LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
A Day at Watkins Glen

The weekend of June 5, the GTOAA, Susquehanna Valley GTO and the Western GTO Club of NY accepted in invite to enjoy a weekend of Racing, VIP treatment, and fun at the Glen.

We were afforded the opportunity to experience a lap drive on the track at high speed just before the KONI challenge on Friday the 5th. Lead by the G8 pace car we entered the track and gave the goats a "NASCAR" workout. I hit 120 mph in the 05' going into the first turn, backed off and nailed it again for the 2nd turn, I took pics from the drivers seat at 90+ mph. What a rush. Was a thrill of a lifetime.

Fri afternoon we were invited on the track to stage the KONI race cars. It was a thrill to be on the track as the cars started their engines.

We enjoyed the Bush camping series race on Sat morning again being afforded the opportunity to be up close and personal with the drivers and mechanics.

The Grand-Am Rolex race was the "Koo-degauss" as Matt Connolloy invited us in their tent as they were preparing for the race. I told him,,,, NICE CAVALIER when I saw the GTO-R on jack stands, he just shook his head... LIKE WE ALL DOOOOOOOOO. He was very gracious to us and we got to see up close what goes on in their area preparing for an event like this.

The whole weekend of road racing up close and personal was just an awesome time. Being affiliated with the GTOAA will get you certain perks like this. Bill Vantuono did an amazing job setting this up and I enjoyed assisting, and helping him, it took a lot of work with little notice but it was well worth it. Even with Pontiac going down the tubes, we are looking forward already for next year and expanding to more GTOAA clubs to experience what we did this year.

Here are just a few pics of the weekend:

On the track>

Close up of the Engine Bay of the GTO-R>

Me with Matt Connolloy in his pit before the race>

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
A few more:

Some got to experience a HOT LAP with Shane, one of Matt's drivers just before the race. The Hot Lap was in a G8 GXP. Here is a link to a hot lap at 140 mph.

www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 06-18-2009 at 07:37 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 07:57 AM
REX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Excellent stuff! Thanks for sharing!!

Did you get any specs on the GTO-R? Top speed, hp, anything?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
great experience, its a must do!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REX View Post
Excellent stuff! Thanks for sharing!!

Did you get any specs on the GTO-R? Top speed, hp, anything?
We were told the car has less HP than our stock ones. Go figure. They have to conform to the rules governing the Grand-Am Rolex rules. The motor didn't look near as large as ours.

Don't know top speed but they hit speeds upward of 190 mph. It moves.
I took the pics on their first pit stop, the car wrecked a 1/2 mile later. The rear end went out. They had the rear end out of the car before the beginning of the race, it was laying there in the pit area, we were told the rear didn't feel right during the qualifying run. They did get the car back on the track late in the race Matt then drove it and radioed in he was having a blast and wasn't coming in ...... Anyone going to the GTOAA/POCI Co-Vention there will be a lengthy DVD on the whole weekend, with up close and candid shots.

Speed Channel filmed our corral and cars and me, and Bill were to be interviewed regarding the demise of Pontiac and racing but we never got on camera. Was a hectic weekend for them.

www.gtoaa.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in