LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Fast n Loud

So, I'm sitting here watching part II of the episode where they're restoring the 68 Shelby Mustang. Of course they did what they always do, and cheap-skated and cut corners on everything. Last week, I watched them put el-cheapo generic parts store oil in the freshly rebuilt engine for the first fire-up. It ran fine - for a few minutes. Then it started shaking and acting up. They shut it down, drained the oil --- lo and behold it's full of metal. So what did these geniuses do? That's right, they put in fresh oil and tried it again.

It got worse.

So they bring in the engine builder to have a look. They pulled the intake and well whaddya know... two stuck lifters, a flattened cam, and an engine full of metal shavings. All because these morons don't have a clue about breaking in a fresh engine with a flat-tappet cam. They should have used high-zinc oil and they should have pulled the inner springs for the break-in but noooo... they had to go cheap again and this time it bit them in their collective bo-hunkusses. After paying to have it rebuilt (again), the next time at least they used good oil and appear to have gotten lucky - on the engine.

Now they're f*rting around with an electical problem because they were (surprise) too cheap to replace the 45 year old wiring harnesses.

I wouldn't let these idiots within 20 feet of my car.

Bear

Hah! So now he's showing it to a prospective driver, and the thing doesn't even have a headliner in it.

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

Last edited by BearGFR; 11-26-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 06:46 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I wouldn't buy anything from Richard. He is a modern day huckster/shyster.

Can you imagine how he runs his restaurant??

The have neat cars on there but he is a total slimy used car salesman to the core.

And I don't like how he treats people either. Like they are all schmucks to take advantage of.

But I watch the show......
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Yeah, I don't like the guy. Did you ever watch Graveyard Cars? Didn't like those guys either but for different reasons. They seemed to know what they were doing from a technical standpoint but as human beings, especially the boss, they were just rude and abrasive people. They way he talked to his employees, I was amazed he had any employees (or teeth) left.

I watch Fast N Loud too though - it's entertaining when the decisions they make come back to bite them If I saw right, next week they're building a Trans Am. I'm already cringing from thinking about how they're going to ruin it.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just watched that episode. They said they put a zinc additive in the conventional oil(I wonder if it was ZDDP) and found out it didn't work for break-in. Oooops.... Some cars he does right, but most are quick fixes and flip. Some he just does a wash job and flips.

Yeah, I watch it too. 1hr of entertainment. Woo!

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I'm guilty too....the one car they did do right (68 mustang Vert) got wrecked on the first shakedown drive. I loved the F1 fiasco when the installer cracked a 6000.00 windshield...Richard was sweating having 300,000 tied up in that car until his moneybags partner decided he was gonna keep it. Also i liked that they kept the 427 vette in as found condition and just replaced with the factory suspension and correct motor. I was waiting for them to airbag it and throw in a 350. The fact that he he losses his ass every time he takes a car to auction should tell them something. Main reason i have kept watching was this seasons promo where they are driving a 67' GTO but someone else probably built that car for the commercial...

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Greatly entertaining show..... yea, garage of fools but I like Arron's ideas and style.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 01:15 PM

I'm only a couple of years into the hobby and I question a lot of the things they do. And dare I say, I probably know more about engine work than they do...well, at least on Pontiac I do .
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Umm.... a flat tappet cam/lifter can be either mechanical (solid) or hydraulic.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't buy a windshield wiper blade from those clowns. Way too many corners are cut in their builds. Richard does ask some ridiculous prices for his crap cars but if someone is uneducated and willing to pay close to what he asks... well... more power to him. If Richard would pay as much attention to the cars as he does his f'n hair, he'd probably put out some decent rides.

As for Aaron being labeled as a so-called master mechanic... I don't see it. He's as basic as they come. He just seem to have better ideas than Richard.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bearded Goat View Post
Greatly entertaining show..... yea, garage of fools but I like Arron's ideas and style.

...But I had to laugh at Tom when he does his "Buford T. Justice // Jackie Gleason" impression in the episode to be broadcast on Dec. 9, 2013 (saw the preview of this upcoming episode).

...And when they rebuilt the Shelby 350 -H (former rental car), they forgot to include the "H" after the "350."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in