Dyno Disappointment - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dyno Disappointment

After 12 Months I am getting my car back form Scot Hail. I have posted some of the horror stories before.
The car was to be picked up on the 2nd. well it was done when my father arrived to CO ffrom MA. He is still waiting to taje delivery until the morning.
It was dynoed and tuned last night.
What I had done icluded..a PTE 74GTS turbo, FMIC, stage II heads, turbo cam, as well as a complete fuel system. There were other supporting parts of course.
Before I sent the car out last September, I was quoted that the kit alone would produce between 585 and 600 rwhp. that is without the heads and cam.
After the tune.. it produced a peak of about 520 rwhp at 4psi but hovered are the 480 mark. Really it wouldn't have bothered me that much but after all the other bull**** it really got to me. Between parts and labor it cost over 13,000. The boost contoller that was included in the price wasn't even installed. It along with the borla exhaust and all the gauges is piled up in the back seat.
Also I paid to have everything ceramic coated wasn't done. This guy claims that due to time contraints he couldn't finish everything. He took delivery of the car last September 26.
Now I'm going to have to file a civil suit to at least try and recover from all this. After over 17,000 total invested in the project I'm a bit heated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 01:56 AM

That really sucks!

You would think paying that kind of money you should at least expect the job to be completed! And a year later??? You have every right to be pissed! Hindsight is always 20/20, but for $7K more you could have gotten a real beast from MTI in Houston. 7.5 liter (455 c.i.) big block claiming 605/610 naturally aspirated.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

thanks...the army doesn't pay me enough for the 455..but it would have been nice. a spent all of my re-enlistment bonus on this..and haven't been able to come home from korea because i have no car to drive
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please don't take this wrong because I truly feel your pain as well on this issue. But you should NEVER pay someone up front to do a job. NEVER!! I do feel that you won't have a problem winning your lawsuit against this guy. Hopefully you have something in writing that states the "alleged" power gains from the mods. If not, it's your word against his. Regardless, good luck with this. No matter how anyone look at this, you truly didn't deserve to get the treatment that you did.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6QTS11OZ View Post
Please don't take this wrong because I truly feel your pain as well on this issue. But you should NEVER pay someone up front to do a job. NEVER!! I do feel that you won't have a problem winning your lawsuit against this guy. Hopefully you have something in writing that states the "alleged" power gains from the mods. If not, it's your word against his. Regardless, good luck with this. No matter how anyone look at this, you truly didn't deserve to get the treatment that you did.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 09:01 AM

its a simple problem with your setup actually. Comign from teh turbo world teh reason your setup produce so little power, is simply turbo selection. 74mm inducer turbos are meant to live int the 20-35psi range. You have yourself a high pressure turbo. They are only effecient at that range, if that little boost was to be used they should have used a turbo that is low pressure high volume similar to those of a to4s - 58mm inducer turbo, or possibly a full size to4b. i'm sorry to hear abo0ut your low power figures but don;t worryas soon as you open up with teh booost that turbo will really shine. but 4 psi don;t expect it to make more power than a t28(peashooter turbo) @ 4 psi.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 09:15 AM

I agree with turbodude here. 4psi barely worth having a turbo on the car- with the compression of the LS1 and the supporting mods you have, I would run no less than 9-10 psi, probably more than that personally- but I like to push things . I promise you that extra 5 psi, with a proper tune will put you well into the expected HP range. Yes, they are made for higher boost, but it will work- you just need to turn the wick up a bit .

As for the other issues, no use commenting as it has all been said before- I do wish you the best of luck though and I don't think I'd be nearly as nice as you are about it .

Joe
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 01:32 AM

Wear your uniform to court wont hurt...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
I agree with turbodude here. 4psi barely worth having a turbo on the car- with the compression of the LS1 and the supporting mods you have, I would run no less than 9-10 psi, probably more than that personally- but I like to push things . I promise you that extra 5 psi, with a proper tune will put you well into the expected HP range. Yes, they are made for higher boost, but it will work- you just need to turn the wick up a bit .

As for the other issues, no use commenting as it has all been said before- I do wish you the best of luck though and I don't think I'd be nearly as nice as you are about it .

Joe
The bottom end of a LS1 or LS2 won't hold together with anything more than 8lbs of boost for very long. Most people that don't touch the bottom end do 4-6 psi.

Turbodude is exactly right in the choice of turbo being all wrong. High volume low psi for the LSx is the right set-up unless you change the connecting rods and upgrade the crank.

The guy that built this for you isn't very reputable. I had a friend that took his car to a speed shop to have heads and cam and headers done. It was a LS1 Camaro SS and the guy doing the work told him he would get 400-420 RWHP from a specific set-up. When first done the car only made 360 RWHP and ran poorly. The owner of the shop played with the car for months. He changed the intake sent the heads back to have them reworked. Re-tuned until he got the car where it should have been. Turned out the heads were ground wrong and the guy that did the head job replaced them and the intake was the wrong intake for the cam. The only thing the speed shop charged my friend for was the difference in part costs. The intake was cheaper so he got money back and the heads were switched to LS6 heads so he paid the difference which was only a couple hundred bucks. He ended up with 425RWHP, more than he was promised and this speed shop had at least 40 extra hours in his car.

It's a darn shame this place is taking advantage of you. Good luck Yellow04GTO.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 09:00 PM

my name aint turbodude for nothin good luck with your situation, first try to get some answers from them and if they do not help with getting some of your money back, call the bbb, and then post on every lsx board there is about these guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in