User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dilemma with my dogs! Help!

Well, here's the problem...

I've got two beautiful, female yellow labs that I love to death. The 2.5 year old, Kasey, is full blood. The 1.5 year old, Kota, is part heeler mix but looks just like a full blood lab. My wife and I are building a house in a neighborhood that doesn't allow for much of a yard. I know the labs will be miserable at the new house because they love to run around and play in the pool. I love the dogs, but it seems wrong of me to completely cut off their fun time except for a few walks. I'm considering giving them up to a good home, but I don't want to do that and regret it. Any advice or people willing to adopt them? They're both fixed and are up to date on all shots and get monthly heartworm treatments. They've got a fair amount of training. They know the basics and are really good about retrieving something from the water and bringing it back. Very loving dogs, awesome with our young nieces and nephews, great with the other animals in the house (small dachsund and cat). They're free to a good home, the one stipulation being that I get to come by and see them at least every other month. I'm at a loss. I love 'em to death, but I feel horrible subjecting them to a 15 square foot back yard or a cage for the majority of the time. Here's some pics of 'em...

Kasey (2.5 year old full blood)

Kota (1.5 year old lab/heeler mix)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 03:35 PM

They will be more miserable without the owner they love and trust. Besides you can't trust somebody else to take care of them the way they should be. They are very pretty dogs and look happy right where they are.

Last edited by 04goatgirl; 08-11-2006 at 03:38 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

I hadn't thought of it like that.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 08:27 PM

Give them a shot at the small yard first. If there's a way to give them access to the garage during the day -- by all means do so with a dog door of some kind. You'd be surprised. With enough chew toys and stuff, and a good walk every evening -- they'd be fine. Train them to catch a Frisbee -- that way you can tire them out via wind sprints without having to run around too much yourself.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 09:18 PM

I ran into the same problem moving from North Carolina to Northern Virginia. We went from living in a house to an apartment up on the fourth floor. We knew it wasn't going to be the best for our dog, 1.5 year old black lab, but we couldn't give her up. At least we take her for walks and she has plenty of chew toys. She's a happy dog, so your dogs should be fine too.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 02:43 AM

Is there a Korean resturant around? Sorry,had to. Don't give them up, if you give them attention they dont care if they are in a box...
I would not even consider building something like that that would cut my yard down for the doggies...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

The Chinese restaurant a couple blocks over already offered to take them. "We make-ah dem comfotable! Giv dem niiice soft bed of lice (rice)!"

I went home and played with them last night. I couldn't believe I even considered giving them up. I'll see how they adapt to their new digs in about a month.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 09:44 AM

naw man you shouldn't give them up, they love you and your family. As long as you can continue to spend time with them they wouldn't care where the stay.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 05:07 PM

I don't care if my yard is a small strip of grass, I wouldn't ever give up my dogs (1 yr old black lab, 6 month old Shepard/Husky and 3 yr old Pom/Sheltie).
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 06:35 PM

The fact that you have 2 is a plus. They will amuse each other.

There's a lot of people that will throw a couple of dogs in a pen, or tie them up, and the only attention they get is being fed and/or cussed at to "shut the hell up". I don't understand that kind of thinking.

I hope it works out for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in