Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
End of the Line: GM Builds Last Chevrolet SSR

End of the Line: GM Builds Last Chevrolet SSR
Date posted: 03-21-2006

It's the end of the SSR era for Chevrolet. The last one rolled
off the line in Lansing, Michigan, on St. Patrick's Day.
(Photo courtesy of Chevrolet)

LANSING, Michigan Chevrolet's gorgeous but ill-starred SSR pickup/roadster has reached the end of the line.

The last 2006 SSR rolled out of the General Motors Craft Centre here on Friday, March 17. During its brief three-year production run, GM built fewer than 25,000 SSRs, including just 789 units this year.

The SSR was plagued by issues throughout its short lifespan, including quality problems, too much weight, not enough power and a breathtaking sticker price. The bottom line was dismal sales, resulting in mountains of unsold vehicles that stacked up on dealer lots.

Despite numerous tweaks in performance and price, Chevrolet never did quite get the formula right. It replaced the anemic 5.3-liter V8 with a 395-horsepower 6.0-liter unit from the Corvette, added a six-speed manual transmission and, finally, dropped the MSRP from $43,180 to $39,890. Those changes barely moved the needle.

As demand remained flat, production plunged from 16,000 units in 2004 to 3,250 in 2005. Chevy sold 8,000 SSRs last year, but many of those were leftovers from the previous year.

Automotive News, the trade journal, reported that as of March 1, there were still an estimated 2,500 SSRs left in Chevy showrooms. GM is offering $1,000 rebates on the truck, and anxious dealers are shaving even more off the stickers, hoping to move their remaining units.

What this means to you: Another collectible. But this one came at a bad, bad time for GM.

Randy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am soooo sad about this. I got one of the last chevy ssr's they are a beautiful car. They will be dearly missed. Heres to an american legend.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 11:07 AM

They never did anything for me. I kept trying to look at them, but sorry, they just didn't do it for me...
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 01:40 PM

I would love to have an SSR. If I could ever pick an 05 up for about $30k I would take it. Its a cool car/truck, but if enough people aren't buying them, then it makes it tough. I'm sure gas prices aren't helping.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 04:42 PM

They should have brought the Holden Ute here. The SSR was just way too fat being based off the truck platform. The interior is top notch and the convertible idea is cool, but you can't use it as a pickup and it wasn't very sporty as a Vert. IMO that's what killed it. Also it should have gotten the LS motor right out of the box. I know a guy that bought 1 of the first 04's and paid 15k over sticker for it. He's kicking himself now.

Oh well, R.I.P. SSR.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 07:04 PM

They will be an interesting footnote in GM's history. Probably remembered as the world's first production concept car. Awesome convertable top though. Wouldn't mind driving that to work.

Funny thing is, the production life of the GTO is about the same.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 09:54 PM

Yeah the gas mileage is actually a little bit better than my GTO. The problem is that they never advertised the ssr. Same as the GTO. I love mine. I drive it a ton, its a fun car. Great for going to the grocery store or shopping. I can fit more unneeded stuff in the ssr, than the gto. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in