Dish Network- - Beware! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dish Network- - Beware!

Anyone looking to go HD (like me) be careful signing up for it with Dish Network. I'm enduring the hell this weekend of a Dish Network installation.

They scheduled me for 12 Noon-5 p.m. Friday. Tech showed up at 7 p.m. Didn't have everything he needed so he had to run to Lowes. Came back with another tech around 9 p.m. They were both here, and in the house until after 11 p.m.

Receiver (DVR 622) doesn't work. It will be Sunday p.m. before they get another receiver to me. In the meantime, no satellite service.

Don't know what's going on with Dish and their relationship with installers/techs. Guy hadn't been here 10 minutes when he told me he was only making $28 on this install. I told him I found that amazing since Dish told me the install would include up to 50' of cable/trenching, along with installing the new dish and receiver.

When he found out the old location wouldn't work, and the dish needed to be moved about 30', he wanted to either cut down a tree, or mount it on my house, and kept pushing for that. (Hence the trip to Lowes to buy a post).

Anyhow, got up early this a.m., and tried to solve the reciever problem myself, called Dish and went through their troubleshooting scheme- - -then found out I had screwed the installers further by calling Dish, and Dish would be penalizing the installers because of a problem with Dish hardware!

Incredible. Hopefully, it will work itself out soon.

Also the Dish phone tech told me the VIP 622 DVR has software problems, which they are working on a patch to be pushed out soon. Great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
YA got to specify NO subcontractors.....

The bad subs give the good ones bad names.

I did not go with Dish yet.... but when inquiring I specified NO subs and was told no problem... I'd demand Dish to send out their own installers.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 01:52 PM
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ

If you can get Verizon's Fios in your area, GET IT! Satellite quality w/o the interference of clouds/storms!

2005 IBM M6
Weld Prostars
Flowmaster Super 40's
Chris White Guage Changes
HPE Cam Package(S-Cam, AR LT's,Lingenfelter CAI,UD Pulley, X-Pipe, Ported Factory Intake)
BMR Drag Bags
440/396
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noz34me
Anyone looking to go HD (like me) be careful signing up for it with Dish Network. I'm enduring the hell this weekend of a Dish Network installation.

They scheduled me for 12 Noon-5 p.m. Friday. Tech showed up at 7 p.m. Didn't have everything he needed so he had to run to Lowes. Came back with another tech around 9 p.m. They were both here, and in the house until after 11 p.m.

Receiver (DVR 622) doesn't work. It will be Sunday p.m. before they get another receiver to me. In the meantime, no satellite service.

Don't know what's going on with Dish and their relationship with installers/techs. Guy hadn't been here 10 minutes when he told me he was only making $28 on this install. I told him I found that amazing since Dish told me the install would include up to 50' of cable/trenching, along with installing the new dish and receiver.

When he found out the old location wouldn't work, and the dish needed to be moved about 30', he wanted to either cut down a tree, or mount it on my house, and kept pushing for that. (Hence the trip to Lowes to buy a post).

Anyhow, got up early this a.m., and tried to solve the reciever problem myself, called Dish and went through their troubleshooting scheme- - -then found out I had screwed the installers further by calling Dish, and Dish would be penalizing the installers because of a problem with Dish hardware!

Incredible. Hopefully, it will work itself out soon.

Also the Dish phone tech told me the VIP 622 DVR has software problems, which they are working on a patch to be pushed out soon. Great.
I can speak with 8 years of experience. I used to oversee all Texas sales for DIRECTV, and I know first hand that installer is making at LEAST $85....more like $100 with all the cost of materials. We include up to 100 ft of cable run. It is true that they penalize their installers (we do as well) for not conforming to industry standards.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 07:03 PM

We got Dish Network a year ago. The installation was fast an efficient. For the dish (which is maybe 30" diameter), the installer brought a steel pole and set it with some bagged concrete mix. He even helped us move some furniture around when we put a second box in another room. Could be just the small-town location that were in, but we had a great experience so far with them. Only dislike I have about the dish is that its not reliable in bad weather.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 11:25 PM

Wow, sorry about your trouble. We have had nothing but excellent service from DISH. We have been a customer for over 8 years and that includes a time when we went to HD. Recently we moved from Wyoming to Kansas. The DISH mover worked flawless with the SUB contractor arriving only a few minutes late and the receivers worked great. A year later, the reciever went out and was replaced in two days. DISH has been nothing but good to us, sorry you are having so much difficulty.
While in Wyoming, a subcontractor for DISH tried to rip us off by charging huge prices. I called DISH and they were on the phone to the subcontractor in minutes including getting my money back.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 11:47 PM

Me to

When they were instaling my dish on the roof they tore my gutters up bent the **** out of them 700 F dollars worth of damge then left with say any thing I din not notice until later that eveing poor install, instead of routing the wires around the gutter just put owe it then i had to take them to small claims court to get my money!!! beware is right!!!

ʞuıɥʇ noʎ ʇ,uop 'ǝɹɹɐzıq
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 12:06 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 01:02 AM

Every time I see work done by home "professional" installers - whether it be installing refrigerators, dishwashers, satellite dishes et cetera I'm reminded why I do it myself. To paraphrase Hank Hill, I don't feel right about trusting someone I wouldn't loan a mechanical pencil to in installing a major appliance for me.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGTOWISH
When they were instaling my dish on the roof they tore my gutters up bent the **** out of them 700 F dollars worth of damge then left with say any thing I din not notice until later that eveing poor install, instead of routing the wires around the gutter just put owe it then i had to take them to small claims court to get my money!!! beware is right!!!
They pushed hard on me to install the dish on my house. Of course, it's easier for them, but I said no way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in