Been working on it for a while now... index is done woohoo

http://www.silestudio.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Color palette's good. Some folks will no doubt bitch that the beige type on a grey background will be hard to read. It's OK to me, though.

However, the height of your design is too tall. I have to scroll to the bottom to see all of the live area. Also, whenever you hit anything in the main nav -- like company, services, portfolio -- you have to wait for the upper portion of the site to refresh (the flash work to do its thing). I'd look at figuring out a way of having that feature work when the home page comes up on the initial visit -- then keeping in place after that.

There's a book that came out earlier this year. It's called "Call to Action" by Bryan and Jeffery Eisenberg. It's something like $15 from Amazon. These guys specialize in web site conversion -- and are really, really good at it. I read this book during the summer -- and completely overhauled the design of my upcoming e-commerce company's site as a result. My web designer quit on me over it -- but I'm in business to make money -- not to have people look around and leave. Good luck. Great idea to test your site out before launching.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

I'll take your advice on just using the flash on the homepage. I may just set a cookie, and if you've visited the site in the past 12 hours the flash won't play, but if you haven't then the flash will play on the first page you visit, and hten that's it... We'll see how it works
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 08:44 PM

I think it could stand to be a tab bit bigger. Just slightly larger text and all.

It looks very good though, very professional looking.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevnR6
It looks very good though, very professional looking.
Thanks, I was shooting for the most professional site I have done yet, since I am only 18 it's hard for people to take my web design, and internet knoweldge for that matter, seriously... So hopefully with this site and my other site, TJMAudio, they will see that I have some experience in the fields.

I will check into making the text larger... The only problem is if I have to redo all my tables, because everything is fit in so tightly...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

b_a_betterperson, is this better? http://www.silestudio.com/page.php?p...=index-1&rfp=0
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 10:07 PM

Yep, the 1 time flash is a big improvement. I'd still reduce the height so folks don't have to scroll. Check out http://www.restorationhardware.com. See how their entire site fits in your screen? If you look at some of your pages, you'll see that you've got some dead space at the bottom of them. By reducing the height a bit -- it's a win-win. No dead space -- no scrolling.

Have to compliment you on your willingness to ask for and take feedback. A lot of people in the design and advertising business get so wrapped up in their ideas that they don't to feedback from potential customers. Good luck.

Again, check out that book I mentioned. There are things you can do to your homepage which will really help the sell-through. Stuff like driving people to take action -- directing them to a special feature or package. For example? Maybe you devote a chunk of your site to a promotion, such as "Need To Build A Web Site For Your Business? Get Started By Clicking Here."

It's that kind of stuff that drives sales -- and makes you money. Keep up the good work, my friend. You're doing a great job. Always keep your eyes open and be willing to learn. You're 18. I'm an old fart at 42. I've learned more this year than I've ever learned before. And since I've got a dinner reservation at 8:30 -- I've learned that if I don't get out of here now -- my wife's going to blow her stack.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
I've learned that if I don't get out of here now -- my wife's going to blow her stack.
10:30 here

You have to scroll on your browser? If you don't mind me asking, what's your resolution at? Because if there is "dead space" that's because I have height at 100% autostretch, that way there is not white space on the page no matter the resolution. My resolution is currently 1280x1024, looks good from here... Sure there's some dead space, but it will probably be filled as I get more ideas...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 08:23 AM

Looks pretty darn good
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTPWR
Looks pretty darn good
Thanks, starting to get more links active now. Through my years of making websites and not publishing (just messing around with coding, etc) I made it a habit of not validating my script... Did a XHTML 1.0 validation and had like 200 errors

Time to go through and rescript each page...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in