

Last edited by k1200lt; 07-22-2006 at 07:16 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 07:35 PM

Corvette with no "Gotta have it" factor?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 07:42 PM

Like it or not, Corvettes are still (for the most part) considered "middle-aged male mid-life crisis" cars...even if GM has really stepped up the performance and handling of them.

Another factor against Vettes are that the majority of individuals who can actually afford a new Porsche or Ferrari don't even consider a Vette. I know that if I could afford a new Ferrari, I'd buy one...whether or not it could out-run or out-handle the Vette.

Vettes are a dime-a-dozen out on the road these days...how many Ferraris do you pass on a daily basis?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

This was a test of performance cars, and just like the Mustang GT vs the GTO, the car with the most performance didn't win. In the GTO's case it was more expensive but only marginally so.The performance differential was way greater than the price differential. In this case the Z06 was either a half or a third the price and still was the better performer. Car & Driver has become a magazine that bases the winner on subjective catagories like is this a pretty and popular car. That's not what I want from a magazine. I want objective results. Car a is faster than car b and it brakes better and handles better for less money. If you still think car b is better because it is pretty go buy it, but the real world is car a is the better performance car.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 12:18 AM

I think the NY Times analogy is dead nuts on.

Take the Z06, remove the bow-tie and call it a Emereletto or some italian sounding name and it wins by 100000000 points.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 03:20 AM

Oh I lost faith in C&D a long time ago. Their articles have degraded from obvious bias to random incoherence. Completely discounting the car because it doesn't have a backseat is retarded. What's their excuse with the GTO/mustang GT thing? Didn't hear anyone complaining about the horrible seats in the GT then.

Nitpicking.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 12:10 PM

Do what I did. Mail the magazine back to the editor, tell him to jam it where the sun doesn't shine -- and enclose a letter canceling your subscription. They get enough people doing that -- and they'll have no choice but to be objective going forward.

The only car magazine worth reading anymore is Automotive News -- because it's actually about the automobile business -- and is fact driven.

As for all those other rags, they're just stuffed with losers. Wannabes who are always going to go for the high-dollar stuff -- because they know full and well that if they report the truth -- that GM can kick Porsche and Ferrari's ass at a fraction of the cost -- there will be no more loaners for their high-school reunions and all-expense paid junkets to Europe. And if they don't get those -- they'll be exposed for what they are -- lower middle class, khaki-wearing zeroes.

Think about it this way. Back in the good old days of car magazines, back in the 70's and 80's -- you had no idea what the writers looked like. They were just reporters. Now? They have to have their little pictures at the top of their columns -- are get themselves in every article's photos. You can almost hear their thoughts: "Gee, look at me kicking the tires of a Ferrari in Italy. Don't I look cool in my Dockers and short-sleeve JC Penney no-iron dress shirt? Wow, the chicks back in Michigan are really going to dig me. I'm famous." Yeah, right dude. Try cracking $50K a year.

I'm serious. If you're that P.O.'d about American cars getting the short end of the stick by a bunch of morons stop reading their magazine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in