The Chevy Caprice (G8) Police Car Is Back! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Chevy Caprice (G8) Police Car Is Back!

After a 15-year absence patrolling U.S. streets, an all-new law-enforcement-only Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) joins GM's fleet in 2011. Although it's built on the same rear-wheel-drive Camaro and dearly-departed Pontiac G8-spawning Zeta platform, it's not a G8 sedan.

Chevrolet plans to make the announcement of their new police cruiser today at the annual International Association of Chiefs of Police convention, in Denver, Colorado. Because we asked, we've been given an exclusive look at the details of the new car they plan to begin taking orders on next year with cars set to hit the streets in early 2011.

Contrary to reports at the end of last week by a number of auto outlets, we're now able to exclusively report GM's new police cruiser brings back the old Chevy Caprice name. It also will not be a re-badged Pontiac G8 sedan. Instead, the new Chevy uses the longest wheelbase version of the Zeta platform — 118.5" — making it almost four inches longer than the 114.7" wheelbase Pontiac G8 sedan. If that bigger-than-G8 number sounds familiar, it should — it's the same length as the Holden VE Ute, the Holden Statesman and the Middle Eastern Chevy Caprice and...drum roll, please...the Pontiac "El Camino" G8 ST. That's right folks, the new police car from Chevy is as close to the El Camino as we're coming here in the U.S. We'll give you a moment to clean up any coffee you've just spit up.

Done? Good, because there's more to the story. Chevy sounds like it's setting up the Caprice to not only meet the bar set by the police vehicle competition, but to blow it away. The long wheelbase Zeta-platformed Chevy sits right in the middle of the Ford Crown Vic's 114.7" wheelbase and the larger Dodge Charger's 120.0" wheelbase.

Under the hood, GM says the Caprice will have a 6.0-liter LS2 V8 engine rated at an estimated 355 HP and 384 lb-ft of torque mated to a six-speed auto transmission. Power output compares favorably to the 340 HP HEMI in the Dodge Charger police edition and absolutely blows away the Ford Crown Vic's 250 HP 4.6-liter V8.

We're told that bigger engine will deliver an expected best-in-class 0-to-60 time of under six seconds along with a similarly best-in-class top speed. But, for those forces uninterested in the super-sized 6.0-liter eight-cylinder engine, we're also told a V6 engine will be offered beginning in the 2012 model year.

The Caprice with both engine sizes will recieve the same police car-specific vehicle systems like high-output alternator and standard 18-inch steelies with bolt-on center caps and will ride on a heavy-duty four-wheel independent suspension and a "police-calibrated stability control system."

Chevy's cop competitive streak continues to the interior with optional compatibility available for in-dash, touch-screen computer technology (by relocating the standard radio to the trunk), two trunk-mounted batteries, with one of them dedicated to powering various police equipment and complimentary special packages such as spotlights; lockouts for the power windows and locks; and an "undercover" street-appearance package. Good luck with the "undercover" part considering there's no civilian version of the Caprice PPV.

Even the front seats have been sculpted to "pocket" an officer's equipment belt, with the foam density of the seatback and cushion insert surfaces designed to conform to the shape of an equipment belt's various items, allowing the officer's back to rest properly on the seatback surface. The barrier between the front seat and rear seat is also positioned farther rearward than the Charger or the Crown Vic, allowing for full front-seat travel and greater recline while officers take a highway-side siesta.

The new Caprice will also have significantly larger interior volume — 112 cubic feet — than the Ford Crown Victoria, including — thanks to the longer wheelbase — nearly 4 inches more rear legroom to help give handcuffed suspects a much more comfortable experience. The Caprice PPV's long wheelbase also gives it 18 cubic feet of free trunk volume. That's enough room for a full-size spare located under a flat load surface in the trunk storage area and any number of shotguns, RPGs and whatever other riot gear an officer feels like fitting into a trunk.

The new Caprice will not replace any current vehicle in the GM police vehicle fleet. Rather, it will join the Chevy Impala and the Chevy Tahoe in the bowtied brand's marked patrol vehicle lineup as a very high-powered member of GM's fraternity of police vehicles.

We can't wait to try out the driver's seat. Hopefully it'll be sometime before we try out the extra-large back seat.

My Youtube Channel
Supercharged (Roots) 6.0 GTO
Supercharged (Twin Screw) 3.0 NSX
Supercharged (Centrifugal) 4.3 S-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 01:27 PM

I like and I know where to get one and infact i might
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 03:05 PM

Finally! With the police not having much to choose from besides Chargers (Super cop cars with Hemis in them!) and Impalas, this will help boost sales for GM in the fleet line up. Because Crown Vics are so close to death that even the police don't want them any longer.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 07:15 AM

not a Ford man myself but I am sure Ford will sell every Crown Vic they can make for 2010...hopefully this on again off again Caprice will be made and will be big...seems the size matters more than all the rest today with squad cars being rolling offices...
Bill

**QSM/RH/A4/17**1 of 52**
Like what you've got?...Thank a Vet!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I would have been considerably more interested in the Pontiac G8 ST mentioned in your post. I would have camped out in line to buy one of those had they ever been produced......

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 08:21 AM

I think the problem with the ST was (besides the name...why not Sprint...a name that has Pontiac Heritage as well as the El Camino/Sprint/Caballero heritage?)...the independent rear suspension...made it so you couldn't carry near anything in it...
Bill

**QSM/RH/A4/17**1 of 52**
Like what you've got?...Thank a Vet!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I know Pontiac had the 'sprint' engine, but when I hear of a 'sprint' auto, I automaticly think of the GMC Sprint.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversport View Post
I think the problem with the ST was (besides the name...why not Sprint...a name that has Pontiac Heritage as well as the heritage?)...the independent rear suspension...made it so you couldn't carry near anything in it...
Bill
It's a 'Sport Truck' or 'Sports Truck', whatever that is. I wouldn't have carried 'near anything' in it. People didn't buy El Caminos/Sprints/Caballeros to do any type of serious hauling, did they? I know I wouldn't. That's what Silverados are for

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP11 View Post
I would have been considerably more interested in the Pontiac G8 ST mentioned in your post. I would have camped out in line to buy one of those had they ever been produced......
The first Pontiac truck since, what, 1956? Unless you count that one-off Grand Am truck they made out of an El Camino in like 1980 or '81. I was excited for the wagon version personally, but I totally would have gotten the truck had they made it.

I still think it would be in GM's best interest to bring back Pontiac in a few years. Or sell the rights to someone that's going to do more than just sit on the trademark.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 07:21 PM

I think the average person won't be able to tell the difference between the Caprice and the Impala so undercover it will still catch speeders.

They need to market it to cab companies too.

I was looking at a cop car yesterday here in Orlando and I thought it was an Impala, but it was wierd. It had the old body style Impala grill and the new style tailights. The more I look at pictures of this car the more it looks like that. Almost exactly like the bottom car with the black and white paint. I blew it off. I figured my mind was playing tricks and the front didn't look like it did when it came up on me. Now I'm wondering if I saw a test car that may have been down here for a department to look at. Orlando uses the Chevy Impala as well as most of the counties here.

Chevy should put the same motors in the Tahoe and the Caprice. Departments then have to buy one part for all their veicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in