closer look - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
closer look

Stopped by the dealer to see the new 05's up close. I have an 04 myself and wanted to check out the dif. between the two other than the ls2. As I lay on my back to behold this new and "improved dual exhaust" that dumps on both sides like all the (can't think outside the box) gear heads like and ensist on. A great smile lights up across my face, I's that, NO it cant be, YES it is the dual exhaust (both sides) going into ONE, UNO, muffler then comming out w/ 2 outlets and going into two more mufflers (one on each side) right before the exhaust dumps out. As good as it may look coming out on each side in the "traditional hotrod fashion" I'll stick w/ my TRUE DUAL EXHAUST dumping out on the driverside. Thank you Pontiac for keeping it real for 04.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:09 PM

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Big jim have you looked for your self?
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Not bagging on 05's but some improvements are not improvements.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYGOAT
Stopped by the dealer to see the new 05's up close. I have an 04 myself and wanted to check out the dif. between the two other than the ls2. As I lay on my back to behold this new and "improved dual exhaust" that dumps on both sides like all the (can't think outside the box) gear heads like and ensist on. A great smile lights up across my face, I's that, NO it cant be, YES it is the dual exhaust (both sides) going into ONE, UNO, muffler then comming out w/ 2 outlets and going into two more mufflers (one on each side) right before the exhaust dumps out. As good as it may look coming out on each side in the "traditional hotrod fashion" I'll stick w/ my TRUE DUAL EXHAUST dumping out on the driverside. Thank you Pontiac for keeping it real for 04.
Dude, that "One Uno" muffler you were looking at is not a muffler. That's a called a resonator and though there is one metal box, it is baffled (wall down the middle) so that two completely separate exhaust paths are maintained from the manifolds to the chrome tips at the end of the pipes.

The resonator is used almost as an auxillary muffler to help slow exhaust gas flow and quiet it down. Since Pontiac was looking to create a specific sound for this car, I'll bet that resonator is a key component of the LS2 signature voice.

So, Pontiac hasn't lied to the faithful, the 05 has a true dual exhaust, and you are truly uninformed.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

I could be wrong, I'm just going by what I see and Wouldnt the 04 have the same set up???
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

I plan on going SLP anyway and after seeing that I would do the same if I owned an 05
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing_Nut
Dude, that "One Uno" muffler you were looking at is not a muffler. That's a called a resonator and though there is one metal box, it is baffled (wall down the middle) so that two completely separate exhaust paths are maintained from the manifolds to the chrome tips at the end of the pipes.
The Flowmaster muffler on my Firebird is set up this same way. It allows for the muffler to sit in the stock location, but like you said, it's divided so that it maintains the "true dual" exhaust. Of course installing an x-pipe on there really defeats that avenue of thought anyway.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 04:30 PM

my, .02

The 04's have 2 resonators, 2 cats, 2 mufflers, 2 separate exhaust pipes, a "True Dual"

I don't care for the grey plastic piece in the rear lower valance or bumper, like so many other doms. & imports, or the big @ss chrome outlets like the infiniti and some others, or non functional ram air inlets on the hood. those are the reasons I chose an '04 vs '05

Now, I'm not beatin' up the '05's, they got the 6.0 Litre that will have me spending some hard earned dollars just to get past their stock output and everytime someone asks "is that the 6.0 litre?" i get to reply, "No, just the 5.7" and ONLY 350 stock hp
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westell
my, .02

The 04's have 2 resonators, 2 cats, 2 mufflers, 2 separate exhaust pipes, a "True Dual"

I don't care for the grey plastic piece in the rear lower valance or bumper, like so many other doms. & imports, or the big @ss chrome outlets like the infiniti and some others, or non functional ram air inlets on the hood. those are the reasons I chose an '04 vs '05

Now, I'm not beatin' up the '05's, they got the 6.0 Litre that will have me spending some hard earned dollars just to get past their stock output and everytime someone asks "is that the 6.0 litre?" i get to reply, "No, just the 5.7" and ONLY 350 stock hp
I love all goats but I agree, I like the cleaner look of the rear exhaust and the simple hood....but that's my .02 as well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in