Corvette Fever - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Corvette Fever

I know I am on the GTO forum, but I have been thinking of trading my 05 GTO in on a C5 Vette. It has been a year since I got rid of my Vette and I really miss it. The GTO is a great car, (better than I would have thought), but it isn't a Vette. The one I am considering is an 02 C5 A4, Electron Blue. The last Vette I had was an 04 Z06, but a low mileage Z06 is priced a little out of my current budget, so that is why I am looking at C5 coupes.
Performance wise, I am wondering how close the 350 hp C5 will be to my 400 hp GTO? The C5 is several hundred pounds less and has much better tires, so I am thinking it should be pretty close. The best thing I like about my GTO is the LS2 engine, gobs of torque, so what's not to like ?
There is one other thing that is weighing on my mind too, owning a Vette out of warranty. That is the main reason I am not looking at 01 and 02 Z06's, out of warranty and probably ran hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:19 PM

I came from an '01 Z51 six-speed Corvette Coupe to my GTO, and I'd swear the Goat's faster. Just seat-of-the-pants, really, but that's how it seems to me. With the Goat's extra heft and 50 extra ponies it's probably a wash.

Do you need a backseat? Do you care about ride height and visibility? Those are things to consider. I happen to have two boys, ages 9 and 5. That had something to do with my car swap.

The warranty thing would be a big consideration, too. I generally sell a car when the warranty's over.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:29 PM

I traded my 04 GTO for a C6 O6 Vette. The one place I find the Vette lacking is the seats. The GTO has much nicer seats and I've read on the Corvette Forum others feel the same way.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:55 PM

How old are you GTX? Insurance may shoot you down.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Coot View Post
I traded my 04 GTO for a C6 O6 Vette. The one place I find the Vette lacking is the seats. The GTO has much nicer seats and I've read on the Corvette Forum others feel the same way.
Ditto
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickinfights View Post
How old are you GTX? Insurance may shoot you down.
My insurance went down when I went from my 05 GTO to the C6. Remember, the majority of Vettes are sold to old guys that baby them.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
My insurance went down when I went from my 05 GTO to the C6. Remember, the majority of Vettes are sold to old guys that baby them.
Yeah, if you can get some history on a particular one owner vette, I wouldn't worry about it being ridden hard. You never seem to be able to get a vette to hit it with you, mostly because they (vette owners) all think no one can touch them and they needn't prove themselves to a lowly Pontiac. Wow, I think I have a chip on my shoulder, wait, its a goatchip, nevermind.

Also, you might want to see what you can sell the goat for. It seems a few people that have sold have had to eat it in the shorts. They aren't holding their value to well, in the short term anyway (I think that will change in the long run). If you have a few bucks to use for a trade in, think about putting it into your suspension (Pedders, etc.) and you'll see the goat drives like a new car (not vette-like, but way better than stock).

Just a few thoughts...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtx76 View Post
I know I am on the GTO forum, but I have been thinking of trading my 05 GTO in on a C5 Vette. It has been a year since I got rid of my Vette and I really miss it. The GTO is a great car, (better than I would have thought), but it isn't a Vette. The one I am considering is an 02 C5 A4, Electron Blue. The last Vette I had was an 04 Z06, but a low mileage Z06 is priced a little out of my current budget, so that is why I am looking at C5 coupes.
Performance wise, I am wondering how close the 350 hp C5 will be to my 400 hp GTO? The C5 is several hundred pounds less and has much better tires, so I am thinking it should be pretty close. The best thing I like about my GTO is the LS2 engine, gobs of torque, so what's not to like ?
There is one other thing that is weighing on my mind too, owning a Vette out of warranty. That is the main reason I am not looking at 01 and 02 Z06's, out of warranty and probably ran hard.

C5 versus GTO. Great race.

Here's the way I've seen it. Stick versus auto doesn't matter much in the GTO. It does in the C5. There are several gear options. For the A4 there are 2 rear axle ratios. If the car is a base car without the performance axle ratio it would have 2.73 gears and run a mid 13 1/4 mile. If it has the Z51 with the performance axle it will have 3.15 gears and run 13.2-13.3 in the 1/4.

So it's either a tenth behind the GTO or about 3 tenths. Top speed should be very close too. The GTO has more HP, but the C5 has a smaller frontal area and is slightly better in aerodynamics.

I owned my 02 Z06 out of waranty. I'll never own a Corvette out of warranty again. There are 26 computers in the car, if it has active handling. There is actually a computer that controls the operation of the right door accessories and a seperate one for the left door accessories. I had to replace one at $300. The main active handling computer is $1200. Then there are sub computer for the active handling too. There is 2 fuel tanks and 2 fuel pumps. One pump feeds fuel from the left tank into the right tank and back again. When you fill up the pumpmoves fuel from the left tank to the right tank. There is a computer that controls that plus it averages the readings between the two fuel tanks to give you a single fuel guage level reading. That computer also interfaces with the computer for the airbags. There is a sensor for the airbags that tells the computer the approximate weight of the passenger and the driver to decide how hard to fire off the airbags, or if a seat is empty to not fire at all. The fuel tank computer balances the weight of the car with fuel. If there isn't a passenger it moves more fuel to the right tank. You get the picture, very complex car. I wouldn't own one without a GMPP.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 08:27 PM

I have mentioned this before. My crappy 2000 sunfire is more to insure than my goat.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
Yes, how true. My GTO and my Z06 cost less to insure than my WS6 did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in