Finally legal - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Finally legal

Ok, I knew the title was incorrect when I bought the car. Got a bill of sale at the same time with title number and correct vin number. Went to get it in my name but did not have the car with me at the time. SInce it was an out of state car it needed to be verified. Got it drivable and took it up. YEP vin is incorrect. Told to go back thru state of missouri. Missouri tells me just have it inspected by the OHP. I get it inspected. They have no record of it being registered. Of course it had been sitting for 10 yrs. Go back to the tag office. They don't care who's inspected it I need something from missouri. Call back and explain it again. Got a very helpful girl named mia. SHe promised to research it and send out that letter. 2 months later I get a call. They are back to 1985 and the title is still wrong. After another 2 months I call again. Nope still nothing but thay have to order microfilm and go thru it manually. 20 min later Mia calls back. They found it. Car was re sold in aug 1969 and the missing digits happened then. They sent the letter and 2 trips to the tag office here and WOO HOO I have a title. technically I am the second "legal" owner. 6 month and a little leg work but finally own the car I have $7k invested in. hahahah Well soon to be $10k but you get the idea. 237676 is the beginning of the VIN and someone missed one of those 76's

https://www.gtoforum.com/signaturepics/sigpic18842_1.gif

1966 Pontiac Lemans Convertible
389 tri power
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats!!.......... You are LUCKY, with the investigation it could have ended up as as stolen car and the car being taken from you. Others haven't been as lucky as you. Glad it all worked out. Make copies of the paperwork and keep the original paperwork in a safe box.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wow! Quite the story. Amazing how it was screwed up way back in '69. Glad it worked out.....

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

It never left missouri. Built in Kansas city and stayed in missori it's entire life. But I am amazed that nobody (i assume it was sold more than twice) cared to check the title vs the VIN. The guy I got it from didn't know. But I guess the second owner could have kept it from 69 to 1995 ish when the guy I got it from bought it. At one point someone put in a new trunk floor fixed both rear quarters and a few other small things (very little bondo on it) It was loved until the goober I got it from got it. At that tme he painted the parchement interior Black and painted EVERYTHING (chrome, bumpers, carb,ect) black. Couldn't even really figure out why he parked it. May have been because of the wiring to the starter. Could have been a bad master cylinder. Or maybe he relized he ruined it and didn't want to be seen in public with it anymore. I put fresh gas in it. Fixed the brakes changed the oil and drove it. Even accelerator pump was still good in the carb.

https://www.gtoforum.com/signaturepics/sigpic18842_1.gif

1966 Pontiac Lemans Convertible
389 tri power
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in